Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation: Indianapolis, IN Temple Sinai: Lake Charles, LA
Temple Adath Israel: Louisville, KY
Reform Congregation Adath Israel received its charter in September 1842. This third synagogue building, designed by Kenneth McDonald and J.F. Sheblessy, was dedicated on June 3, 1906. The neo-classical design is shared by many other early twentieth-century structures built in Louisville, a result of the strength and prestige of the architects. Also known as the "Third Street Synagogue," this structure was listed in the National Registry of Historic Places in 1975. In 1977 it was sold to an Apostolic Church.
ID 14
state KY
city Louisville
synagogue name Temple Adath Israel
date erected or dedicated June 3, 1906
postmark unknown
produced by unknown
architect Kenneth McDonald and J.F. Sheblessy
affiliation Reform

Copyright 1999-2004 by the National Museum of American Jewish History