Find a Doctor Classes & Events Health Information News Center Contact Us
Cancer Services Children's Services Heart Services Women's Services Surgery Lab/Imaging
Our Hospitals
Our Clinics
Our Health Services
Maps & Directions
Patients & Visitors
Healthcare Professionals
In the Community
Business & Industry
Employment
Ways to Give
About Legacy
Partnerships
Research
Quality/Patient Safety


Our Hospitals > Legacy Good Samaritan Hospital & Medical Center > History >




History

On October 9, 1875,Good Samaritan Hospital opened under the auspices of the Episcopal Church and under the benefaction of Bishop Wistar Morris. Built 130 years ago for $10,000, Good Samaritan, one of the city’s longestlasting institutions, has grown from a 25-bed hospital to a $223 million, 539-bed medical center. Annually, it serves more than 14,000 inpatients and about 188,000 outpatients from across Portland, the Pacific Northwest and further.

Click below for a short history (PDF document) of Legacy Good Samaritan Hospital and Medical Center: