:: CAMPUS MAPS :: DIRECTIONS :: NEWS :: CALENDAR
 
 
:: Welcome
:: Accreditation
:: At a Glance
:: Resources
:: Library
:: Admissions
:: Financial Aid
:: Adult Degree Programs
:: Graduate Program
Request Information
         U.S. News America's Best Colleges 2007
HISTORY OF COVENANT COLLEGE

Fueled by the vision of helping Christians learn to live as active, reforming members of a complex society, Covenant College was established during the fall of 1955 in Pasadena, California. With the help of several professors from Faith Theological Seminary and a building donated by an order of Catholic sisters, the college moved to St. Louis, Missouri, just one year after its birth. Covenant soon became a four-year liberal arts college and a theological seminary operated by one board and one administration. Over the next eight years the institution increased in size and outgrew the facilities. Mr. Hugh Smith discovered that the Lookout Mountain Hotel was for sale. Built in 1927 with the South's largest ballroom and 200 guest rooms, the once-posh "Castle in the Clouds" seemed an ideal location for the college. Mr. Smith recommended the property to the trustees. After much debate, the trustees approved the purchase of the old hotel and the college moved one last time in 1964.

The Thistle

According to Scottish legend, the thistle played a vital role in victory at the Battle of Largs in 1262. A barefooted invader unwittingly trod on a thistle during his inland advance. Armed in all its parts with prickly spines, the wild plant caused him to howl in pain, announcing the unwelcome visit of king Harco's men. After saving the day for the Scottish defenders, the purple-flowered thistle became Scotland's national emblem, and serves as a symbol of Covenant's history and purpose.

The tract of land on which Covenant College is located
has been a pioneer's homeplace and a plush resort. Under a treaty in 1819, the land lay along the northern boundary of the Cherokee Nation. After the Cherokees were forced westward along the 'Trail of Tears,' the land was seized by the federal government and was ordered auctioned to benefit the widows and orphans of the War of 1812.

Robert M. Parris took the bid on a large portion of land, later adding to his holdings through purchases from a widow and her two daughters. In 1856 he sold 400 acres to C. C. Jackson for $1 per acre. Jackson settled with his family in a cabin near Frontier Bluff. (The family cemetery remains in a protected area below the college.) Sallie Jackson remembered hearing the cannon and musket fire from the Battle of Chickamauga; family members watched the battle from the top of Jackson Hill. Later, federal troops used the Jackson land as a camp.


Covenant College 14049 Scenic Highway Lookout Mountain, GA 30750-9901 -- ph. 706.820.1560 -- fax 706.820.0893 -- info@covenant.edu -- ©2007
Admissions Office (Sun - Closed :: Mon-Thu - 8am-10pm :: Fri - 8am-8pm :: Sat - 9am-4pm EST) -- toll free 888.451.2683 -- Request Information