Information|Enrolment|Curriculum| Co-Curriculum|Pastoral Care|Community|Newsletters
Navigation:    Home arrow About Monte arrow Our History

Contact Us

Monte Sant' Angelo Mercy College
128 Miller Street
North Sydney, 2060
New South Wales 

Ph: +61 (02) 9409 6200
Fx: +61 (02) 9956 5925


Email: This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it


Our History PDF Print E-mail
ImageMonte Sant' Angelo is the oldest independent girls school on Sydney's North Shore. Founded by Mother Ignatius McQuoin in 1875 the school, owned by the Sisters of Mercy, North Sydney, and governed by the College Board, provides a Catholic education for girls.

The Sisters of Mercy were founded in Ireland in 1831 by Catherine McAuley. The Order took an active role in the community addressing sickness, poverty, and the need to educate. The Mercy spirit is still alive at Monte Sant' Angelo.

ImageThe College was first established on the corner of West and Carlow Streets, North Sydney. By 1879, the school had outgrown its original site and moved to Miller Street where it stands today. Monte now has more than one thousand students in modern facilities. The name of the College is taken from Monte Sant' Angelo, a centre of religion, culture and learning in Gargano, Italy.


 
< Prev   Next >