Home arrow History
HISTROY OF KILREA GAC PDF Print E-mail
Written by Paul   

PADRAIG PEARSES GAC

The first Kilrea club was established on the 15th of November 1943 taking the name O'Cahans and playing in the blue and gold jerseys of a defunct soccer club. The first minor team took to the field in 1946 and many of those players enabled the club to win the Junior Champoinship in 1951. In the early 50's the club changed its name to the Kevin Barry's playing in the amber and black colours of Kilkenny.

Late in 1956 the club reformed for the final time in it's present form as Padraig Pearses wearing white shirts with a red hoop. The club won junior league and South Derry Championships before moving to compete in senior football in 1958.

In 1966 the Pearses won the inaugural under 16 champiuonship with a young Martin O'Neill, who went on to make his name as a soccer player and manager, the baby of the side in both age and size. Members of this team went on to win the County minor title in 1970. In late 1977 work began on the current club grounds at Pearse Park, which were opened in 1979 by which stage the club, had won everything but the Derry Senior Club Championship, which continues to elude the Pearses to date. Recent achievements have been the result of intensive effort at underage level with league and championship victories at all age levels. Club development is currently preparing for the construction of a new pavillion including four new changing rooms to compliment the second pitch which was completed in 2001.

 
© KILREA GAC 2006