the invitation of Bishop Murray of Maitland, six Brigidine Sisters
left their mother house in Mountrath, Ireland on 16 April 1883 to
found a school at Coonamble, NSW.
By 1890 the Brigidine Sisters had
founded schools in Victoria as well as in other NSW country towns.
Novitiates were established to prepare the young Australian women who
wanted to join the Sisters.
With the opening of Brigidine College,
Randwick in 1901 the Sisters continued their work of education in
Sydney, going on to found many other schools in the metropolitan area.
The Brigidine Sisters also established
communities in every state in Australia as well as New Zealand and
Papua New Guinea.
History Of Brigidine
College St Ives
the Brigidine Sisters opened Brigidine College, on 9 February
1954, there were 9 pupils in the one building which housed both
the Convent and classrooms. The College had previously been an
orchard and dairy and was still surrounded by semi-rural
properties. With the building of the tennis and basketball courts
later that year the College commenced its long, successful
tradition as a competitive sporting force. These early days saw
the establishment of a dynamic, supportive Parents’ and Friends’
Association whose activities continue today. In 1959 the Convent
and the Novitiate were built and the Novices moved from Randwick
to St Ives.
first College extension was in 1964 and included a much need Hall.
This was followed in 1967 by the construction of 2 parallel
buildings adding a science block, library and classrooms. In 1971
a new education wing was added to the College and in the late 1970’s
a freestanding library and 3rd tennis court were added
to the Campus. In 1979 the annual College musical and College play
were introduced. Rapid increases in pupil numbers resulted in a
demountable complex being raised in 1981 and the construction of
the McCammon Wing in 1986 which was extended in 1988. A designated
Prayer Space was now available. In 1991 the Gymnasium opened. A
broad-based interrelated curriculum, with subject options often
not available in other girls’ schools, was introduced in the
early 1990’s. The Computer & Electronics Wing and Design
& Technology Area were soon built to resource these along with
enhanced music facilities.
1994 the Brigidine Sisters moved out of the Convent handing the
building over to the College. By 1997 it was totally refurbished
to provide administrative and educational facilities. Following
the departure of the last Brigidine Sister on the College staff
the College governance was transferred, in 1998, to a Company.
was in 2000 that girls with special needs were integrated into the
College with the opening of the Chisholm Centre. Followed the next
year by the construction of the (multifunctional) Henry Lindo
Tennis Courts and St Brigid’s Chapel and Religious Education
the Jubilee Year the College will be building our exciting new
Jubilee Hall and new Romuald Visual Arts Centre.
In 2005 the
College completed its major Jubilee project, Bowie Hall and the
official opening was held on Sunday November 18. By the end of 2005
many events including the Year 12 Graduation Assembly and Dinner, the
P&F Trivia Night, art and technology exhibitions, drama showcases and
musical evenings had been held in this exciting new area.
Completion of this
new facility allowed for the refurbishment and renovation of the
former Romuald Hall to create the Romuald Visual Arts Centre during
Terms 2 and 3. Classes commenced in this dynamic new area in October