About the Book
Shift & Switch: New Canadian Poetry
is edited by derek beaulieu, Jason Christie & Angela Rawlings.
The anthology is published by The Mercury Press
and can be purchased
and ordered through your local independent bookstore, or online at Northwest Passages
Canada’s cutting-edge authors have been acclaimed internationally as some of the most important
innovators of the 20th and 21st centuries. Avant-garde poets challenge the reading and writing status
quo, and question what a poem may be. Where conventional collections emphasize traditional and
lyric poetry, Shift & Switch offers a unique and highly anticipated alternative: radicality, innovation,
and experimentation with sound, visual elements, mathematics, surrealism, and ’pataphysics.
For more about the anthology, read the Introductions by the Editors,
or see below for a list of contributors, upcoming events and reviews.
Links to contributors' blogs, bios, websites, and secret headquarters open in a new window.
- Recent Shift & Switch launches in Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver
- Jill Hartman on Calgary's Shift & Switch launch
Larissa Lai on Calgary's Shift & Switch launch
a.rawlings on Vancouver's Shift & Switch launch
a.rawlings on Toronto's Shift & Switch launch
Jordan Scott on Vancouver's Shift & Switch launch
- Ottawa Launch of Shift & Switch
- Launch will take place on January 13, 7:30pm, Mother Tongue Books (1067 Bank St. in 'Old Ottawa South'). Confirmed readers include Jon Paul Fiorentino, Max Middle, Angela Rawlings, Rob Read, and Mark Truscott.
- Montreal Launch of Shift & Switch
- Launch will take place on January 14, 8pm, Cafe Esperanza (5490 Saint-Laurent Blvd.). Confirmed readers include Jon Paul Fiorentino, Matthew Hollett, Max Middle, Angela Rawlings, Rob Read, and Mark Truscott.
- Buffalo Launch of Shift & Switch
- Launch will take place on Friday, January 27, 7pm, Rust Belt Books (202 Allen St.). Saloon Conversation Series will present a panel discussion on Canadian poetry with Lori Emerson, Alex Porco, and Angela Szczepaniak. Confirmed readers include Gregory Betts, Jill Hartman, Geoffrey Hlibchuk, Angela Rawlings, Rob Read, Trevor Speller, and Mark Truscott.
- Philadelphia Launch of Shift & Switch
- Launch will take place on Saturday, January 28, 7pm, upstairs at The Khyber Bar (part of the Night Flag Reading Series, 56 S. Second St.). Confirmed readers so far include Gregory Betts, Janet Neigh, Angela Rawlings, Rob Read, and Mark Truscott.
Send reviews, love notes, rants, questions, and answers to .
“Shift & Switch is a strict, splendid index of crisp text
gristlers. If that label stiffs you crack this spine. Here we have
writing-nerve which chews on and arousingly regenerates the bravest precursors
of Canadian 20th-century poetics, spuming all our avant-garde grandpappies like
so many sucked-clean seeds. These pips pop.”
— Margaret Christakos
“Shift & Switch records where 41 writers were moments ago. No false Romanticism,
no grandiloquence, no nationalism, no careerism (as if there were careers in
poetry any more, except as a verb): only the hard squint and scrabble of people
pursuing their own mad vectors, becoming something else instead.”
— Darren Wershler-Henry
"Poetry is the new non-fiction. The best book in 2005 was the recently released
Shift and Switch (The Mercury Press, 192 pages, $19.95), a brilliant anthology of young poets
from across the country working in various avant-garde traditions."
— Natalee Caple, in a Calgary Herald article on the top books of 2005.