The force is with him
qui-gonline main

A-J | K-P | Q-Z

What's New


qui-gonlinesm.gif (4662 bytes)

If I Don't Catch You
Part 17-22

  By Julie

Catagory: AU TPM, character depth, adventure and some angst.
Rated: PG for a little violence
Spoilers: TPM and very minor ones for JA 1-9.
Summary: Starts with "expanded and missing scenes" from TPM, but becomes an alternate universe featuring Qui-gon and Obi-wan's struggle for Anakin's right to be trained as a Jedi. :)
Disclaimer: Anakin, Obi-Wan, & Qui-Gon, etc. belong to George Lucas. I'm just playing.
Feedback: Yes! It always improves fanfic!

Thoughts are indicated like /this/.


When Qui-gon and Obi-wan returned to their ship, they were not surprised to learn that Anakin had evaded capture. They took off to join the other two Jedi vessels in orbit.

The leader of the third team, Master Stiaw contacted them first. "We are plotting his possible hyperspace vectors now."

Master Deyonna called in from the second ship. "We should spilt up to cover as many of the locations as quickly as we can."

"We agree." Obi-wan answered for himself and Master Qui-gon.

"Also, we should simply disable his ship this time." Master Stiaw said over the ship's com.

"It would take him by surprise." Master Deyonna agreed.

"However, he will certainly attempt to steal a ship once he discovers his error." Obi-wan pointed out.

"I have a list of systems coming through, transmitting now." Master Stiaw told them.

Obi-wan and Qui-gon examined the list. It was a little long due to the fact that they were so close to the Core. Obi-wan looked over at his former teacher for guidance.

"Which is he going to?" he asked.

Qui-gon finished looking at the names and sat back in the co-pilots chair. He closed his eyes and immersed himself in the Force. It was an ability that Obi-wan had not fully learned yet and would not conquer for a few more years.

"Yaw-sihtog." Qui-gon answered.

Obi-wan relayed their choice to the other six Jedi. Master Stiaw decided that his team would go to Eno Gnorw and Master Deyonna chose Tidessim. They all bid each other farewell and left to their first destinations.

"If we don't catch him first..." Qui-gon began saying.

"I know." Obi-wan replied.

***********

Anakin Skywalker was exhilarated. /Ha! Did those Jedi really think they could out fly me?/ He grinned smugly at the starlines of hyperspace outside of the cockpit window. He flexed his bruised hand slowly, relieved that there were no permanent injuries. A faint, repetitive beeping sound started inside of his pack.

"Alright Kaely." Anakin said as he opened the bag. He started to move the datacards around searching for her. The beeping turned into a shrill squeak.

"What?" Anakin said. "I'm trying!" He removed some of the datacards and shoved his hand down to the bottom and quickly pulled it back out when K-LE1 pinched his hand with her little grasping arm.

"HEY! What'd you do that for?!" he glared at the tiny droid hidden somewhere in the dark bag. "I'm doing the best I can!"

He grabbed the pale green droid and set her on the computer console. Kaely began to scold him savagely.

"Quit fussing, you're not hurt, Little Miss Impatient. I didn't even scratch your paint job." Anakin shoved the datacards back in the bag hastily. Kaely continued to titter angrily at him.

"If you aren't nice," he warned. "I won't teach you to fly."

Instantly she became quiet. He knew how much she loved new parts and upgrades. He closed the pack and picked her up. "You were very brave against that big droid, Kaely."

Kaely flashed her eyes at him in disbelief.

"No really," he said. "I'm very proud of you!"

She happily peeped out a little tune like a bird in response to his praise. Anakin smiled down at the small droid in his hand as he walked out of the cockpit and into the common room. He placed her on the table and began to pull open drawers and compartments. "Let's see what we've got here." he murmured aloud. "I need these coils, hmmm and this, no it's too big." He was distracted by an annoying humming sound. Anakin looked in the direction of the noise.

Kaely was wheeling around as fast as she could in circles in the middle of the table.

"Kaely!" Anakin sputtered. "Stop that!"

The little droid engaged her brakes and slid right off onto the floor. Anakin got up and walked over to her in exasperation. "I can't take my eyes off you for a minute!" he said looking down at her. "Do I have to order you to sit still?"

Her only response was to squawk at him. "I don't care if you are bored or whatever. You'll wear your wheels down and I don't want to have to keep replacing them all the... ACK! There's skid marks on the table top!"

Anakin picked Kaely up. "Look what you did!" he said indignantly.

