South Weber Pioneer Cemetery
6900 South 475 East
* Directions to
|Owner||City of South Weber
1600 East South Weber Drive, South Weber, Utah 84405
Phone: (801) 479-3177
|Contact||City Councilwoman Annette Ray Gardner
346 East 6650 South, South Weber, Utah 84405
Phone: (801) 479-4903
|Records||Compiled by Mattie G. Ray (deceased)|
|Acreage||.5154 of an acre|
|Year Established||late 1850's|
|# of Burial Sites||approximately 120; 106 known burial sites|
|First Burial||Robert Cook - 1859|
|Last Burial||approximately 1927|
|Unmarked Graves||Several Indians are buried in unmarked graves|
The South Weber Pioneer Cemetery was started as a private burial site on the Firth property. Robert H. Cook, who died on October 15, 1859, was probably the first settler to be buried there. In 1927, Margaret Bambrough was the last. It is believed that the cemetery was abandoned after 1927 because of a high water table, due to the Weber/Davis Canal.
The Cemetery has changed hands several times over the years. The property was first owned by John Firth, who unsuccessfully tried to donate it to the City of South Weber. Henry Firth, John's son, was also unsuccessful in relinquishing the cemetery. Another son, William Henry Firth, was authorized by the Davis County Probate Court to deed the cemetery to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but the exchange never took place. In 1979, Bruce Schmalz sold the property to Brent Winchester, who was finally successf in deeding the cemetery to the City of South Weber!
Cemetery maintenance was a Scout project and a community service project for many years. The U.S. Army Reserve united worked on restoring the cemetery from 1973-1975. The City now maintains the lawns and irrigation system. Grave maintenance is currently a family responsibility.
The Cemetery is located south of the Old Morrisite Fort. There is at least one burial from the White on White War of 1862.
There are 65 identified graves and several unknown graves, including several Indian graves on the south side of the cemetery. Two Morrisites were buried outside the cemetery -- near the northeast corner. Residents preferred not to have them buried inside the cemetery fence. One of the Morrisites buried there was Bella Bowman.
Information provided by the City of South Weber and Connie Allen
Article written by Doneta Gatherum
Article written by Deena Jones
Utah Historical Society
South Weber, The Autobiography of One Utah Community, by Lee D. Bell, copyright 1990.
Back to the Davis County Cemeteries Homepage
You are visitor number since 6/24/99.
This page was last updated on 11/27/04 by Annette Nelson.
Please direct any corrections, comments or questions to Annette Nelson
Last updated 08/24/06
This Site Generously Sponsored By: