Lake County Museum

Local History

Time Line
by
Norma Lund

1827
  • Peter Skene Ogden led Hudson's Bay Company trappers at Goose Lake.
1832
  • Hudson Bay trappers under John Work were in Surprise Valley area and mentioned Hunter's Hot Springs. Work visited Warner Lakes, Abert Lake, camped at Crooked Creek in Chandler Park area where they ate wild plums. The were attacked by Indians.
1838
  • Colonel J. J. Abert, U.S. engineer, prepared a map showing Warner Lakes and other natural features using information from Hudson Bay trappers.
1843
  • John C. Fremont party named Christmas (Hart) Lake. They left The Dalles on November 25,1842 with 25 men including American, French, German, Canadian, Indian and Negro. Also included was Kit Carson. They were at Klamath Marsh on December 10, entered Lake County at Moon Creek on December 14, saw Summer Lake and named it and Winter Rim on December 16, camped on the eastern shore of Summer Lake on December 18, camped on the Chyewaucan 12 miles west of Abert Rim on December 19, camped on Abert Lake and Fremont named it in honor of Colonel J. J. Abert on December 20, camped on Swamp Lake on December 23 and camped on Hart Lake, naming it Christmas Lake on December 24-25. (Hart Lake was called Christmas Lake as recently as 1905 on maps, but by 1912 Christmas Lake was placed incorrectly in northern Lake County on maps.)
1846
  • Jesse Applegate and party came through Fort Bidwell, California area on Applegate Trail.
1849
  • Military party under Captain William H. Warner killed at 12-Mile Creek in Surprise Valley -- their purpose was to find a railroad pass and route for a military road. Warner was U.S. Topographical engineer. he was escorted by the 2nd Infantry commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Casey. They started from Sacramento in August. They explored east and north of Goose Lake and into in the Warner Basin. On September 26, Captain Warner, Frances Bercier and George Cove were killed by Indians.
1859
  • Oregon became a state with Lake County part of Wasco County.
1860's
  • Freight road established from Chico, California to Silver City, Idaho.
  • All swamp lands in the state of Oregon were granted to the State.
1864
  • Colonel Charles S. Drew and a detachment of troops entered and traversed what is now Lake County. Miners were coming from the Willamette Valley and California through Lake County to the gold fields of John Day, Powder River and Boise. Drew escorted miners from Chiloquin to Fort Boise. Drew's Valley is named for him.
1865
  • Fort Bidwell, California, constructed to protect settlers and supply trains. Lake County made part of Jackson County with county seat in Jacksonville.
1866-1867
  • Camp Warner established by General George Crook -- He left old Camp Warner on July 29, 1867, reaching the Honey Creek campsite on July 31, 1867. The Stone Bridge was constructed that summer and camp moved.
1867
  • M. W. Bullard settled at the mouth of Bullard Canyon.
  • Joseph Ross at Sugar Hill was the first Goose Lake Valley settler. He lived in a dugout.
  • David R. Jones probably the first Lake County suttler. He came as settler for Camp Warner and freighted grain into the camp. In 1867, he took up land on Honey Creek near the present town of Plush and built a ranch. His daughter Alice was born on August 24, 1869, and was the first white child in Warner Valley. She married Warren Cook Laird on August 9, 1896, and died on March 5, 1962.
1868
  • Indians defeated at Donner and Blitzen Creek in Harney County. On June 30, the hostile Indians met with General Crook for council and promised to quit fighting. This ended the Shoshone War. Crook was transferred to Fort Vancouver. Settlers would go to Camp Warner when uprisings occurred and also got their supplies from the commissary.
  • Supplies were freighted from The Dalles by oxen.
  • A Snider at Willow Ranch.
  • John O'Neil came to Camp Warner in charge of a pack train for General Crook. He went from Camp Warner through the Goose Lake Valley to Fort Crook in California and returned to Goose Lake Valley to settle near the state line in 1869.