Kaely scanned the table with her yellow eyes and then looked up at him and whistled guilelessly.

Anakin sighed. He put Kaely back down on the table. "Don't move." he insisted.

He returned to the cabinets and finished collecting the parts he needed and grabbed his toolbox. He sat down on the old bench and began to assemble tiny repulsor lifts. As he worked K-LE1 swiveled her eyes and examined the parts he had placed by her. She watched as her master put on his magnifying goggles. When she was sure he wasn't looking Kaely silently opened one of her compartments and extended her tiny grasping arm. She lifted it up and reached into the box far above her and picked up a tiny welder. Kaely looked at it curiously and set in quietly in front of her. Slowly she stretched her arm as far as it would go to grab more objects out of the toolbox.

Anakin looked up in surprise when his hand failed to pick up the pliers he knew were in his toolbox. He realized suddenly that Kaely was too quiet. /That's a bad sign./ Snagging his goggles off he looked down at the now empty box and pile of tools in front of his droid. Kaely quickly dropped what she was examining and began to look around the room innocently.

"I ain't falling for it." Anakin told her.

*************

Anakin walked briskly long the top of a tall stone wall. It was a beautiful day and he'd just earned a lot of money. His buyer had been very pleased with the datacards Anakin had stolen. /These jobs aren't half as bad as I thought they'd be./ It was a very convenient arrangement. His clients didn't want anyone to know who they were and they didn't want to know who they were hiring. They only wanted something brought to them. Of course, Anakin always checked them out. They only thought they were anonymous. /I'm sure Dr. Dabton feels a bit guilty paying me to steal the evidence he needs to use in court to bring down Intov Mechanic Company for copyright fraud. But he'll get over it. I wonder what they'd all think if they knew they hired a kid who is just about to turn thirteen?/

"Kaely, slow down." Anakin called to his little droid. Kaely was having a blast. She swooped and glided in the air around him. He could have caught a public ground transport back to his ship, but he wanted Kaely to have a chance to practice flying more. She sang and whistled bird calls that she heard. They startled a large bird resting on top of the wall and Kaely started to chase it.

"No." Anakin ordered. "Leave it alone."

But K-LE1 didn't listen. She flew erratically around the hapless bird as it snapped at her with its beak. Kaely squealed in surprise when she found herself being pulled backwards. Anakin calmly plucked his disobedient droid out of the air with the Force. He held her suspended in front of him.

"When I say no," he began lecturing and then snatched her quickly and jumped off the wall as a blaster bolt streaked past where he had just stood. Kaely shrieked in protest as Anakin stuffed her in his pocket. "Quiet." he whispered and fled.

**************

Anakin was sweating, his face was red and haggard as though he'd just ran a marathon. And in a way, he had.

"This," he gasped. "has GOT to STOP!"

Everywhere he went those droids followed. /How do they keep finding me?/ They always tried to capture him. They had tried throwing nets, darts, gas bombs, but they had never shot at him before. Obviously, whoever kept sending them had decided that it didn't matter anymore whether they brought Anakin back uninjured. Or in one piece.

/This is bad./ Anakin thought. A sharp pain began in his head and quickly spread to engulf his entire body. For a moment he thought he'd been shot, until he saw an all too familiar glow begin to emit through his skin and clothes. /Oh, no. Not this, not now!/ Panicking, he pulled out Kaely. "Go to the ship, fast." he told her through his gritted teeth. He watched her speed away and leaped to avoid three more blaster shots.

Without warning the light surrounding Anakin expanded and burst around him. The shockwave violently threw all five droids to the ground. Their metal bodies and limbs melted and shattered like glass. Anakin collapsed to the ground.

The sound of approaching footsteps brought him back to his senses. Anakin looked up to see Master Qui-gon and Obi-wan standing over him. Qui-gon knelt beside him and reached out his hand, "Will you let us help you now?"

*****************

Part 18 Thoughts are indicated like /this/. ***********************************

Anakin looked up at them with wild eyes. His head was pounding and he was breathing very heavily. He lay flat on his back in the middle of a slightly scorched circle on the road. His blue eyes opened and closed very slowly.

"Can you hear me?" Qui-gon asked. /Please answer me, Ani./ Anakin was silent and didn't move.

Obi-wan moved to put his arms under Anakin's shoulders to lift him up. He jerked back as a finger of electricity arced from Anakin and shocked him.

"What was that!" Obi-wan looked down at the boy in surprise.

"No.." Anakin mumbled. "You'll..."

"We'll what, Ani?" Qui-gon asked urgently.

"Be hurt..don't." He struggled to lift his hand and waved it at the Jedi, trying to indicate that they should move back. His labored breathing increased. Anakin squeezed his eyes shut in pain.

"We can stop the pain." Qui-gon tried to tell Anakin. /Why won't he let us help?/ he thought in confusion.

A golden glow began to seep through Anakin's skin and shine through his clothes. It would have appeared beautiful if not for the look of agony on the boy's face.

"Qui-gon move back." Obi-wan said in alarm. He looked at the remains of the strange battle droids.

"He needs help." Qui-gon argued.

"This is too dangerous, we must get out of the way!" Obi-wan insisted. /Why doesn't he sense it?/ Obi-wan thought in frustration.

"No." Qui-gon refused to budge.

Obi-wan was torn. As evidenced by the destroyed droids around them, Anakin's light was a very bad thing. /Sometimes, I wonder if I must save Qui-gon from himself./ Resigned to their fate, he braced himself and reached out his hand. Obi-wan stood ready to grab his former master out of the way.

"Move!" Anakin yelled.

Qui-gon leaped backward as the light clinging to Anakin increased and expanded to churn in the air around him. White and yellow sparks danced in the air and further burnt the ground. It began to overload the two Jedi's senses. Anakin was perfectly still on the pavement as the Force battered at him. The Jedi were puzzled that the Force could be so painful.

Master Qui-gon closed his eyes and probed the air around Anakin. Obi- wan looked at him carefully as Qui-gon used the Force to slow down some of the particles of light. Slowly at first, Obi-wan also began making the air heavy and thick to slow the wild luminescence.

Anakin strained to stop the volcano in his head. He could feel the Jedi's efforts, but didn't believe they would be enough. /Don't they know that they'll... NO! I won't let them./ With a mighty surge of the Force, Anakin flooded himself with power and froze the light. for a moment the pain nearly drove him mad, but then he felt Qui- gon's quiet presence and Obi-wan's determination. Steadily, Anakin snuffed each spark out. He fell into blissful unconsciousness.

**************

Anakin awakened in one of the medical centers on Yaw-sihtog. Master Qui-gon and Obi-wan stood on either side of the bed. They didn't bother greeting him or asking how he felt. They immediately went right to interrogating him.

"You must talk to us!" Obi-wan demanded.

"No!"

"We need to know..."

Anakin interrupted. "No, you don't. It won't help!"

"Anakin!" Master Qui-gon said severely. "Obi-wan is right."

Anakin sat up and glared at them. He seemed to be weighing whether it would be worth it or not. The Jedi returned both gave him identical looks of disappointment. Anakin slammed his fists into the soft cushions in frustration. He tried to get up.

"Ani, be still." Qui-gon ordered and gently pushed Anakin back.

"You will have to tell us eventually." Obi-wan told him. "You may as well start now."

"Fine." Anakin answered begrudgingly.

"Good." Qui-gon said.

"What do you want to know first?"

"What in space was that light?" Obi-wan asked shortly.

"I don't know." Anakin spoke saucily.

"Anakin." Qui-gon warned.

He sighed. "I've always fought it. In the beginning, the glowing only started when I meditated." Anakin looked at Qui-gon. "You saw me do it once."

"When?" Obi-wan asked.

"On Queen Amidala's ship, while we were traveling back to Naboo." Qui- gon answered. He looked over at Anakin. "Does it still cause you pain?"

"Yes, it often hurt at first, so I just didn't meditate. But later it would occur while I was sleeping and the pain would wake me. Somehow, I guess I learned to stop the pain or maybe I just got used to it. I don't know."

Obi-wan poured a glass of water and held it out to Anakin. The boy's hand shook badly as he tried to reach for it. "The pirates rarely saw it happen."

"What happened?" Qui-gon asked quietly.

"I suppose you know by now that the Diputs pirate gang kept me." Anakin stated. "The other kids were smart. They didn't use the Force to fight them off like I did. So, the pirates thought that they were all just regular kids. They took them all to the cargo hold and sold them as slaves. The pirates were S'sorg. You know, those big hulking people with insect-like heads from Sknits. They don't think twice about selling kids as slaves. S'sorg think that all other races in the galaxy are inferior. But, they decided it would be more profitable to keep me."

