Adele B. Looscan Branch Replacement
2510 Willowick 77027
Opened in 1956, the Adele Briscoe Looscan Branch of the Houston Public Library is one of the system's oldest buildings to not have been renovated since opening. The Friends of Neighborhood Libraries (FONL) gifted the City of Houston with land adjacent to the current site and the outdated, undersized and non-ADA compliant building will be replaced with a new 20,000 square foot facility.
Description of Project
This $6.26m project includes
- Construction of a new 20,000 square foot branch library;
- Adult collection with seating and at least 20 computers stations;
- Teen collection with seating and at least 8 computer stations;
- Children's collection with seating;
- Conference rooms and meeting room;
- Internet café.
Design GoalsNew design changes include
- Exterior articulation;
- Upgrade of the roof system and exterior wall materials;
- Addition of arched windows and covered porch;
- Upgrade of the shelving and furnishings;
- Addition of a family restroom.
Timeline and Status Report
- August 27, 2005 - Current building closed.
- February 2006 - Current building demolished.
- June 19, 2006 - Notice to Proceed issued from Building Services Department.
- July 25, 2006 - Site demolition complete.
- August 7, 2006 - Groundbreaking ceremony.
- Fall 2007 - Project completion.
Looscan Groundbreaking Ceremony
History of the Looscan Branch
During the tenure of Library Director Harriet Dickson Reynolds, the Looscan branch was opened in 1956. The Library's namesake, Adele Briscoe Looscan, descended from both a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and a founding resident of Harris County. She played an important role in the cultural growth of Houston in her own right. As the first president of the City Federation of Women's Clubs, Looscan led the movement to establish a library for the city. A charter member of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and the Texas State Historical Society, Mrs. Looscan wrote and published a number of articles on Texas history. At her death she bequeathed her large personal library, including many valuable Texana items, to Houston Public Library.