The History of the Town of Wallkill
Dorothy Hunt-Ingrassia Historian
Town of Wallkill was established April 7, 1772, at the home of
Samuel Watkins in Campbell Hall in the present Town of Hamptonburgh.
Vast tracts of wilderness, called patents, were acquired from
the Indians over the period from 1703 to 1761. The original Wallkill
Precinct was created from portions of two of these patents, the
Minisink Angle and the John Evens Patent.
Precinct originally extended into Ulster County and was much larger
than its present day boundaries. In 1798, by an act of the Legislature,
the present Orange-Ulster County boundaries were formed.
1782, the Congregational Church, at what is now Howells, was organized
and has the distinction of being the second Congregational Church
formed in the State of New York and the first church group in
1787, George Houston of Neelytown settled on 300 acres in the
southeastern part of Wallkill. This land was bought for him by
his father James Houston who was a descendant of Rev. Joseph Houston,
first minister of the Goodwill Church of Montgomery. In 1796 a
church was organized at the home of George Houston and he donated
three acres for a church site and burial ground. Because of the
preponderance of Scottish families, it was decided to name the
settlement which grew up around the church, Scotchtown.
First Congregational Church was organized in 1785 in the settlement
not yet known as Middletown. The church acquired 1/2 acre of land
from the estate of John Green, to which was added 15-1/5 square
rods from the husband of the minister's niece, Jonathan Owen.
The Rev. Charles Seelay served as the first pastor and construction
was begun in 1786 but not finished until some ten to twelve years
1792, several families joined to organize the Wallkill Old-School
Baptist Church which met at various places for thirty years before
building on land donated by Silas D. Horton at Rockville, some
two and three quarter miles north of Middletown.
fifth church was organized in 1799 in an area between the present
Fair Oaks and Bloomingburg. the meeting house was known as "The
Old Union House."
clusters rose up around the churches organized in the Town
Scotchtown - situated on high ground, this section of country
being about one thousand feet above tide-water. It undoubtedly
took its name from the nationality of the early settlers, McVey,
McWhorter, McInnis, McLaughlin and McCord. The first store opened
in 1803. There was also a wagon-shop and blacksmith-shop.
- about two miles east of Middletown which sprang up around the
forge and trip-hammer works of Messrs. Otis & Miller. There
was a hotel there, a glove manufactory and a feedmill. Its name
was derived from the fact that it was a settlement of "industrious
- half way between Scotchtown and Bloomingburg was previous to
1791 a thick forest, with a single log house, occupied by a Mr.
Coddington. Circleville's post office was established in 1850.
There was a blacksmith shop there, wagon-shops, shoe-shops and
Bull, Sr., a blacksmith who settled near Circleville, is said
to have been employed constructing the chain used in the obstruction
of the Hudson River during the Revolution.
services were held in the "White School House" until
the Circleville Presbyterian Church was built.
name Circleville was given to the Church and Village by Mrs. Mary
Bull, who thought Circleville, in Ohio, was a very pleasant name.
- (was known as Hampton in 1806, but the name was changed due
to the number of families by the name of Phillips) lies east of
Middletown, on the Wallkill River, and was a place of great expectations.
With its magnificent water power, and government contracts for
powder during the was of the Revolution, it had every prospect
of advanced growth. People from the vicinity of what is now Middletown
went to Phillipsburgh to do their shopping. However, the growth
of Middletown as an important railway village, dwarfed Phillipsburgh.
The Erie began daily service in 1843 and Middletown became the
end of the line and an important rail center.
Depot - was a station on the Erie Railroad northwest of Middletown.
The post office was established in 1846. Early businesses comprised
of freighting and general traffic of the Erie Railroad; a general
merchandise store, drug store, hardware store, tin shop, hotel,
blacksmith and wagon shops and a meat market.
Burenville - name bestowed upon a village near the northeast angle
of the Town of Mount Hope. It arose from the establishment of
a post office by that name, given no doubt in honor of President
Martin Van Buren. It was formerly a place of considerable business
on an old stage-route; however, the opening of the plank-road
left Van Burenville away from travel routes and its business disappeared.
Oaks - was a station upon the Midland Railroad, later known as
the New York; Ontario and Western. Fair Oaks was established May
14, 1872. A hotel built there had been opened for business the
day the battle of Fair Oaks, Va. was fought. This battle prompted
the naming of the hamlet, Fair Oaks.
and Bull Hack - were both south of Circleville. Rockville's name
was derived from a huge rock on the slope of a hill. Bull Hack's
name originated from William Bull's descendants who "hacked"
through the dense forest to settle this area.
