Don’t Miss the GFCHS

Craft Guild

Holiday Sale

Saturday, November 4th

9:00 a.m.

to

1:00 p.m.

In the

Myra

Museum

One Room School and

Original Grand Forks Post Office

Our One Room Schoolhouse was built as a township hall for Blooming Township, in 1917.  It became a schoolhouse in the 1930s and was moved to the grounds of the Grand Forks County Historical Society in 1981, in part to commemorate the centennial year of the Grand Forks Public School District. 

The school is furnished with  authentic artifacts, including desks, books,  maps, lunch pails, prints of Washington and Lincoln and paddles for discipline. 

One Room Schools were the main source for education of pioneer children in rural America.  They focused on basic education for grades one through eight.  Teachers to fill all of the positions available were always in short supply.  County Superintendents in North Dakota advertised for teachers in states as far away as Iowa and Wisconsin.

Despite the difficulties, the One Room School remains a fond memory for those who attended and taught in them.

Post Office

Built in 1868, this log cabin was the home of Sanford Cady, who was appointed Grand Forks’ first post master in 1870.  Its original location was in the area of the 500 block of Reeves Drive, probably overlooking the river.  Stagecoaches traveling between Pembina and Fort Abercrombie used the cabin as an overnight stop.

Cady, like many Grand Forks Pioneers, was a veteran of the Civil War.  He and Sarah J. Fadden were one of the first couples married in Grand Forks.

The log  building  was moved to the grounds of the Grand Forks County Historical Society in 1974.  It now serves as a combination General Store and Post Office.

One Room Schoolhouse

And

Original

Grand Forks

Post Office

John Myra and

Family, ca 1885

Primary Business Address:

2405 Belmont Road

Grand Forks, ND  58201

Phone:  701-775-2216

Email:  gfhistory@wiktel.com

For Questions or to Join GFCHS Please Contact Us:

 

The Myra Museum was constructed in 1976 for the Grand Forks County Historical Society with funds from the Myra Foundation.  It’s architecture reflects the Gothic Revival style of the Campbell House.

The Myra Foundation is the legacy of John Myra (1857-1939), a pioneer of Emerado, ND, who operated a lumber business and farm implement dealership and was a major land owner in Grand Forks County.  At the time of his death he did not have any natural heirs to his estate, and the Myra Foundation was created to fund charitable and educational activities within Grand Forks County.

Within the Myra Museum, one will find exhibits representing a wide variety of Grand Forks’ history from the Ice Age to the settlement period and local trends in popular culture.

Myra Carriage House and Pavilion

The Myra Carriage House was added to our grounds in 1986 and displays examples of historic modes of transportation.  Examples include a Surrey, sleigh, grain wagon, and 1929 Ford Model A sedan.

 

The Myra Centennial Pavilion, built in 1989, is a beautiful landmark for the community.  Reminiscent of outdoor cultural gatherings,  it is used for summer band concerts and can be rented for weddings and other events. 

Myra Museum

Within the Myra Museum, one will find exhibits ranging from the Ice Age to the settlement period and popular culture.