When assigning St Magnus as the Patron Saint of Churchie Canon Morris had hoped that the boys would be referred to as ‘Magnates’. At first, he did not like the nick-name ‘Churchie’, however when it had become commonplace by the 1930s and well respected around Queensland he accepted the change.
In 1979, Churchie, along with other schools, received a seedling from the original Lone Pine at Gallipoli. Ours is planted on the terrace overlooking the War Memorial on The Flat.
The Annie M. Stevens award for Outstanding Academic Achievement in Year 11 is a gift endowed by Mr J.T.T. Stevens in memory of his wife. Both were friends and admirers of the School.
Until the early 1960s, ‘swimming The Pocket’ was a necessary requirement for a boy entering Churchie. Canon Morris believed that all boys should be able to swim and swim well. Those who couldn’t swim on entry, were taught to swim before attempting 'The Pocket'. The Viking Test was across Norman Creek and back, about 100 yards. The River King was four times backwards and forwards across the creek, about 400 yards and The Pocket King was round The Pocket, a distance of about one mile. In 1950, of the 443 boys who swam, only six were unable to complete the course. Graeme William Treadgold Kenny was the youngest boy ever to swim the notorious ‘Pocket’ at the age of seven in 1941.
The boat, ‘Tyr’ in Churchie’s fleet, is named after the Norse God of War and Love. The ‘Sleipnir’, Churchie’s newest VIII is named after Odin’s eight-legged horse which, as you can imagine, was very fast indeed! ‘Aegir’ was the God of Storms and the Sea and ‘Balder’ was the God of Beauty and Charisma.
The ceiling of the Canon Jones Memorial Chapel was designed to represent a Viking long-boat turned upside-down. A congregation of boys represent the Viking rowing that boat. Of course, the word ‘nave’ comes from the Latin ‘navis’, a ship, and is a metaphor for The Ship of the Church keeping its congregation safe in the great sea of life.
Back to History and Traditions