Obi-wan and Qui-gon looked at each other as Anakin paused to try to catch his breath. They hadn't known that. None of the other children had said anything about seeing Anakin using the Force. Most of them had never even noticed the boy as he traveled with them. They hadn't described their attackers very well, either. It had made it very difficult for the Jedi to find them, especially since they had never discovered the name of the pirate group.

"The pirates used you to help them steal things." Obi-wan surmised.

Anakin nodded. "You know the drill, if I refused they threatened to beat me to death. About what I expected. I was able to draw the line at opening locks and the really bad stuff. They had only seen me lift things, so I let them believe that's all I could do. Until they saw me glow once. Fortunately, they couldn't ever find any use for it. Not that they didn't try."

"This, glowing, it has become much worse now?" Obi-wan inquired softly.

"Yeah." Anakin hung his head. His face contorted with emotion. Guilt and disgust were the chief feelings that the Jedi could sense emanating from the boy.

"It happened really bad while we were landing in a hanger of a planet I don't know the name of. The pirates never told me where we were or where we were going. And except for when they needed me to move something, I was always confined to the ship."

Anakin paused again. Willfully, he worked up the courage to continue. Master Qui-gon and Obi-wan waited silently. They did not want to rush him or make this anymore difficult for him. The boy's face relaxed a little and he took a deep breath.

"I had little warning before I saw the glow. I was a bit surprised that it was starting while I was awake and not meditating, but then the pain began. I think I passed out because the next thing I remember is lying in a crater."

Anakin tried to drink from his glass and nearly dropped it. Qui-gon reached out to help him and the boy swallowed the cool water greedily. They knew that he was reluctant to resume his explanation. Obi-wan couldn't help but give him a stern look. Anakin frowned, but decided it would be better to keep talking.

"The first thing I noticed was I had no clothes on and I was sun burnt all over." Anakin described. "I was confused to find I still had hair on my head, even though it was singed. When I climbed out of the crater I saw that the ship, hanger and all twenty-seven pirates were gone."

"I had totally incinerated them."

He waited for their reaction. Qui-gon's eyes widened slightly and Obi-wan sat back a little, but neither spoke nor offered any sign of comfort or disgust. Anakin pressed on.

"I stole some clothes, stole a ship, broke into the pirates' money and searched for a crack in the galaxy to hide in. I knew I had to get as far away from the populated worlds as I could. I eventually made it to a small, uninhabited moon in an unsettled system."

Finally, the Jedi began to talk. "And then it happened again." Obi- wan said as a statement not a question.

Anakin nodded. "I had several more bad episodes while I was there. It took I think a year to learn shut it off."

"So now you can control it?" Master Qui-gon asked.

"Sorta, I thought I could at least suppress it. Obviously, I was wrong. So, you see, going to *Coruscant* would be a very bad idea."

*****************

Part 19 Thoughts are indicated like /this/. ***********************************

Anakin crossed his arms in front of him and boldly stated. "I'd rather not talk anymore." He looked at Master Qui-gon and Obi-wan meaningfully. It was a clear indication that he would answer no more questions.

Qui-gon nodded. "Very well. You must rest now. We will take you to Coruscant after the healers release you."

"I really don't need to stay here." Anakin insisted.

"Ani," Obi-wan said. "You were unconscious and in severe pain..."

"Am I bleeding or missing limbs?" Anakin asked sarcastically.

"You passed out." Obi-wan reminded him.

"I'm fine now!"

"Cease the argument." Master Qui-gon ordered.

The command made Anakin shut his mouth with a frown. Obi-wan, however, looked at his former master with one raised eyebrow and a smirk. Qui-gon pretended not to notice.

"Perhaps we should be going." Master Qui-gon said slowly and deliberately. Obi-wan looked at him cautiously and glanced at the boy. Anakin didn't seem to notice, he was too busy slouching and scowling.

"Can you walk?" Obi-wan asked Anakin suddenly.

"Yeah." Anakin drawled.

Qui-gon reached out a hand to help him up, but the boy refused it. Quickly, the three of them snuck out of the building.

***********

"Quicker." Obi-wan told Anakin as they jogged down the street.

"Why don't we just take a public transport then?" Anakin asked in confusion.

"Too dangerous," Was Qui-gon's reply.

Anakin looked at him intently. It finally dawned on him that they were both acting strangely. Tenatively, he expanded his range of perception with the Force. A feeling of disquiet hung in the air. It had no direction, yet it felt near. He sensed no danger, but felt threatened just the same.

"What's wrong?" the boy asked them.

"Good afternoon."

