Click on the picture for a more detailed view.
If you were expecting to see a fancy typeface, sorry! This is a different and distinctly heavier type of font!
The base of this font is not as old as the cover. The cover was provided in 1631 The font base was installed in 1848. There is detailed stone carving - 3D sculpture in fact.
The font is used at the beginning of a person's membership of the Church, for the ceremony of Baptism. This is why the Font is near the main door - near the point of entry to the Church building. [Of course the word 'Church' really refers to the people - members of the Church, not just the building.] The Font is used to contain water, which is blessed by the Priest, and used to mark a Cross on the forehead of the person seeking Baptism into the Church. The remaining water drains away into the foundations of the Priory after the ceremony.
Baptism Services are arranged as required, with the Vicar. There is no age limit for Baptism. Full membership of the Church is marked by the ceremony of Confirmation which is carried out after a short candidates' training course, by a Bishop. There is no fee for either Baptism or Confirmation, although, as the upkeep of the building and running of the Parish depend on contributions from its members, an opportunity for voluntary contributions is provided. There is no government funding.
You can see more, memorable dates, on the Time-Line - the history of the Lancaster Priory site from the year 78 A.D. to the present day.
This page is Bobby approved - it meets the 5th May 1999 Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
The Lancaster Priory Web-Site is registered as being suitable for family viewing with the Internet Content Rating Association - formerly the Recreational Software Advisory Council.
Thankyou for being interested in Lancaster Priory.
This is the Lancaster Priory Font 1 page 1.
This page is geographically tagged for Geographic Discovery
Lancaster Priory gratefully acknowledges the provision of this facility by
The Computing Department at Lancaster University UK
This page is compiled by Paul C Mullineaux, Engineering Department