click photos below for enlargement and description

Telford ERDF

Telford Town Centre

Between 1991 and 2001, Telford & Wrekin was the fastest growing local authority in the West Midlands and among the top 20 most rapidly growing authorities in England. During this period the population grew by 11.5% to 158,285 (2001 Census).

Telford is a new town planned in the 1960's, designed with low density housing, segregated development all intended to be accessed primarily by car. The town centre layout has created difficulties for pedestrians and cyclists wishing to use and enjoy the town centre, as it is surrounded by busy roads with fast-flowing car traffic that tends to diminish the quality of the urban space and act as a disincentive for visitors.

The project has enabled significant improvements to be made to public transport links to and from the town as well as improving bus services and walking and cycling links; thereby improving access to services and attracting visitors to the town.

Improvements include:

• Direct investment in public transport improvements providing fast frequent bus services between the town centre and neighbourhood priority areas
• Improvements to the town centre bus station
• Signalisation of a major town centre road interchange easing congestion
• Bus priority measures linking the bus and rail stations have reduced the journey time between the two destinations by 5 minutes, resulting in buses serving the rail station every four minutes
• A walking cycling route around the town centre and linking to Telford International Centre
• Improved walking, cycling and bus access to the rail station

The leaflet explains the history of the route, including old photographs of Hadley and Trench Stations, as the Perry Way follows the line of the old Shropshire Union Railway. The railway opened in 1849 and closed in 1991, but a new joint venture - Telford Railfreight terminal will see further rail growth shortly.

A copy of the leaflet can be obtained from Telford Travelink by telephoning 01952 200005 or emailing travelink@telford.gov.uk
The improvements have resulted in 20% growth in bus patronage across the Borough since 1999. In addition buses now serve Telford Railway station every four minutes - prior to the works being undertaken buses were unable to serve the station due to congestion and difficult access.

North Telford Footpath / Cycleway - 'The Perry Way'

Opened in March 2004, the 4km long north Telford footpath / cycleway linking Wellington and Donnington, provides a direct, traffic free route between residential and industrial areas suitable for commuting and leisure journeys.
Since opening 156 people cycle along the Perry Way each day.

The route named after a keen local cyclist was officially opened by the Mayor of Telford & Wrekin and a route leaflet was produced and distributed widely -

• All households within 300 metres of the route
• Leisure centres
• Tourist Information Centres
• Libraries
• Health Centres
• Council Offices

The leaflet explains the history of the route, including old photographs of Hadley and Trench Stations, as the Perry Way follows the line of the old Shropshire Union Railway. The railway opened in 1849 and closed in 1991, but a new joint venture - Telford Railfreight terminal will see further rail growth shortly.

A copy of the leaflet can be obtained from Telford Travelink by telephoning 01952 200005 or emailing travelink@telford.gov.uk

home | live heritage homepage | borough of telford & wrekin homepage

Cuckoo Oak Community Regeneration - Sutton Hill Children's Centre | e-Innovation Centre (Industrial Evolution through Innovation) | Information | North Telford Footpath / Cycleway | Oakengates Regeneration Initiative | Package Management | Polymer Cluster (Industrial Evolution through Innovation) | Regeneration Through Heritage | Telford Rail Freight Terminal | Telford Town Centre | The Interactive Technology Centre - Coalbrookdale | The International Centre Expansion Programme | Tourism for Telford’s Future | Woodside Multi-Use Centre (Park Lane Centre)