Cleary University Mission
Cleary University is an independent, not-for-profit, multi-campus, specialized business university, committed to the betterment of society through the success of its alumni and their employers; to operate as a role model of responsible business practice; to embrace quality management principles, innovation, and an attentive customer focus; and to aspire to a better future.
An Historical Chronology of Cleary University
2006: On May 18, Cleary officials break ground on the Lloyd and Mabel Johnson Center for Business and Community Excellence in Howell.
2002: Cleary's change to University status is approved by the Michigan State Department of Education and the North Central Association.
2000: Cleary announces its Executive MBA. The NCA grants accreditation for Cleary’s MBA program.
1999: BusinessTrack, an innovative three-year BBA degree program for first-time college students is introduced.
1997: Corporate partnership and employee training opportunities are expanded, extension sites and programs are expanded.
1994: Cleary is first ranked by U.S. News and World Report as among the top 20 specialty colleges in the nation.
1990: A new, unique accelerated, 13-month Direct Degree program is launched for mid-career adults.
1989: Cleary launches intensive and continuing focus on quality management.
1988: Cleary is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
1983: Cleary celebrates centennial and breaks ground for its Livingston Campus.
1979: Cleary offers first classes in Livingston County at Brighton High School.
1970: The Association of Independent Colleges and Schools accredits Cleary as a senior college of business.
1968: The Association of Independent Colleges accredits Cleary as a junior college of business.
1933: Cleary family turns overall physical assets of the institution to new board of trustees.
1922: Patrick Roger Cleary receives honorary Master of Education degree from Michigan State Normal College (Eastern Michigan University).
1913: Cleary and Michigan State Normal College launch first joint college program approved by the state board of education. Public school business teachers study education at the Normal and business subjects at Cleary.
1891: Cleary Business College is incorporated under state law.
1886: Cleary holds Michigan’s first summer school session for teachers of commercial subjects.
1885: Cleary becomes Michigan’s first College to train and place a graduate as a teacher of commercial subjects in the public school system.
1883: Patrick Roger Cleary, founds The Cleary School of Penmanship—a vital business skill in the late 19th century commercial workplace. Cleary is Washtenaw County’s first independent college.