Graduate Students: 3,245
New Freshmen: 4,092
Male Students: 11,896
Female Students: 11,651
Minority Students: 2,873
with Terminal Degrees: 93%
Full-Time Faculty: 1,176
Minority Faculty: 183
Female Faculty: 337
Male Faculty: 839
Student to Faculty Ratio: 17:1
for tuition information.
89 academic buildings; 1,843 acres
Main Campus Budget: $ 550.8 million
State Appropriations: $ 188.8 million
Tuition: $ 201.7 million
Other: $ 160.3 million
YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Based on a 2001 economic impact study, AU returns $7 for
every $1 spent on higher education back to the state.
- In U.S. News & World Report’s issue
of America’s Best Colleges 2006, AU is ranked 39th
among public universities nationwide. The ranking marks
the 14th consecutive year the magazine has ranked AU among
the nation’s top 50 public universities. AU was ranked
a “Best Value” by the Princeton Review. Money
Magazine and Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
rank AU as tops in the state and among the highest in the
nation for educational value.
- AU has awarded more than 200,000 academic degrees.
- In 2005, two AU students were recognized as first and
second team Academic All Americans in USA Today:
Caesar Garcia in Engineering, and Josh Jarrell, in the College
of Sciences and Mathematics.
- The National Security Agency has designated AU as a Center
of Academic Excellence because of outstanding programs information
security and assurance.
- AU is the only university in the country to offer an undergraduate
degree in wireless technology, and the first in the Southeast
to offer degrees in software engineering.
- AU is known for its rocket science: six NASA
astronauts graduated from AU, and two past directors for
the Kennedy Space Center are also AU alumni.
- AUs Ralph Brown Draughon Library is the largest
library in the state, with 2.7 million volumes. The library
subscribes to 39,000 journals, 227 electronic databases,
provides library instruction and tours to students, prospective
students and parents, serves as instructional resource for
faculty and is open to the public seven days a week.
- AU sponsors the Presidential and Opportunity Scholarships
programs, a $2 million commitment to the education of 400
Alabama students, along with hundreds of additional scholarships.