IvyStone Consulting Services
Not everyone enters the college application process at the same point or in the same way, and IvyStone's counseling is available in several configurations to accommodate parents and students. Our plans range from three-year high school packages to per-case sessions, depending on when a student begins working with us. We also offer an "abridged" advising option for those families who wish to conduct their search more independently but would like some help along the way.
- The initial consultation will be with the student and parents. Here, we will define educational objectives and priorities, making sure that students and parents alike have an understanding of the goals and paths you have in mind.
- The raw materials: We will conduct a thorough evaluation of the student's background in the three major areas: academic, personal and extracurricular. Students will need to submit a high school transcript, your school's college profile, copies of all official College Board testing (SAT I, SAT II, ACT, AP, IB, etc.) and the student's current class schedule. Students and parents will bring the completed questionnaires from our initial consultation.
- The organization: We will help to organize the process and information so students will feel comfortable with the deadlines and expectations of the application process, including testing, applications and interviews.
- The college list: We will conduct broad research based on the information we have discussed. We want to find the best "fit" for the four-year college experience. Sometimes, we find schools students had not considered up until this point! This conversation will also allow us to talk about application options (early decision, early action, regular decision).
- The college visit: At this point, we will focus the college list, which will allow students and families to spend the time on the schools that make the most sense for you, both in terms of visiting and applications.
- The application and essays: Highlighting your outstanding qualities in the application process and essays, including extracurricular achievements, letters of recommendation, awards, and background information, can make all the difference in college acceptance., How can students present the "best you" there is? We will show you how. We also provide feedback via e-mail on one complete application after this session.
- The interview: IvyStone offers intensive preparation for alumni and on-campus interviews through simulated interviews. We will talk about the interaction and work on communication skills, which are important every step of the way.
- The choice: Congratulations! We offer guidance in choosing among college acceptances.
Please contact Judith for a fee schedule and to discuss consulting arrangements.