Old Wardour Castle  
History 

Old Wardour Castle was built at the end of the fourteenth century by John Lovel. The land had been owned by the St Martin family, but when Sir Lawrence de St Martin died in 1385 it was handed over to Lord Lovel for reasons unknown. Using the master mason William of Wynford, Lovel built the oddly shaped castle in 1393. The main section of the castle is hexagonal with a hexagonal inner court and a central well. The front section of the castle is rectangular that intersects the main hexagon and contains the Great Hall and large windows. The back half of the castle was destroyed in 1644 during the English Civil War, when explosions were set off underneath. The castle now belongs to English Heritage. (Coming soon, A Medieval Mystery more...
 Rotation  
 View
 Click on images for larger versions
 
Other 
Caernarfon Castle
Cleeve Abbey
Concentric Castle
Framlingham Castle
Motte and Bailey
Old Wardour Castle
Orford Castle
Rochester Castle
Tintern Abbey
White Tower
Free Download 
Old Wardour
  Medieval TimeRef Home Page