-- The original NoseBleed v1.10 skin for phpBB version 2+ Created by Mike Lothar (c) 2004 - 2005 http://www.mikelothar.com Do not remove this copyright note --> Collected Animals ~ View topic - Is Wikipedia Accurate?

Collected Animals Forum Index

<  Questions for the Collective  ~  Is Wikipedia Accurate?

Izzy
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:01 am Reply with quote
It says Doctess played on Feels. I thought she just figured out the piano parts and played them with Avey.
OhStatic
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
she's listed alongside the crew on the liner art. her piano is used pretty texturally, but you can hear it pretty clear near the beginning swell of "did you see the words" (quarter notes before "have you seen the..." begins) and at various parts throughout the record.
Alex
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
You can also see her playing in the studio in the Fickle Cycle video.

I'm not the AC, but there's enough conclusive evidence to answer your question...Yes, wikipedia is accurate and Doctess played on the record, as well as Eyvind Kang, whose contributions to the album seem often overlooked on here.
Pngu2
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
what did he (Eyvind Kang) do on feels? i think i googled it but never got an answer...
veyesor
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
yes, doctess played on the record and its in the liner notes. ooooooh, looks like someone got caught downloading as opposed to buying it. shame shame know your name. just kidding. kristin plays on every song. she played live as we did the live tracking but there was often a lot of bleed into the piano mics from the other instruments so she often re-did or elaborated on her parts at night when she could have quiet in the studio. we all played in one room so there was so isolation, except josh's guitar amps which we stuck in a bathroom. hehehe, once i went in to use it forgetting that the mics were on and everyone got an audio version of my piss in their headphones. eyvind came in one day and did amazing overdubs on a bunch of songs. sometimes i think it's a shame that the brilliance of his parts don't stick out more on the record, but that's the way we like to mix - make it as much one organic sound as possible. it'd be nice to one day, maybe on the 10th anniversary reissue, do some mixes where his parts are cranked.
Alex
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Pngu2 wrote:
what did he (Eyvind Kang) do on feels? i think i googled it but never got an answer...

Violin
Izzy
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:21 am Reply with quote
veyesor wrote:
ooooooh, looks like someone got caught downloading as opposed to buying it. shame shame know your name. just kidding.

Guilty as charged Crying or Very sad but I did legally attain Spirit/Danse recently and it's amazing. Very Happy
noerbear
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Any other Eyvind Kang studio stories you guys want to share? I just recently came into posession of one of his albums 'Virginal Co-ordinates' and it is one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.

Mike Patton vocals and violas oh my! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
speaking of wikipedia, i just noticed animal collective is one of only seven notable persons on the baltimore county, maryland entry. right up there in the exclusive company of michael phelps and spiro agnew!
Shlippi WhereWo!
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
good god where'd you get that moving geo avatar?

LOVE IT!
veyesor
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:57 am Reply with quote
i can't think of any standout eyvind anecdotes, at least not that would interest anyone that wasn't there (funny things he said at dinner or whatever). he was only there for an afternoon. we had sent him live recordings of the songs we wanted him on (daffy, bees, fickle cycle, and people) but he never had a chance to listen to them. so he came in and would listen to each track once, then talk with us about ideas, and then just improvise over the song. as scott predicted (he has worked with eyvind many times over the last 10 years), he never hit a wrong note. it was pretty mindblowing to watch. he played violin, viola, and tried some traditional chinese instrument, which we took out because it didn't mix so well. wish we had more time to jam because i'm sure it owuld have a lot of fun. dave and i had been thinking about who to ask to play violin on a few songs that we wanted violin on, and eyvind was our first choice. we'd been big fans of his since first hearing him play violin on a sun city girls recordin the mid-90's. it was kind of just great luck that he was our first choice and that scott knew him and had recorded him a bunch, and that he lived in the seattle area. when i first asked him if he'd be interested his crucial question was what we wanted out of a violin part in a song. did we want it to stand out melodically so a listener would say, oh here comes the violin part, or did we want him to explore the violin and how it would fit into the song (i.e. doing noise, more textural parts)? i replied the latter and he was stoked. that was the ultimate reason we chose him. he's so good at exploring and pushing the limits of his instruments. he can master the pretty and melodic stuff, harsh noise music, trancey drones, etc. if any of you are interested in checking out his stuff, you should check out these records:

compositional: 7 nades, theater of mineral nades, story of iceland
noise: sweetness of sickness, and parts of the 7 nades album
rock: dying ground (a band he did with kato hideki and calvin weston on drums)
drone: live low to the iron age (released under the name "the neti-neti band".

also check out his collaborations with secret chiefs 3 and sun city girls. seriously, the dude rules and couldn't be nicer and more genuine about his love for music.
veyesor
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote
forgot to say i haven't heard virginal coordinates yet but i really want to. i've heard great things.
noerbear
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy Thanks a million Geo.... I wasn't really anticipating any kind of anecdotes, but more along the lines of the recording process that Eyvind contributed to. Very nice of you to detail that stuff for us, and I now see (and hear) exactly the kind of talent he infused into the Feels record. It is amazing the range of sound one can accomplish with a violin.

Was pretty wild getting to see his bow in action on the Grass DVD for 'Fickle Cycle'. And will definitely look further into his catalogue. Much appreciated for the categorizing of his different styles in the recommendations; I think that I would enjoy his compositional and noise albums most. A lot of that can be heard on the Virginal Coordinates album, so that definitely gets my seal of audio approval.

Thanks very much again, for paying attention to all us forest children and our endless questions. It's more of a priviledge to us as fans to be able to communicate in a genuine and real fashion with you guys even if it's through text on a message board. Seriously, we probably don't deserve half the attention.... but thanks for being so generous with your time. Smile Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
disslunker
Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote
Shlippi WhereWo! wrote:
good god where'd you get that moving geo avatar?

LOVE IT!

I made it! its a string of photos I took at a show last november in los angeles at The Vanguard. I keep seeing it pop up all over the damn place. i think i saw it on last.fm as someone's avatar. i feel like a star