Junction, Purdy's Station and Lockwood - were trackside stopping
places on the New York, Ontario and Western Railways.
- a ridge of land running from Scotchtown toward Bullville, was
a neighborhood settled, among others, by Jacob Mills, whose descendants
were numerous and constituted the prominent families of the district.
Ford - was so called as early as 1767. It was a fording place
over the Wallkill River from Montgomery. There was a rift across
the stream at this point literally paved with cobble-stones.
Hill - in the northern part of the town, was so named from a story
told of a drinking spree at an old log tavern in early times.
Being short on glasses, an extra one was brought in that had been
used in mixing up some brimstone. In the darkness of the evening
a man drank whisky from the glass... and the place was so named.
(Michigaan Corners) - the name applied to a cluster of houses
on the crest of Three-Mile Hill, in the eastern part of the Town.
Named because Malcolm McLaughlin bragged about his imaginary trip
to Michigan to the extent they nicknamed him Michigaan.
- was an old name for a neighborhood in the eastern part of the
town, near Three-Mile Hill, arising from the Davis families, which
were numerous in that section.
Grange - had its first post office in the Town of Wallkill. It
was called "Wallkill" and was kept by John Monell. Another
post office was a large, hollow white-oak tree. Any person being
at the vicinity of Scotchtown, would bring them up and deposit
them in this tree; then, as the neighbors passed, they would take
what belonged to themselves and leave what belonged to others.
- was a mellifluous name bestowed many years ago upon an excellent
spring of water a mile or more from Circleville. There were various
traditions as to the reason for the name, whether it was because
of the sweetness and purity of the water that flowed from the
spring, whether a "bee-tree" with its rich deposit of
honey once stood by the spring, or whether stolen honey was once
hidden there, remains a mystery.
- an old name applied to a settlement of black people, east of
the Honey-Pot farm. They had been the slaves of Col. McLaughry,
of new Windsor, and were freed by him, 1825 to 1828. This land
was given to them by the Colonel.
1809, the Town's location on the route between Sullivan County's
lumbering and tanning products and the Hudson River made the building
of the Montgomery Turnpike a profitable venture. Several other
turnpikes followed making the area through which they were routed
a trade center.
1848, Middletown had a population of 1360 and incorporated as
1851, the Middletown and Bloomingburg Plank Road was built and
soon followed by a second one called the M. & U., which made
transportation into the area and to the railroad even easier.
in 1851, the world's first telegraph line was strung along the
Erie Railroad and the first railroad train dispatch was sent over
the portion of wire through Middletown from Turner's (Harriman)
to Port Jervis.
Town of Wallkill became bitterly divided politically as the Civil
War era approached and in 1860 the Republicans carried the first
Supervisor's election and then the Presidential election in Wallkill.
During the War, Middletown and Wallkill together supplied no less
than six companies and regiments to fight for the Union. After
the war, Middletown boomed and by 1888 Middletown was granted
her charter as a city.
remained rural through the first half of the twentieth century.
The town sent her children to state-drawn district schools and
at the present time still has no school districts of its own.
However, the town is still dotted with old one or two room school
houses built between 1820 and 1850.
volunteer fire companies serve the Town. Howells Fire Company
was established in 1924 followed by Mechanicstown Engine &
Chemical Co. #1, Circleville Volunteer Fire Co., Washington Heights
Volunteer Fire Co., Inc., Silver Lake Volunteer Fire Co., Inc.,
and Pocatello Fire Company. Bloomingburg Fire Company also covers
a portion of the Town.
the early 1960's the Town of Wallkill began to feel the impact
of development as new highways put it within driving distance
of New York City and New Jersey. The opening of Routes 17 and
84 and the placement of interchanges in the Town changed the complexion
of the area. In 1960, the census reported 8000, and in 1980 the
census showed the population grew to 20,481. By 1987, it had grown
to approximately 27,000.
"Miracle Mile," a section of Route 211 in the Town has
become a regional shopping center. Many national and local retail
stores have located in this area.
The Town Board, comprised of one supervisor and four councilmen,
is the governing body of the Town.
Board meets every second and fourth Thursday of the month at the
Town Hall and also meets when there is a special need.