1869
  • Hammersley family moved to the Lakeview area (actually in California) and built log cabin in New Pine Creek Area. (A. Z. and William Hammersley were members of this family -- also Mrs. Henry Hammersley (Newell) came at age 9.)
  • The first water rights in Lake County by T. B. Reed.
  • Beginning of the town of New Pine Creek.
  • General Crook made a treaty with the Indians (it may have been in 1968).
  • Nancy Myrtle was the first white woman in Goose Lake Valley. Minnie Myrtle, daughter of H. D. Myrtle was one of the first children born in Lake County.
  • Settlers in this year from Willamette Valley, fording the Sprague River to get here -- A. F. Snelling, H. M. Henderson, Milton Brown, Robert Tandy, William Tandy, T. Reed, Joe Robnette, ___ Sparks, ___Stone and ___ Bogue.
  • Alexander Reed and M. McShane settled on Crooked Creek.
  • Other settlers: R. V. Coffer, A Tenbrook, Alex Cooper, Oliver Shafer, Ira Gogswell, Alex Contner, John Clock, William Greenman, M. Cogswell, Samuel ___, B. F. ___, McCulleys, Milton Brown.
  • August Miller was one of the first to raise cattle in Lake County and the first store in Lake County started near the state line by Desible, Powley and King -- it only lasted a few weeks.
  • Newlyweds Martha Jane (McDaniels) and Matthew McCully came to Goose Lake Valley settling first at Crooked Creek, then Surprise Valley where Charlie Snyder had a store at Fort Bidwell, then moving to Davis Creek in 1870.
  • Christopher Cannon and F. M. Miller to Lake County.
  • Post office established at Willow Ranch.
1870
  • Oregon Legislature authorized citizens to buy swamp lands which led to a controversy between the Warner Valley Stock Company and Warner Valley settlers.
1871
  • C. Hagerhorst was the first man to run sheep in Lake County. He started a store and the post office was moved into his store.
  • M. M. Gillespie was the first white man to settle in the Chewaucan Valley.
  • First real ranchers were James Foster, The Heryfords and Brattains. Foster came in 1871 to Summer Lake Valley.
  • Pine Creek mill built by Andrew Z. Hammersly for Joe Robinette. There were several owners, including Hammerlys in 1875-1879, and again in 1894. Keller ran the mill until 1934 and his son Richard ran it until 1949.
1871-1873
  • T. J. Brattain came to Paisley. His father Paul had come to Oregon in 1852.
  • Two mining districts were formed -- Campbells on the northwest of Goose Lake and Goose Lake on the east side of the lake.
1872
  • Modoc War.
  • Bill Heryford brought 600 head of cattle to Goose Lake Valley.
  • Sherlock brothers came to Summer Lake Area.
  • William Harvey came to Summer Lake Valley.
  • Nancy Janie Bryan moved to Lake County. She lived at Clover Flat and operated the state station with her husband, Ahaz Washington Bryan. She also cooked for travelers, was postmistress and taught in the Clover Flat School. (She is the grandmother of Don Hotchkiss and Bea Shrewsbery.)
  • In 1872, for settlers in Lakeview area, the nearest store was at Willow Ranch, the closest post office at Hagerhorst (south of Lakeview) and the nearest doctor at Fort Bidwell or Camp Warner.
  • Mr. Spaulding established a water mill to cut lumber 6 miles southeast of Goose Lake.
1873
  • The first school in Lake County.
  • Charles Marshall came to the Silver Lake area -- he was a livestock man.
  • Post Office established at A. Tenbrook Ranch south of Lakeview.
1874
  • Paisley town site surveyed.
  • Silver Lake post office established 9 miles east of present site.
  • Fort Warner abandoned.
  • Lake County created from Jackson County (included most of present Lake and Klamath counties). Bill approved on October 24, 1874 by Governor Grover.
  • James and Elizabeth Foster moved to Summer Lake.
1875
  • William Harvey brought sheep to Summer Lake area.
  • February 1, 1875, Lake County became a separate political division from Jackson County with Linkville as temporary county seat.
  • December 9, 1875, post offices established at Silver Lake and Summer Lake.
  • The first county assessment with $469,334 in taxable property: 13,088 acres assessed at $2.45 per acre, 739 pigs, 20,148 sheep, 22,030 cattle, 2,841 horses and mules, 201 people in the eastern half and 164 in western half. It included 12,000 square miles (Klamath and Lake).
  • E. W. Joseph built a mill 17 miles north of Lakeview at Mill Flat on the road to Paisley.
1876
  • Will Vernon's family came first to Surprise Valley, then to Goose Lake Valley.
  • The name Lakeview was suggested at a settler's meeting by John Moss (only 2 building on the Lakeview town site at the time).
  • A. Snider General Merchandise store was established in Lakeview on Bullard Creek.
  • Post offices established in Lakeview and New Pine Creek -- NPC P.O. established on December 8, 1876 with S. A. Hammersly as Postmaster.
  • On June 5, 1976, a vote was taken to establish the county seat. 193 votes were cast variously for "Bullard's Creek", "Goose Lake Valley", "Bullard's Ranch" and "Bullard's Creek in Goose Lake Valley", people in Linkville said because of the various names used there was no clear majority for the county seat to be in eastern Lake County. R. H. Hatton, county clerk in temporary county seat in Linkville, refused to move the county records. In a subsequent (November 7) election, 181 votes were for Linkville and 242 for the newly established town of Lakeview.
  • James William "Bud" Harvey, an early freighter came to Lakeview. He drove a 12-hitch team from Lakeview to Red Bluff, California and sometimes to Reno, Nevada.
1877
  • The town site was plated in Lakeview by John Moon.
  • The first Methodist Church was organized in Lakeview.
  • First orchard started in Paisley.
  • Chewaucan Mercantile established in Paisley.
  • November 18, first issue of newspaper "State Line Herald".
  • J. W. Howard bought the store from Mr. Hagerhorst and moved it to Lakeview.
1878
  • Goose Lake area was opened fro homesteading (open range until then).
  • O. L. Stanley moved the Joseph Mill to Camp Creek. Lumber from this mill was used to build early buildings in Lakeview.
1879
  • First saloon in Paisley.
  • "Flintlock" Smith built a mill on Thomas Creek. J. M. Russell build a mill on Cottonwood Creek.
  • George Lynch came to Lake County.
Note
  • Prior to 1880, property was concentrated in herds of cattle. After 1880, property was concentrated in the land. Early ranchers thought it foolish to acquire land except for headquarters and watering spots.
1880
  • First courthouse -- 2 story house owned by George Conn.
  • The ZX Ranch originated in the 1880's as the Coughlin-Haggen Ranch with 1000-1500 head of cattle.
  • Lake County Examiner founded by Stephen Moss and C. A. Cogswell. The main revenue for newspapers was from legal advertisements due to the land claim boom as the homesteaders had to advertise their intentions and final claims.
  • Population of Lakeview - 270.
1881
  • Lakeview Institute organized.
  • Klamath County created from Lake County -- in 1885 Warner Valley area was taken from Grant Count and added to Lake County.
1882
  • Lakeview Institute chartered.
  • Klamath County created from the western part of Lake County.
1883
  • Wheeler and Tom Little built the first steamboat on Goose Lake, -- used for pleasure and to transport flour and fruit from New Pine Creek to Westside.
  • Fuller and Vince Snelling built a steam mill on Cox Creek.
1884
  • Joe Arzner came to Lakeview. He and Xavior "X" Arzner established the Arzner Blacksmith shop with 4 employees. At that time Lakeview had 4 stores, 2 livery stables, 4 blacksmiths, 1 hotel, several saloons and Indian camps in the area.
  • The Barry brothers came to Warner and Guano Valleys and Lakeview.
  • Solonos Harris came to Willow Ranch area.