The two Jedi stopped short at the voice. Anakin was startled when he realized that he could not sense who was speaking or where they were. He was pretty sure that the Jedi couldn't either. They had turned their backs to him and each scanned the area with the Force.

"I do hope that you won't be too disappointed when I relieve you of your young charge." the mysterious voice said. It wasn't very deep, nor too high and Anakin was hard pressed to guess at whether it was a man, woman, or alien speaking.

"It's from a comlink." Master Qui-gon told him.

"Yes," the voice said. "I'm terribly sorry that I can't be with you, but my associates will keep you company."

Several large battle-style droids appeared at either end of the street and even a few were on the rooftops. Instantly, Qui-gon and Obi-wan ignited their lightsaber's in anticipation.

"Keep out of the way, Ani." Qui-gon ordered the boy.

"No problem," Anakin said jauntily. "I'm sure the two of you can handle these guys just fine." Instantly, he bolted and flipped over the three droids ahead of them and ran as fast as he could. The Jedi were surprised for only a moment before the droids began to close in on them. None of the droids turned to pursue the boy. Either they weren't very smart droids, or they had been ordered not to.

*********

Anakin stumbled into his ship. "Kaely!" he called, "Kaely!" He scanned the dimly lit interior in confusion. /It's oddly quiet in here./ Normally, K-LE1 would be singing a little song and playing with something when she was waiting for him to return from a job or meeting. It was in general a nuisance because she often got into things she knew she shouldn't. Like the time she opened every single ration package in the kitchen cabinet. And she rarely remembered to put away her "toys" when done. Yet there was nothing amiss that he could see. /Did she get lost on the way back here?/ Anakin thought worriedly.

K-LE1 came flying from the cockpit and zoomed around his face anxiously. She beeped and whistled loudly in a panic.

"What's wrong." Anakin was puzzled and reached out his senses to probe the ship with the Force. He sensed no danger. /I wish I knew how to make an interpreter's voice box small enough for Kaely. It will probably be decades before its possible./ Anakin thought.

"Quiet." he told the small droid that was buzzing in annoyance. "I said quiet." he repeated. /Quiet. That's it! It's too quiet in here!/

"Kaely, why haven't you started the pre-flight sequence?" he looked at his tiny green droid in surprise and disapproval.

Kaely hovered and gave a little wail as she led her master to the cockpit. Anakin sat down in the pilot's seat and examined the ship's readings and tried to activate the engines. Several of the screens refused to display and warning lights were lit all over the board. A rumble and low whine was the ship's only response before quitting. The computer flashed a error message at him. Anakin looked down in shock.

"What have those Jedi done to my ship!" Anakin yelled in exasperation. He got down on his knees and franticly began pulling off the front panels of the control board. He looked around inside, hoping to see what had been tampered with.

"I bet this was Obi-wan's idea." he spat in disgust. Anakin pulled and tugged at the mess of colorful wires. He examined each one in turn for breaks or disconnections. He felt his frustration increase and his anger begin to rise in earnest.

Kaely whistled at him. He half turned to see her slowly dragging his heavy toolbox into the cockpit. Her poor little grasping arm looked as if it was about to be pulled out of its compartment. Hastily, Anakin slid the box the rest of the way with the Force. He flung it open and began grabbing tools.

"How *dare* they touch my ship!" He pounded the deck plates in fury with his already sore fists.

Kaely began to peep at him derisively. She flashed her yellow eyes and flew around to hover in his way. She scolded him loudly for losing his temper.

"Getta away!" Anakin bellowed at her.

Kaely reversed her tiny repulsor lift engines away from him in surprise. She thunked lightly against the metal wall with a wail. Whimpering, she skyrocketed out of the cockpit. Anakin put his head in his hands and sighed. ************

"Kaely?" Anakin whispered. "I'm sorry Kaely. Don't cry. Come out please."

K-LE1 was very stubborn and obviously wasn't going to come out. /I've got to remember that she is still a baby. She does her best./ He hunted through the small ship's main room and sleeping cabin. His droid was so small she could be hiding literally anywhere in the ship. Especially now that she could fly. He'd played hide and seek games with her before, so he knew of several likely places. Petulantly, Anakin opened and searched the compartments, looked under the table and bench seat. He sifted through his clothes cabinet and sleeping bunk. He even checked the cold food preserver, though he couldn't imagine why she might try to hide in the ice.

"Please," he called aloud. "I need your help!"

