The cemetery resulted from the merger of the Bay View and New York Bay cemeteries in the 1840s. It fills an expansive area between Garfield and Ocean Avenues and the sloped area from Garfield Avenue to the bottom of the hill, with a view of New York City, in the southeastern section of Jersey City. There are main entrances on Ocean Avenue and at the intersection of Garfield and Chapel Avenues.
Among those buried in the cemetery are: members of the Lembeck family of the former Lembeck & Betz Eagle Brewery; George Von Arx, the noted architect for his design of many firehouses; and Hugh Roberts, the architect of the Brennan Hudson County Court House and other city structures. Political figures buried in the cemetery are New Jersey governors Edward I. Edwards and A. Harry Moore, Jersey City mayors Edward Hoos, George L. Record, and Glenn D. Cunningham, as well as the financier E.F.C. Young.
After the cemetery opened, Cunard, the British steamship company, purchased an enclosed plot of several lots. It was reserved for employees who lived in the community. The Cunard line was located on the Jersey City waterfront and over the years approximately one hundred Cunard workers were buried here. An inscription on the granite monument at the center of the plot reads: "Erected by the crews of the Cunard steamships in memory of their dear shipmates." The earliest listing of the deceased marks the death of Hugh McPherson in 1857. There is also a marker for the deceased of the HMS Hibernia. In December 1847, it became the first Cunard ship docked at the Jersey City piers that were started by the Associates of the Jersey Company.
Cemetery Section of New York Bay Cemetery
Garfield and Chapel Avenues
New York Bay Cemetery
was opened in 1845 in response to the burial needs of the immigrants across
New York Bay. Among the earliest burials were Jewish residents of New
York City. Fraternal organizations from New York--the Sol Benjamin Society
and a lodge of the United Order of the Sons of David--supervised the care
of some of the graves. Most of the forty to fifty graves have dates of
those who died in the 1870s and 1880s. Inscriptions on some of the stones
indicate the places of birth of the deceased as Germany and Alsace. The
oldest readable grave marker is for Moses Hirsch, 1857. The first Jewish
congregation in Jersey City was founded in 1870.
| By: Carmela Karnoutsos
Project Administrator: Patrick Shalhoub