1885
  • C. W. Dent came to Warner Valley.
  • The Methodist sanctuary was built on Main Street.
  • The Warner Valley area was taken from Grant County and added to Lake County.
  • The first school was built in the New Idaho District. Annie Duke was teacher in 1888, Bertha Kirk in 1889, Clara Clarkson in 1891-1892 and Will Lemon in 1893-1934.
  • The first store in Silver Lake.
1887
  • Dr. Daly came to Lakeview.
  • Mary and Swansey Ahlstrom came to Lakeview with sons Elmer and Fred. Swansey was a maker of the Ahlstrom and Gunther saddles which were famous throughout the West. In 1894 Elmer (age 17) bought the candy/ice cream store and he and Fred owned the Monogram Store.
  • John Henry Dent homesteaded at Camp Warner site on Honey Creek.
1888
  • Terrible winter (1889-1890) when 2/3 of the cattle and sheep in the county were killed (of 30,000 from the XL Company taken to Sycan March, only 1,500 survived).
  • Solonos Harris died in Lakeview while moving to Summer Lake to join his brothers, Clarence and Frank and sister Flavia (his first wife died in Missouri and his second wife died in 1889). Flavia raised Solonos' son Zed Harris and his half-sisters Lottie, Minie and Ada. This is the family that started the Harris School.
  • The Snelling mill burned.
  • James Metzker built a steam mill at 7-Up Ranch. Moved it to Camas Prairie. Lumber from it was used for buildings in Plush.
1889
  • The J-Spear Ranch in Paisley was homesteaded by Mr. and Mrs. James Small. Mrs. Small was Maude Brattain. The Smalls sold to William Reid who sold to George Jones. George's one daughter Frances, married Warner "Buck" Snider and when she died, Buck and George's other daughter Anna F. Jones were joint owners. When Buck died in 1965, Anna became sole owner.
  • February 20 -- the Town of Lakeview was chartered.
  • The Snelling mill burned again and was rebuilt on Crooked Creek.
1890
  • The Warner Valley Stock Company formed. Later known as MC Ranch, was founded by Robert McConnaughy under the Oregon Swamp Act of the 1880's.
1891
  • Dr. Daly was elected to the Sate House. He served from 1892-1900.
  • The Forest Reserve Act -- 13,000,000 acres were set aside.
1892-1898
  • Candidates with Peoples Party listed as party affiliation.
1893
  • James K. Snyder built a mill in the Camp Creek area.
1894
  • Snow from March to May results in large stock loss.
  • December 24 fire at Silver Lake killed 43 people.
  • Alice Sullivan came from Davis Creek to teach at Harris School, boarded at the Harris family station and married Zeb. They had intended to go to silver Lake the night of the fire.
1895
  • J. H. Hotchkiss lived at the Chandler Ranch.
1896
  • Adel named by Burt Sessions for his girlfriend.
  • Dr. Daly was elected to the State Senate.
1897
  • J. J. Monroe started the Adel Store.
  • 21,000,000 additional acres were added to the Forest Reserve System.
1898
  • August 20, S. W. Thompson, wife beater and desperado from Warner Valley was lynched by group of Lakeview citizens headed by Joe Morrow, who took the keys to the jail from Deputy Al Hemings and hanged Thompson from the courthouse porch.
  • Silver Lake fire memorial was erected.
  • Bank of Lakeview (Dr. Daly) was incorporated.
1899
  • Harrison Canyon was named for Frank Harrison.
  • March 23, The King Real Estate company of Portland was negotiating the purchase of Hagin and Coughlin Ranch. W. P. Heryford was asked to count and grade the cattle. The firm has 23,000 acres valued at $5.00 per acre. Purchase will probably be one quarter million dollars.
  • 35,000 head of cattle sold in Lake County for $1million; 15,000 sheep $225,000; 1,500,000 pounds of wool $195,000; other livestock over $120,000 -- total livestock income $1,460.000.
