August 1: MISERY, SPECIES IV, more DVD news/updates
• On October 2, a new Collector’s Edition DVD of the Stephen King film MISERY is coming from MGM Home Video through Fox Home Video. The disc will include a new audio commentary by director Rob Reiner and scripter William Goldman, plus additional behind-the-scenes material. In addition, MGM has SPECIES IV on tap for the 2nd, along with a new SPECIES Special Edition. Look for complete specs and the cover art soon on these titles.
• Fango got the details from After Hours Cinema, a new sister company to Alternative Cinema, about its new adults-only DVD release of 1974’s FORCED ENTRY. Remade in 1975 as an R-rated film (directed by SWEET SIXTEEN’s Jim Sotos, with early appearances by Nancy Allen and Tanya Roberts), this version is a hardcore horror/porn movie starring adult-film veteran Harry (DRACULA SUCKS) Reems as a deranged Vietnam veteran working at a gas station, where he collects information about female customers via their credit cards before invading their homes and violently assaulting them. The disc will feature a restored fullscreen transfer from the only known film elements, approved by writer/director Shaun Costello, who also contributes extensive liner notes in a color booklet; 8mm “loops” and After Hours retro trailers are also included. Retail price is $29.99; you must be 18 years or older to order.
• Dimension Home Entertainment and Genius Entertainment released the cover art for DEATH PROOF, the first of the GRINDHOUSE duo to hit DVD, streeting September 18. PLANET TERROR follows on October 16; we previously reported the specs for both discs here.
• Final details have come in about Sony Pictures Home Entertainment’s Collector’s Edition of Francis Ford Coppola’s BRAM STOKER’S DRACULA that we first reported on here. In addition to a video introduction and audio commentary by Coppola and deleted scenes, the two-disc set (coming October 2) will contain the following featurettes:
• The Blood Is the Life—The Making of DRACULA
• The Costumes Are the Sets—The Design of Eiko Ishioka
• In-Camera—The Naïve Visual Effects of DRACULA
• Method and Madness—Visualizing Dracula
In addition, the complete specs have been announced for the DVD and Blu-ray releases of HOSTEL: Director’s Cut, which Sony issues October 23. In addition to an unrated version of the film with writer/director Eli Roth’s original ending (and the option to view either this or the theatrical cut), these discs will come with the quartet of audio commentaries and HOSTEL Dissected and Kill the Car featurettes from the previous edition, plus these new extras:
• Music and Sound featurette
• Set Design featurette
• KNB Effects featurette
• An Icelandic Meal with Actor Eythor Gudjonsson featurette
• Takashi Miike Interview featurette
• Hostel Dismembered international TV special
• The Treatment radio interview with Roth
• 10 deleted scenes
• Four photo galleries hand-picked by Roth
Retail price is $19.98 for the DVD, $28.95 for the Blu-ray.
And finally, Magnolia Pictures let us know that its DVD of MURDER PARTY, previously reported as an October 30 release, has been moved up to October 16. Full details and art are coming soon on this one as well. —Michael Gingold