"Unweave the Weave" is a Mn/DOT project that will reconstruct the I-694 and I-35E interchange. The project area on I-35E extends from Highway 36 to County Road E. On I-694, the project area extends from Rice Street to Highway 61.
The purpose of this project is to upgrade the condition of the highway, improve its safety, reduce congestion, and increase its capacity to meet the needs of the driving public.
Last year brought a flurry of activities to the Unweave the Weave project in Little Canada and Vadnais Heights. Although the massive construction project began in 2004 with reconstruction of the Edgerton Street bridge, 2006 was the first year of work on I-35E and I-694 along with their common section.
Much of the roadway work in 2006 built temporary bypasses to re-align and move traffic through the project for construction during the 2007 construction season. In addition to the temporary construction, Shafer Contracting and its subcontractors also completed the following permanent work during the 2006 season:
- Re-construction of the following ramps:
- From Little Canada Road to northbound I-35E;
- From Little Canada Road to southbound I-35E; and
- From County Road E to southbound I-35E
Other construction completed last year includes:
- Half of the bridge which will carry westbound I-694 traffic over the railroad tracks on the west side of the project;
- The bridge that currently carries westbound I-694 traffic over the railroad tracks at the west end of the commons;
- permanent pavement in the median area of I-694, between Rice Street and the railroad tracks on the west end of the project;
- A noise wall on the west side of southbound I-35E from Little Canada Road to Highway 36;
- A retaining wall along the ramp from Little Canada Road to northbound I-35E;
- Permanent pavement on northbound I-35E between Little Canada Road and the commons;
- A portion of the bridge that will carry traffic from southbound I-35E to eastbound I-694 on the east end of the project; and
- Permanent pavement on southbound I-35E between County Road E and the commons.
Last winter’s mild weather allowed Lunda Construction to continue bridge construction.
Go to Top
The 2007 construction season is bringing several traffic changes on the interstate system. The bridge carrying traffic from northbound I-35E to westbound I-694 at the west end of the project closed this spring. During the reconstruction of the bridge, traffic will detour east on I-694 into the commons and use a detour across the Edgerton Street bridge and back west on I-694. Traffic will not be allowed to exit onto Edgerton Street or travel from Edgerton Street to the interstate. The new bridge will be completed by this fall.
The ramp from southbound I-35E to eastbound I-694 on the east end of the commons area will close for reconstruction this summer and reopen as winter begins this year. The detour route will take drivers east on County Road E and then south on Highway 61 to reach the eastbound lanes of I-694.
The Labore Road bridge closed this spring for reconstruction over the commons area. The new bridge will open to traffic during the summer of 2008.
Click the link to read the project engineer's update (May 2007)
Please check 511 for real-time traffic and construction information.
Go to Top