1900
  • Hotel Lakeview built by Marius Miller.
  • Major fire, Downtown Lakeview burned on May 22. Ahlstroms lost $8,000 in merchandise in the fire, $250,000 total loss, only 2 business houses not burned, 64 buildings destroyed. By October 15, new brick buildings had been constructed.
1901
  • Lora Butler came to Lakeview to teach 8-10 grades. She married lawyer/judge Lafayette Conn. She brought Chautauqua to Lakeview and also started the first kindergarten in her home and directed the High School orchestra.
1902
  • Dr. Daly was named Lake County Judge.
1903
  • An article mentioned a 20 x 30 bath house near Lakeview.
  • Large rabbit drive in Plush.
  • The Stockman's Station at Alkali Lake was kept by James Johnson.
  • June 2, Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson came through Lakeview on the first transcontinental auto trip.
  • Filibert Roth investigated the possibility of Goose Lake Forest Reserve.
  • At that time there were 64 cattle owners with a total of 17,000 head of cattle in Lake County.
1904
  • February 3 - masked men killed 2,200 sheep belonging to the Benham Brothers (herder Phil Barry) at Christmas Lake.
  • March 4 - John Creed Conn, Silver Lake merchant disappeared and his body was found April 25 in a field northwest of Silver Lake with 2 bullets in his breast and one in the back.
  • There was another sheep slaughter on April 29 with 2,400 sheep killed near Silver Lake. The Governor offered a $2,000 reward for anyone maliciously killing sheep of their organization's members. Apparently there was a Crook County Sheep Shooters organization that boasted of killing 8-10,000 sheep in 1904. No arrests were ever made for the sheep shootings.
1905
  • Gold was discovered at the head of Bidwell Creek by Peter Lorenzo on February 1st.
  • Forest Reserves were transferred to the Department of Agriculture (this later became the National Forest). These reserves included areas where stockmen summered their herds. Ranchers now had to get permits.
  • Quotation from A. B. Shaver's Illustrated History of Central Oregon, Lakeview had the distinction of being the farthest from a railroad of any county seat town in the U.S. (The closest railroad was 150 miles away.)
1905-1917
  • North Lake County towns in this era were Fremont, Lake, Sink, Fleetwood, Connley, Arrow, Buffalo, View Point, Cliff, and Loma Vista.
1906
  • Roy Shirk and Bill Harvey were in San Francisco at the time of the earthquake.
  • The horse General Crook was buried in the courthouse lawn.
  • Snelling Mill was moved to Camp Creek by Lakeview Lumber Company (Massingell, Bernard and Rinehart).
  • On August 21, the Goose Lake Forest Reserve was established with 630,000 acres.
  • On September 17, the Fremont Forest Reserve was established with 1,235,720 acres.
1907
  • Clarence and Lloyd Ogle arrived in Lakeview.
  • The Heryfords sold their holdings in Lake and Modoc Counties to the Cox and Clark Cattle Company (known as the XL) for $250,000, who in turn sold to the OVL.
  • Forest Service established.
  • The Goose Lake and Fremont Forests were put under administration with Martin L. Erickson as administrator. On June 1, Guy Ingram became supervisor. (Held position until September 12, 1910.)
1908
  • California, Oregon and Nevada Livestock Protection Association was active. Members included the Chewaucan Land Cattle Company, Heryford Land and Cattle Company, Lake County Land and Livestock Company, Warner Valley Stock Company (owned by Dr. Daly), and individuals William Brown, George Jones, George Hawkins, S. B. Chandler, C. A. Rehart, N. Fine, W. A. Currier, Frank Bauers, J. C. Hotchkiss, Calderwood Brothers, T. A. Crump, T. J. Brattain & Sons, Cressler & Bonner, W. T. Cressler and Maud I. Rambo.
  • There was diphtheria in Lakeview.
