Official proclamation of the Hundred of Booleroo took place on 16 June 1875. The name Booleroo is a corruption of the aboriginal word "Bulyeroo" or Bulyaroo" which according to one authority means "soft mud and clay", and to another, "plenty".
No town was ever surveyed in the hundred of Booleroo. The Government town of Booleroo was surveyed in 1878 and proclaimed on 25th July 1878. The early settlers chose the actual township. This area became known as Mt View, although the township was never started at this location.
Booleroo is a service town to the surrounding farming district which include wheat, barley, oats, canola, peas, beans, legumes, beef cattle, sheep, pigs and hay, with the exception of farmers now diversifying into grapes and olives