Kingstown - General
DIOCESE OF KINGSTOWN
Province of Castries
Established as a diocese on 22 January 1990
Formerly part of the Diocese of Bridgetown–Kingstown (7 March 1970)
Previously part of the Diocese of St. George’s–in–Grenada (20 February 1956)
Previously part of Archdiocese of Port of Spain, (April 30, 1850)
Previously part of Vicariate Apostolic of West Indies, (1820)
Comprises islands of St. Vincent, Bequia, Mustique, Canouan, Mayreau and Union Island
ST. VINCENT & THE GRENADINES
St. Vincent & the Grenadines attained full internal self–government in association with Great Britain in 1969. They became an independent member of the British Commonwealth on October 27, 1979.
Bequia, Canouan, Mayreau and Union Island are four of the more important of the chain of 200 little islands that comprise the Grenadines. The land area is 150 square miles.
The total population of St. Vincent & the Grenadines is 110,000. Of this 82% are Negro, 1.6% East Indian, 1.6% white, and 13.9% mixed. Catholics number approximately 10% of the population.
To visit another page in this Diocese click on a button below:
Last updated December 21, 2002