1909
  • September 9, the Oregon Valley Land Company drawing for land in the lottery. Fred Hanson was given the contract to build Drews Dam and the Westside irrigation canals for Martin & Borders of Kansas City, owners of the Oregon Valley Land Company, which subdivided and sold the old Oregon Central Millitary Road grant lands. Hanson sublet the construction to Burney and Bentz and bought land on the west side of Goose Lake in Oregon and California thinking railroads would come in. He stayed to operate the Point Ranch for 35 years.
  • The OVL sold chances for $200 on 10/20/80/160 and 320 acre tracts.
  • The 10 acre lots could be irrigated; the larger tracts were on the desert.
  • They had oversold chances so they bought the Heryford Ranch.
  • September 5 was the maiden voyage of the steamer Lakeview, which carried 68 passengers from the south end of Goose Lake to Lakeview.
  • Valley Falls named for the falls on Chewaucan River.
  • 320-acre parcels of land offered for homesteading.
  • James Foster died.
1910
  • The murder of Hubert and Walter Newell in June 1910,
  • Heryford Building was built.
  • Heryfords sold most of their holdings to the Oregon Valley Land Corporation.
  • Fremont School in north Lake County was built. It was white with a red roof. Mr. Banister was the first teacher.
  • "Judge" Wilshire operated a waterpower mill on Cottonwood Creek. In 1911, there was an early timber sale on July 1 for 25,000 board feet of western yellow pine and 14,000 board feet of sugar pine.
  • Gilbert Brown became supervisor of the Fremont Forest and continued as supervisor until 1931.
  • The Central Fremont Cattle and Horse Association was organized.
1910-1911
  • Harry Utley was the first game warden in Lake County.
1911
  • The Heryford House was built in Lakeview. It was the first home in Lakeview with modern improvements.
  • The Godons settled at Fleetwood in Fort Rock area.
  • Numerous rabbit drives.
  • The town of Lakeview donated land for a train depot to the Nevada, California, Oregon Railway. When the railroad was being built north of Alturus, it would probably have stopped at the state line except the Lakeview Board of Trade appointed W. Lair Thompson, Vint Snelling, Harry Bailey and H. W. Drenkel to try to get it to Lakeview. Hanson arranged for them to meet Mr. Duniway, manager of the NCO in Alturas. Duniway said the railroad was supposed to go only to New Pine Creek, but the Moran brothers would permit construction as far as Hanson, the contractor, could get done that year. They reached Lakeview.
  • October 22, New Pine Creek fire and all businesses except the Lake Hotel and the Fleming Brothers Store burned. $40,000 loss.
1912
  • The enlarged Homestead Act increased acreage to 320 acres.
  • Cougar Valley School was built in North Lake County.
  • February 5, a fire started at the Opera House and burned 2 other stores and one residence.
  • The Stone Bridge named a National Monument by President Taft.
  • June 9, Pat and Hank Albertson homesteaded in the Yocum Valley.
  • The first school in Yocum Valley was built in Hank's house. The first teacher was Verna Weaver.
  • New Pine Creek had population of 300, Lakeview 1,500-2,000.
  • The grand opening of the railroad depot was on November 5.
  • Emil Hartig started a shingle mill at the head of Box Canyon.
  • Burt K. Snyder and Fred Reynolds formed the partnership which later became Howard's Drugs.
  • July 7, the first ore from the High Grade Mine was shipped out of New Pine Creek.
1913
  • The Heryford Building was built. Cost was estimated at $100,000. It had the modern conveniences of steam head, elevator, hot and cold water and electric lights.
  • The Lake County Wool Growers Association was organized with 30 members. Purpose was to advance the interest of wool producing and sheep raising.
  • First county fair board, second "annual fair" in Paisley.
1915
  • Home Supply Company (Lakeview's first chain store) was built by Dr. Daly, Patrick Murphy, William Barry, McAuliff, Sanders and Massengill.
  • The Irish picnic.
  • The "Lady of the Lake" was built and used on Goose Lake for 7 years.
  • The homestead allotment was increased to 640 acres.
