Text Only  |  Skip Navigation  | help
Birmingham City Council
Home | A-Z index | What's new? | What's on? | Jobs | Contact us   
Business and Economy Community and Living Education and Learning Environment and Planning Health and Social Care Leisure and Tourism Transport and Streets Your Council
Search:
or try our advanced search
Archaeology
 
 You are in:  Environment and Planning  |  Archaeology  |  Scheduled Monuments 
Printer Friendly

Archaeology
Birmingham's Scheduled Ancient Monuments
 

A Scheduled Ancient Monument is an archaeological site that is considered to be nationally important and is included on a list of sites compiled by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.

Scheduled Ancient Monuments are protected by law and nothing can be done to them without the Secretary of State's permission.

There are currently 13 Scheduled Ancient Monuments in the city.

  Birmingham's Scheduled Ancient Monuments
  • Sutton Park
  • Woodlands Park Prehistoric Burnt Mounds
  • Fox Hollies Prehistoric Burnt Mounds
  • Moseley Bog Prehistoric Burnt Mounds
  • Peddimore Hall
  • Kents Moat
  • Gannow Green Moat
  • Kingstanding Mound
  • Weoley Castle
  • Birmingham's Roman Fort (Metchley)
  • Hawkesley Farm Moat
  • Perry Bridge
  • Guillotine Lock

  •  Sutton Park
      Established as a deer park in the 12th century. The boundary ditch and internal subdivisions of the deer park survive, together with older remains including Bronze Age burnt mounds and a Roman road built in the 1st century AD to join the Roman fort at Metchley with the fort at Wall near Lichfield. There are also fishponds, millpools, wood boundaries, a former racecourse and the remains of military training.

    An interpretation scheme explaining the archaeology of Sutton Park consists of interpretation panels, site markers, a leaflet and an education pack. Find out more about Sutton Park in prehistoric, Roman and medieval times

    Sutton Park - Deer  Park Boundary
    Sutton Park - Deer Park Boundary
     


    Woodlands Park Prehistoric Burnt Mounds
     

    Located off Woodlands Park Road, Northfield. Two Bronze Age burnt mounds visible as
    layers of heat-shattered stones in the stream bank on each side of Woodlands Park Road.
    On public open space.

    The larger of the two sites consists of a layer of burnt stones and charcoal about 60m long on
    the south bank of the stream. Towards the east end of the mound, the section visible in the stream bank mound suggests that it is dipping into a former stream bed. The south-east edge of the mound was recorded in a manhole pit, showing that the mound extends 7.5m south of the present stream line. The banks of stream were cut back in December 1999, revealing the burnt mound in section on the north bank. Its total length was 20m and it was up to 500mm thick. Charcoal taken from stream bank section in 1982 produced a radiocarbon date of about 1200 BC.

    The smaller site is a layer of burnt stones and charcoal 3m long and up to 0.15m thick, on
    the north bank of the stream. The mound is not visible in trenches 1m away from the
    stream's opposite bank therefore it is either under the north bank of the stream or has been
    largely washed away by the stream.



      Fox Hollies Park Prehistoric Burnt Mound
     
    Located off Gospel Lane on public open space. This consists of a low mound measuring approximately 14m long, 9m wide and 20- 30cm high, Grass growing on it is parched in very dry weather. Occasional erosion holes shown that it consists of gritty black soil with small heat shattered stones.

    A small excavation revealed burnt stones over grey clay A geophysical survey of the area surrounding the burnt mound revealed other anomalies beyond it, interpreted as hearths, concentrations of stones, possible troughs and old stream courses.


    Moseley Bog Prehistoric Burnt Mounds  
       

    Located off Pensby Close. Two Bronze Age burnt mounds, one visible as a low mound and the other as heat-shattered stones in the stream bank. There is an interpretation panel on a walkway near the site.

    Download PDF Archaeology In Moseley Bog (19Kb) PDF



    Moseley Bog Burnt Mound Stones
    Moseley Bog Burnt Mound Stones
     


    Peddimore Hall
     

    Located off Peddimore Lane, Sutton Coldfield:
    A double moat built in the 13th century to surround a timber building, accompanied by ridge and furrow which is the remains of medieval cultivation around it. Private property but visible from a nearby public footpath.

    The double moat encloses a rectangular area containing Peddimore Hall and its garden. Peddimore was a manor in 1281 and a chapel here was licensed for divine service in 1360. The owners of Peddimore Hall were allowed by the Earl of Warwick to enclose and improve waste in 1288. The present Peddimore Hall is a two-storey double-pile building, in brick with sandstone dressings. It dates to the middle of the 17th century but may incorporate an earlier structure.

    Peddimore Hall
    Peddimore Hall














    Kents Moat
     

    Sheldon Heath Road, to the east of the city. Kent's Moat, a now dry sub-rectangular moat, measures 98m by 85m. The arms of the moat, with sloping sides and flat-bottomed, average 11m wide and 1.3m deep. The original water supply to the moat cannot now be determined.

    The moat is under turf and two-storey blocks of flats have been built within the interior blocks of flats have been built upon the island with an access causeway over the NE arm. The first manor house was built at the beginning of the 13th century; this, together with its size, suggests that it was the more important of the two contemporary manor houses of Sheldon(the other was Sheldon Hall). It was extensively rebuilt in the 14th century, further modified and went out of use in the 15th century.


