Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > NEWS

Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
MattBrady

STUART MOORE TO EDIT SCI FI/VIRGIN COMICS IMPRINT

Press Release
Virgin Comics and the SCI FI Channel announced today that Stuart Moore has been appointed Editor on the first titles from the new imprint.

The new ‘SCI FI / Virgin Comics’ venture was announced earlier this year, with a stated goal of utilizing the global creative and synergistic resources that exist both at SCI FI Channel, part of NBC Universal, and Virgin Comics to create new stories for comic books, television, movies, digital, gaming, licensing and merchandising.

"This was an impossible opportunity to turn down. Virgin and SCI FI are two of the most vital entertainment companies around, and we're all excited about crafting the best possible speculative fiction projects for the 21st century,” commented Stuart Moore. “For my part, Virgin's been great about working out a deal that lets me exercise my editing muscles again, without interfering with my writing projects at various other companies. It's a win-win situation for everyone."

“Stuart is not only one of the greatest editors, but also one of the greatest people in this industry,” said Virgin Comics CEO & Publisher, Sharad Devarajan. “His wealth of experience is only matched by his wonderful reputation for guiding numerous creators to reach new heights in their work.”

Moore is an award-winning editor with a prolific career in the industry. At DC Comics, Stuart was a founding editor of the Vertigo imprint, where he won the Will Eisner award for Best Editor 1996 and the Don Thompson Award for Favorite Editor 1999. From late 2000 through mid-2002 Stuart edited the bestselling Marvel Knights comics line.

"We're thrilled to have a seasoned comic book veteran like Stuart involved in the development of these new properties which are being created from the ground up for multi-media application," added Adam Stotsky, SRVP Marketing for the SCI FI Channel.

"Simply put: Stuart Moore rocks. Ask any writer or publisher he's worked with (and we did) and you hear nothing but the best things said. With Stuart aboard, I feel confident we're going to deliver on our bold prediction to re-imagine sci-fi," added Gotham Chopra, Virgin Comics Chief Creative Officer.

The first SCI FI/Virgin comic titles are expected to hit shelves later this year and the imprint is currently reviewing story pitches from numerous comic book and television writers.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
SpyGuy

Great news, now since Sci Fi is part of this venture, how about announcing a monthly DOCTOR WHO series written by Paul Cornell?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
magister

Does this mean Lone is _finally_ coming back?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
FallenFate

I would be all for a return of some of the previously Stuart edited Helix titles like Gemini Blood, Vermillion and Cyberella. I really enjoyed the Helix line and miss it immensely. Vermillion was an absolutely brilliant series that was far under-recognized.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
Jason Copland

Excellent news! Congratulations, Stuart!
Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Jason Seaver

Great news for everyone involved.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
JAZANWILD

Sounds Exciting!!!!!!!!

Love what both these companies are doing! Virgin is reaching other parts of the world (like India), and Sci-fi is making the best shows on T.V. It's great to see two companies that both think outside of the box making such quality product. Keep Rocking, Jazan

JAZAN WILD'S FUNHOUSE OF HORRORS!!!!

Last edited by JAZANWILD : 06-27-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
Jason Rodrig

Quote:
"Simply put: Stuart Moore rocks. Ask any writer or publisher he's worked with (and we did) and you hear nothing but the best things said. With Stuart aboard, I feel confident we're going to deliver on our bold prediction to re-imagine sci-fi," added Gotham Chopra, Virgin Comics Chief Creative Officer.

Having worked with Stuart twice I gotta "Amen" that. One of my favorite people in comics - his talent is a bonus.

Congrats!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
hondo

I agree he's one of the best editors in the business and a pretty good writer too.

Virgin didn't nearly have the impact they thought they would but now with Sci-Fi bringing in some of the sci-fi faithful and exposure, along with the esteemed and highly regarded Stuart Moore, Virgin should be looking up.

I wish them luck.

It just struck me that Virgin kind of reminds me of TechnoComics from the early 90's.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
Lot 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFate
I would be all for a return of some of the previously Stuart edited Helix titles like Gemini Blood, Vermillion and Cyberella. I really enjoyed the Helix line and miss it immensely. Vermillion was an absolutely brilliant series that was far under-recognized.

If you liked Vermillion, I can recommend at least one novel by Lucius Shepard...

I read Green Eyes and enjoyed it immensely...it is Shepard's debut novel...
Old 06-30-2007, 04:09 AM   #11
Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyGuy
Great news, now since Sci Fi is part of this venture, how about announcing a monthly DOCTOR WHO series written by Paul Cornell?

Wouldn't happen. Sci Fi don't own those rights, BBC does. The only have the rights to show the show.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
linnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFate

Some of my favorite comics of all time - especially Vermillion. I'd also love to see these titles return!!

Good luck Stuart!!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
Jason Seaver

Wasn't there supposed to be a Cyberella collection coming out this year (or even last)? Not from DC, but someone else?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #14
NSB agent

Oh joy, SciFi channel involvement means ECW and Sat night crapfest movies...