  • Several people from Idaho settled in the New Idaho District, the Abramsons, Jamiesons and Barners.
  • 1915-1922, Lake County Fair in Paisley.
1916-1918
  • China Jim Ogle drove the mail stage from Lakeview to Paisley.
  • The Chewaucan Marsh was drained and its bed contained 17,000 acres of irrigated land. This cost the ZX $1,000,000.
1918
  • Jimi Oxamus drove a band of sheep from Cottonwood to Nyssa.
1920
  • Methodist Church build, cornerstone set November 14, 1920.
  • Leota Frakes taught school in Adel (1920's).
  • January 5, Dr. Daly dies while en route to San Francisco.
  • The Underwood Lumber Company and Lakeview Lumber and Box Company were incorporated in Lakeview.
  • The Pennsylvania Door and Sash Company began purchasing timber on Cottonwood Creek and acquired a mill site in Lakeview.
  • First Roundup.
  • Lakeview Hospital opened.
1922
  • The first services in the Methodist Church.
  • Work started on the Cottonwood Dam.
1923
  • Harry Hunter bought and named the hot springs area and built a 22 room stucco building and swimming pool. Hunter's Hot Springs started spouting after well drillers struck a geyser flow at 55 feet.
  • Fair and Roundup in Lakeview.
1924
  • Range War in the Wagontire area started between Frank Dobkins and Harold Bradley. Dobkins and the Huttons continued to argue and sue one another. In 1926 Dobkins filed homestead claims on 640 acres which was comprised of 16 forty-acre tracts completely surounding W. W. Brown's water hole on Wagontire Butte. In 1928 he fenced his "homestead"with barbed wire cutting off access to the waterhole. In 1929 officials of the Oregon Human Society were sent to cut the fences to keep animals from dying from thirst. In 1930 Dobkins set armed men to guard his fences and a Humane Society Agent was arrested attempting to cut the wire. The Human Society appealed to Governor Narblad who appealed to President Hover regarding the emergency in Lake County. Hoover ordered 3 of the forty-acre tracts withdrawn from the homestead. Dobkins was served an order by a U.S. attorney on July 31, 1930 and his homestead entry was cancelled on September 22, 1931. The range war simmered for 8 years until May of 1939 when Dobkins was shot at the waterhole by another rancher, J. B. Burke. Curiously, America Hutton's husband, Jim Sutherland took Dobkins to the Burns-Lakeview highway. Dobkins died and Burke was found guilty of first degree murder.
  • In January, the ZX drove 10,000 head of cattle to Harney County for winter feeding.
  • Clinton Howard became a partner in the Snyder drug store.
1925
  • The NCO Railroad was sold to Southern Pacific.
1926
  • Lorena Trickey killed Slim Harris on Roundup weekend - famous trial.
  • Thomas Creek Grange organized.
  • The first large timber sale on the Fremont Forest, 37 million board feet to the Crooked Creek Lumber Company.
1927
  • The proposed Yellowstone Cutoff from Burns to Lakeview to San Francisco.
  • C. J. and Erma Clause came to Lakeview from Bray County and started LBM on the site of Kelly's Brickyard.
1928
  • Harry Hunter died. Dr. H. E. Kelly opened a sanitarium at the hot springs.
  • Passenger service on the train reduced to tri-weekly.
  • Price of sheep was $9.00.
  • The Southern Pacific Railroad bought NCO line and converted it to broad gage track. (Having a narrow gauge railroad to Lakeview was limited benefit because lumber had to be double loaded and therefor wasn't profitable.)
  • Note: 1885-1928, Lakeview was a commercial center for the livestock industry. 1928-1939, Lakeview became an industrial town with 10 mills and remanufacturing plants.
1929
  • There were 175,000 sheep in Lake County. Major drought.
  • Price of sheep was $2.25.
1930
  • The first meeting of the Order of the Antelope.
  • 1.5 million pounds of wool shipped out of Lakeview.
