In 1847 Warrington received its Charter of Incorporation as a Borough from Queen Victoria, and as a result, a Council consisting of a mayor (William Beamont), nine aldermen, and twenty seven councillors were elected. Its first task was to choose two chief officers and establish headquarter buildings (a Town Hall). John Fitchett Marsh was appointed Town Clerk at a salary of £50 per annum and Charles Chorley was appointed Borough Treasurer at a similar salary, both officers having the assistance of an office boy. Council and committee rooms, as well as the offices of the Council were established in a building, which still stands today, on the west side of the Market Place and which is said to have served as a Town Hall.
By 1870, this accommodation was stretched to its limit, and when Colonel John Wilson Patten (Lord Winmarleigh) made it known that he wished to dispose of his home, Bank Hall, as well as the grounds around it, because of the rapid encroachment of the manufacturing area of the town upon his privacy, the Council at the time decided to purchase the Hall for £9000, and the thirteen acres of land for a further £13,000. Thanks however to the generosity of George Crosfield and Colonel J. Wilson Patten, who subscribed £12,500, the ratepayers of Warrington obtained as their Town Hall one of the finest Georgian country houses in the north west at an initial cost of only £9,500.
Half an acre of the parkland was immediately released for the making of a street from the junction of Sankey Street and Parker Street, to Froghall Lane - now known as Crosfield Street. The remaining parkland was opened as Warrington's first public park in 1873.