Those were the words she wanted to hear. At once Kaely flipped open the top of the Ragus drink maker. She rose unsteadily out of the small mixing chamber dripping liquid on the console. She was covered in stains from the sweet drink's ingredients. Instead of a soft green, she was now orange.

Anakin looked at her aghast. "You're a mess. That stuff will become sticky when it dries and your parts will freeze up! It will take hours to clean you." he moaned.

Kaely swiveled her eyes in an attempt to look at herself in surprise. "Come on," Anakin told her. "We don't have time to waste." He quickly began to stuff a few essential tools and other items in his pack. Almost as an after thought, he grabbed some ration bars, too. "I can't figure out how to fix the ship right now. I don't have enough time. And besides, Master Qui-gon probably put a homing beacon on board somewhere just in case I did manage to get away."

Anakin looked in his belt pouch and counted how many credits he had. He opened the ship's hatch and jumped to the ground below. "We've got to find some other way to get off planet."

*************

The two Jedi ran through the hanger bays. Anakin had used the droids interference to his advantage. The Jedi easily dispatched them, but the fight delayed them long enough for Anakin to escape. They could sense that he was already on a ship and leaving the atmosphere.

"We will catch him." Qui-gon said. "He must have managed to make his ship fly despite your efforts."

"Yes, however he will undoubtedly be quite upset to learn that his hyperdrive is also inoperative." Obi-wan answered as they raced for their ship. They entered the hanger doorway and slid to a halt.

It was empty.

"Anakin stole our ship!" Obi-wan exclaimed aloud.

*****************

Part 20 Thoughts are indicated like /this/. ***********************************

"Not too fancy, but cozy just the same." Anakin Skywalker murmured aloud.

He admired the simple, but sleek Jedi ship. He wandered around the main room and peeked in the two cabins. Everything was austere and useful. /A lot like my ship./ Anakin thought. /But mine is smaller and filled with droid parts./ Kaely was in the cockpit arguing with the computer. It had required a little *convincing* before the ship released control to them. However it didn't have much in the way of security, and they were now cruising through hyperspace.

"You wouldn't know it at first glance, but this ship is pretty nice." Anakin commented to Kaely.

She wasn't able to fly at the moment. The Ragus drink and indeed become sticky and half her internal mechanisms were stuck. He carried her from the cockpit and began searching through the kitchenette compartments for something to clean her with. Anakin sat down at the main room's table and removed her outer hull to assess the damage.

Kaely waited with unusual patience as he cleaned the orange residue. He couldn't deactivate her because he needed her to test each appendage to be sure he got it all off. It was slow and tedious work. /Maybe this will help me be more patient, too./ he mused.

He smirked to himself. "So, do you like the Jedi ship?" he asked his droid. Kaely gave an affirmative trill. "I would've liked to have seen their faces when they saw the empty hanger! Ha!"

Anakin fiddled with a mild dissolvent and a tiny scouring stick. "You do manage to find the silliest places to hide." He shook his head as Kaely answered with a soft beep. "Don't hide in any food, drink, or anything else that can clog you up anymore, got that?"

He sobered for a moment in thought, but then grinned again. "At least I don't have to worry about them being angry. Okay, move your wheels" Kaely complied, but one was still stuck. "I don't really want them to be angry. But I just gotta be sure."

Kaely whistled encouragingly as Anakin unstuck the last wheel.

"I know that they don't understand why I'm being such a pain. It seems so easy to just go with them. But just because Master Qui-gon and Obi-wan are willing to help doesn't mean they can."

"Open all of your doors and extend just the arms." Anakin instructed her. "I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think going with them would only make things worse right now. They'd both just get in big trouble with the Jedi Council."

He shook his head mournfully. "And if I told them how I learned to do so much with the Force they'd lock me up for sure."

Kaely flashed her eyes at him in puzzlement. /She's sweet, but I know she has no idea what I'm talking about./ Anakin sighed.

"Now, fire off your special stuff." He watched as her magnetic grapple jammed and began cleaning it. "If things were different...," Anakin began saying. "The Jedi just don't know what to do with me. And if they can't handle me at my worst, then I'll just have to take care of myself alone."

Kaely gave an electronic sniff of indignation and would have pouted if she could. "Okay, with your help. Happy?" Anakin rolled his eyes at her.

He picked up her outer hull. It was mostly orange now with only a little green visible. "I don't know if this cleanser can get the stains off of your coverings. I might end up scrubbing all of the green off and I don't think the Jedi any paint on board."

The nearby console began beeping an alert. Anakin returned to the cockpit and strapped in. "We'll see about picking out some paint on Tuohctaw." He said as he brought the ship out of hyperspace and smoothly guided it to the nearest populated planet. "I'll have to buy some more clothes and tools too." he said as an afterthought.

"I suppose I ought to warn you now that we need to go into hiding, Kaely." Anakin told her grimly. "After we finish getting the stuff we need here, we'll go back to that little moon. It's a nice enough place. No people, but I'm sure you'll have fun terrorizing the animals." he smiled crookedly. "You don't remember it of course, but I started building you there."

Anakin gave one of his fake IDs to Tuohctaw's space traffic control and maneuvered into the landing line. "We've got to be extra alert for those ugly droids. I don't think that anyone could follow us this quickly from Yawsihtog, but you never know."

*********

They had enjoyed the little shopping trip so far. Kaely got in some much needed flying lessons and Anakin was almost certain that nothing else in her system was still clogged. Kaely was cheerful and chirped excitedly as she examined the array of colors on the paint rack in front of her. Anakin had thought it would be fun to let her pick the paint herself. /Big mistake./ Not only did Kaely not even have a favorite color, she couldn't choose one. Anakin glanced around the shop warily. /This is so embarrassing. Why can't she just make up her mind./

Anakin stiffened. "We've gotta go now!" he dropped the objects he had intended to purchase on a shelf and turned to exit the store.

Kaely didn't follow. Anakin glared at her and pulled the tiny droid to his hand swiftly with the Force. He didn't bother worring if some of the other customers saw.

"Jedi are here." He whispered to her and attempted to walk quickly out of the doorway without looking suspicious. "This is no time for games."

***********

Master Qui-gon Jinn and Jedi Knight Obi-wan Kenobi sat in a cantina near the ship hangers on Yaw-sihtog. It was raining loudly outside. The two Jedi sat in silence for they had no words to say and none were needed. Obi-wan sat with his head bowed and idly stirred the drink in front of him. It was a local brew that had now become cold. He hadn't noticed. Qui-gon stared out at the miserable weather. He rarely blinked and hardly seemed to breath he was so still. Their hearts were heavy with disappointment and reflection over recent events.

After Anakin stole their ship, they contacted the other two Jedi teams. Once they had warned them of Anakin's power and the droids that attacked, Master Deyonna offered to pick them up. Master Stiaw was closer but they had all agreed that his team needed to immediately track down Anakin. They felt certain that he would be easy find while in Obi-wan and Qui-gon's ship. They had ways of tracing the crafts that belonged to the Jedi. Meanwhile, Master Deyonna would come get them from Tidessim.

Qui-gon and Obi-wan both rose smoothly as they sensed the approach of three Jedi. Together they quickly exited the cantina and walked through the rain without caring if they became soaked or not. They entered the hanger just as the ship finished landing and lowered its ramp. Knight Gnirit met them inside.

"Good evening," he said somberly. "We have received further news since our last contact with you. If you will come this way we will leave at once."

Master Deyonna met them in the central room while Knight Gnirit went to assist Knight Suoixna with the takeoff. The Cihtapme Jedi Master was frowning. Obi-wan didn't know her as well Qui-gon did, yet he could feel right away that something was very wrong simply by the look on her face. Her face should have been expressionless, portraying only her calm demeanor. It is always a sign of terrible events when a Jedi Master frowns.

"Greetings, Master Jinn, Knight Kenobi." Master Deyonna said as all three of them bowed formally. "Our current situation has changed."

Her lined face was grim. "Anakin Skywalker has eluded capture once more." she said firmly as the three of them sat and strapped themselves down in preparation for the jump to lightspeed.

"We have received orders from the Jedi Council to cease our mission and return to Coruscant at once."

Now it was Qui-gon's turn to frown. "We must find him." he argued.

"I understand that this is very important to you. However, disobeying these orders is not an option." Her dark eyes narrowed and she looked at Qui-gon sternly as if waiting for him to challenge her further.

Obi-wan glanced at the two masters and held back a sigh. "What of Master Stiaw's team?" he asked.

"They have already returned to the Temple."

"Did they locate our ship?" Obi-wan inquired carefully.

Master Deyonna smiled. "Yes, I believe they did."

"Then we should at least retrieve it." Qui-gon suggested.

"I am not falling for that old trick." Master Deyonna's smile became a smirk. "You are both determined to follow the boy, but I must disappoint you. I do not know where your ship is."

