The Liberty Bell's
Independence Hall in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, initially had two bells, the famous Liberty Bell, which cracked when it rang
on Washington's birthday in 1846, and a twin bell known as the "Sister Bell,"
which was attached to the State House clock. This "Sister Bell," along with the
State House clock, was given to the Augustinians at Olde Saint Augustine's Church,
Philadelphia, in 1830, to be used in the church's recently completed tower. The
"Sister Bell" fell with the clock at the time of the burning of Saint
Augustine's Church by rioters in 1844 and after the fire was recast. It is now enshrined
in the Falvey Memorial Library on the campus of Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania.
and/or photographs on these pages are not to be republished or reproduced in any format
without written consent of Villanova University Archives, Villanova Pennsylvania.
All rights are reserved