Our Hospital histories
Our Trust consists of a number of hospitals, each with
its own history.
Hospital was originally made up of just one building, where Trust Headquarters is
based now. It began its life as a TB sanatorium for
children in 1921 before being allocated as an emergency medical services
hospital. During the Second World War in 1942, it was handed over to the US.
After the end of the war in 1945, the hospital was returned to the British. The
Georgian Mansion house became the Trust headquarters in 1991 when Frenchay was
granted Trust status.
Southmead Hospital was originally opened in 1902 as
Southmead Workhouse and Infirmary with beds for 64 people. During World
War One, it was taken over as an army hospital but was returned to civilian use
in the early 1920s. One of the first new departments to be opened after the
Health Service began in 1948 was an Outpatient and Casualty Department.
Blackberry Hill Hospital
Since the first buildings were erected in 1779, the
hospital has been a prison, an ordnance store, a workhouse and then Stapleton
Hospital. By 1953 the hospital met the basic needs of more than 800 people but
by 1956 the Manor Park Hospital emerged. The hospital entered another phase in
1992 when the decision was made to merge Glenside Hospital and Manor Park.
Blackberry Hill Hospital came into being and new facilities were built to
provide mental health services.
Cossham Memorial Hospital
Cossham Hospital has existed on the site since 1907. It is
situated at the top of Lodge Hill and its clock tower is the highest point in
Bristol. The hospital became a day facility in 2000.