Services - Buffalo Soldier Monument

photo of the Buffalo Soldier Monument Colonel Benjamin Grierson formed the 10th Cavalry on 21 September 1866 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. It, along with the 9th Cavalry, 24th and 25th Infantry, formed the first all-black regiments in the Regular United States Army. In western Kansas, the Kiowa encountered the soldiers of the 10th as valiant opponents and termed them the "Buffalo Soldiers." In time, the term designated all of the black soldiers in all four regiments. The Buffalo Solders left Fort Leavenworth to win repeated honors on the plains and in the west. In 1898 the Buffalo Soldiers fought in Cuba winning praise from Theodore Roosevelt and his Rough Riders for their critical role in the battle for Santiago. The Buffalo Soldiers also served on the Mexican border before the American entry into the First World War.

On 1 July 1909, the Army formed the Command and General Staff School Support Detachment, Colored. On 12 October 1931, these troops became the 10th Cavalry (minus the 2nd Squadron and the Machine Gun section). From 1931 to 1940, the 1st Squadron of the 10th Cavalry served at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The major function they performed in the peacetime years of the first half of the twentieth century was as essential support troops for the Command and General Staff College.

Additional Information about the Buffalo Soldier: