A Piece of History
PARNDANA: "The Place of Little Gums" was established in 1963 to service the booming farming community of the time. The soldier settlement scheme, which began in 1953, almost doubled the area of agricultural land on the Island. Often described as a typical Australian country town, there is a small shopping centre, three churches and a community hotel.
Take time to look around the area. The road verges provide an ideal habitat for wildlife and, in late winter and spring, are covered with wildflowers. On Easter Sunday, the community conducts a street carnival featuring local produce and crafts.
The first families arrived in March 1948. The ex-soldier families lived in primitive conditions - huts from the Loveday Internment Camp. There were 174 soldier settlers. The first settlers moved onto their allocated farms in 1951.
We have named all the rooms in The Open House after the first farms in dedication to the pioneers who faced the hardship of early settlement in such a remote location.
These names include:
Treville - Named after the Family name TREMAINE - Jack & Norma. Jack Anzac Tremaine (one of the last to be allowed to use ANZAC as part of his name) was born at Smoky Bay in South Australia. Norma Gertrude Schwartz was born at Ceduna in South Australia.
Warrawee - This name was taken from the coastal freighter on which Bob Hams travelled to the Island in 1949. 'Warrawee' is an Aboriginal word meaning 'rest awhile'. Bob Hams was allocated his block in the first allocation of 35 settlers on the 2nd March 1951. In September of the same year the family moved into the Armco shed on the block as the house had not yet been started.
Bayview - Named by the new owners, Horace & Doris Richards, because they could see Vivonne Bay on the south coast of Kangaroo Island from their block. After being discharged from the Army in 1946, Horace applied for a Soldier Settlement block. He was told he would have to wait 3 or 4 years, but it was not until June 1951 when he was finally allocated a block.
Snaky Creek - In 1973, Mrs Ellen Vigar wrote a paper 'The Early Days of Parndana Camp' as a short chronicle depicting life as it was in the area then. March 1948, John & Ellen Vigar and four of their five children landed on Kangaroo Island. They were allocated their preference on March 3rd, 1951.
Yarloop - a small country town in Western Australia south of Perth. The farm is now capably managed by Edward Buchanan Oldfield, son of Bert and Alice Oldfield.
Truly a home away from home.
The Open House - A Great resting place located in the Heart of the island.
PO Box 84, Parndana,
© Copyright The Open House 1999