1931
  • 30 million board fee of lumber were produced in Lake County.
  • Lake County population, 4,833.
1932
  • Crane Creek Lumber Company's Fandango mill reopened and Buzard Lumber Company opened.
1933
  • CCC Camps, Ingram, Silver Creek and Bly built.
1934
  • The Taylor Grazing Act, which closed the open range, was enacted.
1935
  • Westside Grange was organized.
  • Six large mills were operating: Buzard-Burkhart Underwood, R. S. Adams, DeArmond (2 mills), Crooked Creek. Also 4 small mills: A. L. Edgerton, Fields and Wilhelm, Lake County Pine and Roke.
  • 80 million board feet were produced.
1936
  • William Kittredge bought the MC Ranch and built dikes to develop it.
1937
  • The last passenger service on the railroad, December 2.
1938
  • The Godon family had the largest beef herd in Fort Rock Valley.
  • Dr. Lewis Cressman found 75 sagebrush bark sandals at Fort Rock Cave.
  • On October 13, a 2,500 pound meteorite was found in the Devil's Garden area on the west side of Goose Lake, about a mile south of the Oregon/California border.
1939
  • McDonald established the Lakeview Logging Company.
1941
  • Mill workers and loggers unionized.
1943
  • McDonald and Collins bought the Fremont Lumber Company.
  • The Fremont forest sold more logs than any other National forest in the Pacific Northwest.
1945
  • On May 5, Elsie Mitchell and five children were killed in a Japanese bomb incident near Bly (in Lake County). These were the only deaths from enemy action in the Continental U.S. in WWII.
1947
  • The Point Ranch was sold to the Dougherty Lumber Company of Cleveland, Ohio, who also owned the Willow Ranch Company. Point Ranch was later owned by Ralph Renner and then Allen Greenwood.
  • A plane crash on October 28, in the Dog Lake area, took the lives of Governor Snell, State Senate President Marshall Cornett. Secretary of State Robert Farrell and pilot Cliff Hogue.
1948
  • National Monument order for Stone Bridge was withdrawn.
  • Lake County Picnic at Paisley.
1953
  • Arthur D. Hay School dedicated on October 8. It was built by the Brosterhaus Construction Company of Klamath Falls. It was named for a prominent Lakeview attorney, justice of the State Supreme Court and School Board member.
1954
  • The present courthouse was completed.
1958
  • The ZX Ranch was sold for $5 million. Prior to that, it was operated by the Kern County Land Company. It was sold to sinton Brown Company from Santa Maria, California. The ranch comprised over 171,000 acres of deeded land and over a million acres of leased grazing and range land. The sale included $3 million in 18,000 cows, calves and bulls.
  • December 1, the Lakeview Mining Company had a $3 million uranium reduction plant 5 miles north of Lakeview. It was called the White King Uranium Mine. Ore was worth $30 a ton. Oliver Hower was superintendent of the mine. The mill ran 24 hours a day and processed 231 tons a day. The ore was carried 15 miles in large diesel trucks.
1961
  • The Christmas Valley Land Rush was promoted by developer M. Penn Phillips Company.
1964
  • Burt Snyder died and the Burt Snyder Education Foundation was established to supplement the Daly Fund.
1966
  • In July, the ZX Ranch sold for $6 million to Nicholas Salgo, New York City and Hugh Holff, San 'Antonio, Texas.
1967
  • The MC Ranch (26,000 acres) was sold to M. Taylor Lawrence Jr. of Elko, Nevada.
1968
  • J. T. McDonald died on May 2. The Collins McDonald college scholarship was established. McDonald was also instrumental in establishing the kindergarten, youth center, swimming pool, Mercy Flights, the disaster unit and Boy Scouts.
1975
  • July 15, freight service was terminated by the Southern Pacific and the train depot was closed.

  

Background Music: "Going Home"

Published: October 3, 2006

Updated: January 30, 2007

Copywrite: Lake County Museum 2005-2007