Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > NEWS

Old 08-29-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
MattBrady

DC ANNOUNCES SHOWCASE PRESENTS CHANGES

Press Release
DC Comics announces several changes for the fall 2007 lineup of SHOWCASE PRESENTS titles, including rush solicitations on three new titles, new instore and Final Order Cutoff dates change for two titles, and order cancellations for four titles.

DC Comics rush solicits the following titles:

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS VOL. 1 TP (JUL078179)

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SGT. ROCK VOL. 1 TP (JUL078177)

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS SUPERGIRL VOL. 1 TP (JUL078178)

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS VOL. 1 TP (JUL0780179) collects stories from SUPERMAN #76 and WORLD’S FINEST COMICS #71-111, written by Edmond Hamilton, Alvin Schwartz, Bill Finger, Jerry Coleman and others with art by Curt Swan, Dick Sprang, John Fischetti, Stan Kay, Charles Paris, Ray Burnley, Sheldon Moldoff and others.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS VOL. 1 is a 552 page black and white trade paperback with a cover price of $16.99 U.S., and is scheduled to arrive in stores on October 17. The Final Order Cutoff date for this title is September 13.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SGT. ROCK VOL. 1 TP (JUL0780177) collects stories from G.I. COMBAT #68 and OUR ARMY AT WAR #81-117, written by Robert Kanigher and Bob Haney with art by Joe Kubert, Jerry Grandenetti, Irv Novick, Russ Heath, Ross Andru and Mike Esposito.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SGT. ROCK VOL. 1 is a 544-page black and white trade paperback with a cover price of $16.99 U.S., and is scheduled to arrive in stores on November 14. The Final Order Cutoff date for this title is October 11.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL VOL. 1 TP (JUL0780178) collects stories from ACTION COMICS #252-281, SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #40, 44, 46, 51 AND 52, ADVENTURE COMICS #278, SUPERBOY #80, SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 314, and SUPERMAN #123, 139, 140 and 144, written by Otto Binder, Jerry Siegel, Robert Bernstein and others with art by Al Plastino, Jim Mooney, Curt Swan, Dick Sprang, Kurt Schaffenberger, Wayne Boring and others.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL VOL. 1 is a 528-page black and white trade paperback with a cover price of $16.99 U.S., and is scheduled to arrive in stores on November 28. The Final Order Cutoff date for this title is October 25.

In addition, the SHOWCASE PRESENTS: TEEN TITANS VOL. 2 TP which will appear in the September Previews now has a new instore date of October 31. This title may be ordered under its current item code of SEP070225 and has a new Final Order Cutoff date of October 11.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: TEEN TITANS VOL. 2 is an 512-page black and white trade paperback with a cover price of $16.99. This title collects TEEN TITANS #19-36, BRAVE AND THE BOLD #83 and 94 and WORLD’S FINEST COMICS #205, written by Bob Haney, Mike Friedrich, Neal Adams, Robert Kanigher, Steve Skeates and Marv Wolfman with art by Gil Kane, Neal Adams, Nick Cardy, George Tuska, Carmine Infantino, Sal Amendola, Dick Dillin, Jim Aparo, Wallace Wood and Joe Giella.

Please also note that SHOWCASE PRESENTS: METAL MEN VOL. 1 TP (JUL070211) has a revised instore date of September 26, with a new Final Order Cutoff date of August 30.

Also, current orders for the following SHOWCASE PRESENTS titles are cancelled. These titles will be resolicited at a later date:

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: CAPTAIN CARROT VOL. 1 (JUN070217)

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE GREAT DISASTER FEATURING THE ATOMIC KNIGHTS AND HERCULES VOL. 1 (JUL070210).

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE SUICIDE SQUAD VOL. 1 (AUG070283)

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER VILLAINS VOL. 1 TP (AUG070284)

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: JONAH HEX VOL. 2 (SEP070223)

Look for retro-solicitations of SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD: THE BATMAN TEAM-UPS VOL. 2 TP and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA VOL. 3 TP, both scheduled to arrive in stores in December, in the October Previews.