    Kents Moat
    Kents Moat
     
    In the 15th century it was property of the Earl of Kent. Excavations in 1959 consisted of trenches across moat and on the moat platform, finding wall foundations and decorated floor tiles. Excavations in 1964 before construction of houses inside the moated area revealed occupation on the site from the 12th or 13th to the 15th century. Remains of timber buildings, interpreted as hall, solar and kitchen, and cobbled yards were found. Some of the structures had tiled roofs, tiled floors and stained glass windows.


    Gannow Green Moat
     

    Off Devon Road, Frankley. The moat was originally filled by a stream running into the River Rea, and it was lined with clay to hold water. Archaeological excavations in the 1960s revealed details about the site.

    A well-built sandstone wall ran along the edge of the moat. When the moat was constructed,
    the earth dug out of it was piled up inside it to make a level surface to build on. Under this,
    the 13th-century ground surface contained pollen that showed that there were alder, hazel
    and oak trees around the site at this time, and fields in which cereals were grown. The
    buildings surrounded by the moat would have been timber-framed but had tiled roofs. One of
    them had a hearth constructed of roof tiles laid on edge to withstand the heat.

    There were two fishponds to the east of the moat, around Devon Road and Kent Road, and
    one to the west, around Lismore Close. As well as providing an important part of the diet,
    fishponds were also a status symbol. Although all the fishponds are now covered by houses,
    the dam of the western fishpond can still be seen alongside Mull Close. The dam was
    constructed across the original course of the River Rea, which was diverted to its present
    course.

    An interpretation panel has been erected on the site as part of the River Rea Heritage Trail www.riverreatrail.org.uk



    Kingstanding Mound
     



    Kingstanding Road on public open space.

    This small little artificial mound is where King Charles I is said to have stood when he harangued the troops he brought out of Shropshire at the beginning of the Civil War, but it is more likely to be a prehistoric burial mound or barrow. It is about 20m in diameter and up to 1.25 m high.


    Kingstanding Mound
    Kingstanding Mound
     


    Weoley Castle
     

    Weoley Castle Alwold Road. The excavated remains of a fortified manor house dating from the 13th century. Not currently accessible for safety reasons.



    Birmingham's Roman Fortort
     

    Birmingham's Roman Fort (Metchley), off Vincent Drive, Edgbaston. One corner of the defences has been reconstructed and much new information about the site has been obtained by archaeological excavations over the past few years.

    The scheduled monument is on private land but is crossed by a footpath which the public are allowed to use.



    Hawkesley Farm Moat
     


    Munslow Grove, Longbridge, south Birmingham. Part of the moat is now a pond and part is visible as a large dry ditch. Excavations in 1959 showed that the moat surrounded timber buildings, hearths and ovens dating from the 13th to 15th centuries. There is an information panel about the site on the edge of the moat.

    Download PDF   Hawkesley Farm Moated Site - a self-guided walk (18Kb) PDF

    Hawkesley Farm Moat
    Hawkesley Farm Moat
     


    Perry Bridge
     

    Walsall Road. An 18th century stone packhorse bridge over the River Tame. This is a red sandstone bridge of 4 arches over the River Tame, constructed in a pack horse style. It is probably the bridge built by order of the Staffordshire Quarter Sessions, held in 1709, to take the place of a `Wood horse bridge'.

    It has a span of about 50' (15m). It is about 15' wide (4m) and its approach is 21' (6m) wide. The bridge has parapets each side, about 3' (0.914m) high. The middle arches take the main flow and there are three V-shaped cutwaters rising to the full height of the parapet to give refuges. There has been a bridge here since Roman times, as this was the exact spot where Ryknild Street crossed the River Tame.


    Perry Bridge
    Perry Bridge
     


    Guillotine Lock
     

    Lifford Lane. Vertical lock gates built between the Stratford and Worcester Canals at the end of the 18th century.

    This pair of guillotine gates near the junction of Stratford on Avon Canal with the Worcester and Birmingham Canal was devised to stop water flowing from one canal company's territory to another, regardless of which side was higher. They symbolise the rivalry between canal companies and their concern for the conservation of their own water supplies. The existing gates are probably 19th century in date, but the lock arrangement may date from the opening of this part of the canal in 1796 and they may incorporate late 18th century elements. Each lock consists of a brick-lined stone-dressed stop lock with a cast iron guillotine gate framework.

    A winched counterweight chain mechanism to the guillotine gate runs in a slightly raked cast iron girder frame. The chain passes through a block on the gate and up over 2 wheels carried on one side out and down to the winch, and on the other out over a wheel supported by an elegant cast iron column before sinking with a counterweight into the post.

    Guillotine Lock
    Guillotine Lock
     
    This particular cast-iron design of guillotine gates is probably unique. There were three buildings associated with the lock, all of which have been demolished. On the north bank were the lock-keeper's house and a putative stable. Fragments of the latter survive above ground but there is no trace of the other former buildings.


    Related Links
    Information about external links on birmingham.gov.uk
    Archaeology Main Page
    Contact Birminghams Planning Archaeologist
     
    Last updated - Wednesday 18 July 2007 Return to Top | Printer Friendly