Compton Community College was established
in 1927 as a component of the Compton Union
High School District. In the 1940's several
thousand Compton College students entered the
armed forces and during World War II the campus
housed a military unit and a defense plant.
The new college campus was then constructed
at the College's present site, 1111 East Artesia
Boulevard. Classes began on the new campus in
the Fall of 1953.
In the 1960’s the composition of the student
body changed dramatically from predominantly
Caucasian to overwhelmingly African-American.
In 1970, the Board of Trustees appointed the
institution’s first African- American
President/Superintendent, Dr. Abel B. Sykes,
Jr. Highlights during his 14-year administration
included the construction of the first two new
campus buildings since 1952: the Jane Astredo
Allied Health Building and the Abel B. Sykes,
Jr. Child Development Center (named after him
The 1980’s were a period of reduced funding
and partial retrenchment for the institution,
but by the early 1990’s the college had
once again stabilized. The second major demographic
shift occurred in the 1990’s making the
campus population 50% African-American and 50%
Hispanic. In 1995 the Board appointed Ulis C.
Williams as Interim President/Superintendent
and in January 1997 made the appointment permanent.
During President William’s tenure the
college built the Ralph C. Dills Vocational-Technology
Center and the Carl E. Robinson Math-Sciences
Building. Student enrollment at the college
is approximately 10,000.