DC COMICS ANNOUNCES NEW TITLE FOR TALES OF THE SINESTRO CORPS PRESENTS: THE ANTI-MONITOR #1

TALES OF THE SINESTRO CORPS PRESENTS: THE ANTI-MONITOR #1 (AUG070223) will arrive in store with the title TALES OF THE SINESTRO CORPS PRESENTS: SUPERMAN PRIME #1. This issue now will run 48 pages and feature a cover price of $3.99 U.S.

Retailers may adjust orders on this title through the Final Order Cutoff date of October 4.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
80Pork

WHAT?!?!?

They cancelled the Captain Carrot Showcase?!? Aww, man...well, hopefully they WILL offer it at a later date. I thought this was gonna coincide with the release of the new mini-series...
Old 08-29-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
K-DoG7p7

Sooo.. no Anti-monitor in TALES OF THE SINESTRO CORPS PRESENTS: SUPERMAN PRIME #1?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
delawarejoel

Aw shucks

I was looking forward to the Great Disaster book....

...maybe I was the only one and thats the reason its delayed....
Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
Somebody

Is this because of the royalties thing?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
DarkKnight1013

Well, it's both good and bad for me, I suppose. I was looking forward to Great Disaster and SSOV, and had been getting people to pre-order the Suicide Squad one at my store, but World's Finest and the second Batman Team-Ups, plus JLofA 3 are ones I was looking forward to/hoping for.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBrady
Also, current orders for the following SHOWCASE PRESENTS titles are cancelled. These titles will be resolicited at a later date:

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: CAPTAIN CARROT VOL. 1 (JUN070217)

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE GREAT DISASTER FEATURING THE ATOMIC KNIGHTS AND HERCULES VOL. 1 (JUL070210).

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE SUICIDE SQUAD VOL. 1 (AUG070283)

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER VILLAINS VOL. 1 TP (AUG070284)

• SHOWCASE PRESENTS: JONAH HEX VOL. 2 (SEP070223)
I remember reading awhile ago that there were royalty issues that prevented Showcase Presents from including more recent material. I think the cut off was in the mid-70s. It looks like maybe DC thought they had licked the issue, but now had to cancel the above books when they discovered they hadn't. Now they're rushing to substitute books with older material.

Bummer. I was definitely looking forward to Suicide Squad.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Muppety Odin

Well crap.

I was looking forward to getting my hands on the Captain Carrot, SSOSV and Suicide Squad editions.

Oh well...my wallet gets a temporary reprieve now
Old 08-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Flicker

Oh, bloody hell. I wanted more Jonah Hex.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
BV72

I wait only for the House of Mystery showcase...
No vol 3 ?

BV72 who wants House of Mystery vol 3.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
grphxkindaguy

Thumbs down

its unfortunate they cancelled the Jonah Hex and Suicide Squad editions.

They're really wonderful stories (I already own the originals) that everyone shoud have the opportunity to read...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
Aaron

As much as I enjoyed Captain Carrot and Suicide Squad, those books are easily found in quarter bins everywhere. I'd much rather they continue to aggressively reprint their Silver Age material, especially the rarer stuff. So I'm not at all bothered by this.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #13
newfoundma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
As much as I enjoyed Captain Carrot and Suicide Squad, those books are easily found in quarter bins everywhere. I'd much rather they continue to aggressively reprint their Silver Age material, especially the rarer stuff. So I'm not at all bothered by this.

I was really looking forward to the Suicide Squad. I was too young to read when they were first out, and from the way people talk about it, it is one of DC's most amazing books. Ever. I am sure I can find odd issues here and there, but I really wanted to read a huge chunk of it in order. :-/ Hopefully they will solicit these later. Bumcity.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #14
80Pork

Quote:

Well, that actually is a good point. I had about half of the Captain Carrot series from when I was a kid, and I have managed to find almost all the others at cons, ranging from ten to fifty cents.

Same with Suicide Squad...every issue I have I have gotten out of cheap boxes from comic stores or conventions...around a quarter or fifty cents each.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
Kamandi2

I'm happy to see the additions but I'm really disappointed to see SSOSV and Great Disaster taken off the schedule.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #16
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfoundma
I was really looking forward to the Suicide Squad. I was too young to read when they were first out, and from the way people talk about it, it is one of DC's most amazing books. Ever. I am sure I can find odd issues here and there, but I really wanted to read a huge chunk of it in order. :-/ Hopefully they will solicit these later. Bumcity.

