The White City site takes its name from the complex of white pavilions erected for the Franco-British exhibition in Wood Lane in 1908.
On the site itself stood the stadium for the 1908 Olympics. It was later turned over to greyhound racing before the BBC acquired it in the mid-1980s. The first BBC building, now known as White City One, opened in 1990 and houses both administration and programme departments.
The opening of the BBC Media Village in 2004 marked the second phase of development at the BBC White City site. Its two main buildings are the Broadcast Centre, offering digital television broadcast facilities, and the Media Centre, which provides office accommodation for BBC staff. The development also includes shops and cafes centred around a main landscaped public boulevard and is intended to support urban regeneration, for the benefit of both staff and local residents