First structure erected on the Tech Campus
  Originally called the Academic Building
  Opened its doors in October, 1888
  Included a chapel that the students attended daily
  Sign with TECH appeared on Tower in 1918
  Written documentation that the sign was lighted in 1922, but it could have been done earlier
  TECH became individual letters outlined in neon in the 1950's.
  The fad of stealing the "T" was popular for about 30 years
  In the 1980's the letters were welded down and an alarm system was installed
  To even attempt to steal the "T" today can lead to immediate expulsion from Tech
The First Tech Tower on the right

Georgia Tech Alumni Association, Copyright 2005-2007