You might want to try and read the first 6 issues or so. It was a good series, but not as good as you might have been told, at least IMHO. Novel concept, especially for the time, and a fun rotating cast and strong supporting cast. A highlight of the Post-Crisis DCU, definitely, but it was truly just a gem among many gems from that time. "Most amazing books, ever?" I think you might be disappointed then.

Aaron
Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #17
bluebird

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

I remember thinking that the Suicide Squad one was too good to be true, and well, I guess it is. But for God' s sake, if you're not going to Showcase it, at LEAST trade collect it. DC's trade decisions seem completely insane to me. (EVERYTHING they currently publish, no matter how widely despised or how poorly it sells, gets a trade, whereas some of their best-loved and most influential and sure to be a hit with a new generation series have yet to be collected...including Suicide Squad and JLI, two books which continue to inform pretty much the whole DCU line...can you imagine how these would have sold a few years ago, when newer readers were like Booster Gold? Max Lord? Slipknot? Captain Boomerang? Who the hell are all these people, and where can I read more about them?)

I don't understand what is meant by "royalty issues." Is it that they have to pay royalty issues or what?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #18
bluebird

Quote:

I can never find Suicide Squads in back issue bins. I eventually found all the old JLI/JLEs that way, and am, like, halfway through finding All-Star Squadron/Young ALl-Stars (so hurry up with THOSE trades DC, or you'll lose a sale!), but I've found all of four Suicide Squads in the past six year or so.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #19
SpyGuy

Quote:

It must be nice to still have quarter bins. Most bins I've seen for the past few years (especially with '70s and '80s material in them) are dollar to two-dollar bins.

As for the cancellations, it does seem that the royalty payment issue is probably the reason. I'm still hoping, however, that SUICIDE SQUAD and SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS will eventually be collected into trade paperbacks so that I can enjoy them in color instead of cheaply produced black-and-white.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #20
Mark Thorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV72
I wait only for the House of Mystery showcase...
No vol 3 ?

BV72 who wants House of Mystery vol 3.

Me too. And volume ones of Ghosts & Witching Hour.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #21
JackHarkness

Thumbs down

If only there were a comics news site staffed with journalists who could GET SOME FRAKKING ANSWERS from DC about this.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #22
khuxford

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHarkness
If only there were a comics news site staffed with journalists who could GET SOME FRAKKING ANSWERS from DC about this.

You're assuming the question wasn't asked just without an answer being provided.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #23
JackHarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuxford
You're assuming the question wasn't asked just without an answer being provided.

It's a pretty safe conclusion to make about a regurgitated press release with zero reporting.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #24
80Pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyGuy
It must be nice to still have quarter bins. Most bins I've seen for the past few years (especially with '70s and '80s material in them) are dollar to two-dollar bins.

Really? Wow. I've been pretty lucky finding stuff around that era in cheap bins. There are usually a few dealers at Dragon*Con in Atlanta every year that sell comis for fifty cents or 5 for $2.00, where I can find a lot of 70s and 80s Marvel and DC stuff (tons of issues of Marvel Team Up, Marvel Two In One, DC Comics Presents, Power Man & Iron Fist, Justice League of America, The Brave & The Bold, Avengers, etc.). Some of those same dealers and more with the same or better deals are at Heroes Con in Charlotte, too.

There's a store in Hampton, VA called Heroes & Villains and the owner usually has some quarter, fifty cents, or dollar boxes. He has a big sale once a year with dozens of quater and ten cent boxes also.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #25
Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird
I don't understand what is meant by "royalty issues." Is it that they have to pay royalty issues or what?

According to DC collected editions editor Bob Greenberger:

"DC pays a royalty based on a percentage of the cover price to writers, pencillers,and inkers to all material published prior to 1976 and after 1997. For the period in between, the vouchers that were in use called for a set reprint fee to be paid. In some cases, the amount of contractually obligated reprint fees makes the budget for a proposed collection unprofitable. In those cases, DC will either scrap the project or ask the talent involved to waive the reprint fee in lieu of the standard royalty arrangement. If the parties agree, then everyone benefits."

Hence the last Showcase Present Jonah Hex volume ending at 1975, with non-Hex stories as filler. Hopefully DC will eventually work this out for the Suicide Squad volume at least.