1882 - St. Andrew’s Ambulance Association was created by a number of doctors and businessmen in Glasgow, who were concerned with the increase in the number of people being injured in the rapidly expanding industrial city. First aid classes were organised, stretcher stations were set up in chemist shops in central Glasgow and an ambulance was bought.
Over the coming years affiliated branches were formed and ambulance associations in other towns and cities began to join with St. Andrew’s
1891 - Dr. George Beatson's Ambulance Handbook was published by the Association. This book was the standard textbook in First Aid until 1932.
1904 - The various ambulance corps in Scotland were brought together in one administration as the St. Andrew’s Ambulance Corps. The aim was to keep together those people who had been trained in first aid so that they could improve their first aid skills by practicing together and would be available at public gatherings.
1918 – The St. Andrew’s and Red Cross Scottish Ambulance Service was established with the help of ambulances of the British Red Cross Society no longer in use after the First World War.
1937 - Royal Patronage was granted to the Association, with HRH The Queen Mother as Patron. HRH The Princess Royal is now the Association’s Patron.
1948 - The National Health Service was formed and contracted St Andrew's and Red Cross Scottish Ambulance Service to provide the ambulance service in Scotland.
1967 - The British Red Cross society withdrew from the ambulance service, which became St Andrew's Scottish Ambulance service. The Association became the sole contractor for the provision of the ambulance service in Scotland.
1974 - The National Health Service was re-organised and St Andrew's Scottish Ambulance Service was taken over by the National Health Service. St. Andrew’s continued to provide First Aid services and training throughout the country.
1993 - The Association bought its first de-fibrillation unit with training provided by the Scottish Ambulance Service.
1996 - The Association is granted its own Coat of Arms by the Court of the Lord Lyon
1999 - St. Andrew's becomes a Scottish Qualifications Authority Approved Centre