Kahibah Public School .... Memorial Hall Overview ....
On 1922-10-21 the Memorial Hall was opened in Hexham Street. It has also
been known as the "Soldiers' Memorial Hall". Within the hall were
the 2 Honour Rolls for the men and women that went to World War 1 and World
Over the life of the hall it was used for School, picture theatre,
library, play group. The last play group left in December 1995.
From 1938 to 1951 it was used as the Kahibah Infant School.
1952 to 1954 as the Kahibah Public School.
While Kahibah Public School was using the Memorial Hall, it was divided
into 2 class rooms separated by a curtain. At the back of the hall was a
library (not known if this was a school library or a public library).
After the school moved into the new buildings on the hill (1954), the hall
was used as a picture theatre. The picture theatre closed in the 1960's due
to the impact of TV.
The hall was demolished in 1996 to make way for home units.
The proceeds from the sale of the land were given to Kahibah Public School
P&C with the Kahibah Public School receiving a dollar for dollar grant
from the Government. On 2002-12-19 Richard Face handed over additional funds
from the Department of Education.
The first sod was turned on the Kahibah Public School Memorial Hall on
Construction began 2002-09
This is a joint Department of Education / community funded hall, with
approx 33% of the funds for the construction coming from the community.
First function held on 2002-12-18 – year 6 farewell dinner / dance
Open Day held on 2003-09-13 to
acknowledge the community support in the construction of the hall.
Width=24m Length=42m Area=1008 square
Seating on both on the floor (600) and tiered seating (200).
Stage width=24m depth=6.5m area=156
square metres (curtains not yet installed)
Usable space - Stage 156 square metres
Usable space - Floor area - 600 square metres
Kitchen / Toilets