"Then we will contact Master Stiaw." Obi-wan said.

"I doubt that he can help you." Her face once more became grim.

"Why is that?" Qui-gon asked.

"If I may finish my explanation without further interruptions perhaps you will understand?" Master Deyonna looked at them pointedly.

Obi-wan had the grace to look embarrassed. However, Qui-gon only nodded curtly.

"Of course," he said. "You have our apologies. Please continue."

"Master Stiaw and his team arrived at Coruscant unconscious and their ship on autopilot. In the last transmission, I was told that though all three of them had only minor injuries, the temple healers had still not managed to awaken them. The Council has concluded that Skywalker must have overpowered them."

She paused, but Master Qui-gon and Obi-wan made no response and waited for her to finish.

"The rest of us have been recalled because it is apparent that groups of Masters and Knights are insufficient. The Council members themselves will be pursuing the boy from now on."

*****************

Part 21 Thoughts are indicated like /this/. ***********************************

The revered Jedi Council convened to hear the report on the search for Anakin Skywalker. As it was his mission, Jedi Knight Obi-wan Kenobi gave the summary of what he, Master Qui-gon, and Master Deyonna's team experienced. The Council listened quietly without interrupting him. As he concluded, Obi-wan looked eagerly at Master Stiaw.

The third Jedi team did not look worse for wear from their encounter with Anakin. There was no visible injuries or any appearance of long term effects from their unwilling sleep on their return to Coruscant.

"We met Skywalker on Yawsihtog in a street of a small city." Master Stiaw narrated. "As we anticipated, he refused to accompany us and we prepared to restrain him."

"The boy fled from us across the rooftops with great speed. We were hard pressed to catch up with him and we were wary of possible traps. As we began to overtake him we approached a large gap between two buildings. The boy leaped and rebounded off the other roof, kicked Master Seta Relot in the head and dislocated Knight Truh Taht's left hip. Skywalker tried to grab me in passing, but missed and he landed on the roof safely. Knight Taht and I levitated ourselves and Master Relot, who was unconscious, to the ground and discovered that Knight Taht couldn't walk. We decided that I would continue chasing Skywalker, while they healed themselves enough to follow after us. However, it was not necessary as the boy had not left."

His old face was stern as he finished his report. "We had fallen into Skywalker's trap. The gap between the two buildings was not a road or space. Somehow the boy had removed part of the roof of a fish packing building. We had landed inside a large packing press whose lid he activated to confine us. He then quickly used the controls to remove all of the air from inside. We failed to escape and had no choice but to go into a hibernation trance. As you know, we did not awaken until after Skywalker had shipped us back here."

The room was silent for a moment. "Thank you all for your great efforts. We, the Council, will pursue this matter ourselves. May the Force be with you." Master Windu dismissed them all.

***********

The Council was not surprised that Master Qui-gon and Obi-wan did not leave with the other Jedi.

Master Yoda visibly repressed a sigh. "Speak your objections."

Qui-gon corrected him. "We do not disagree with the Council's decision to capture Anakin yourselves."

"We request to accompany you." Obi-wan told them.

"State your reasons why." Mace Windu instructed them.

"Anakin has not attacked us on either occasion that we have opposed him." Qui-gon explained.

"He effectively subdued Master Stiaw's team of three Jedi, yet did not even attempt to do the same to the two of us. He knows us and is more inclined to listen and talk to us rather then any of you." Obi- wan strongly pointed out.

The Jedi Council members looked at each other briefly as they considered the request before Master Windu gave their response. "You have our consent."

"Inform you, we must, of our deliberations." Master Yoda announced.

Master Adi Gallia began first. "We have yet to determine the identity of the sender of these droids. The pieces retrieved by Master Deyonna are being analyzed as we speak. It is possible that Skywalker is running from his master and these droids are meant to catch him. Or that an unknown party has discovered the boy's abilities and wishes to exploit him as the pirates did."

"We have studied your reports on the extent of the Force actions that Skywalker has displayed, very carefully." Mace Windu leaned forward in his chair to look at Eeth Koth.

"The Force enhanced speed and agility appear to be Skywalker's most developed skills. He is also able to levitate more than seven objects at one time. How long he can maintain them is still unknown. Part of this skill can be attributed to the pirates insistence that he lift things for them." Master Eeth Koth surmised sternly.

"He also resists Force suggestions and mind tricks. This could be merely an indication that his will and mind are very strong, however it could be due to training. If so, than Skywalker was certainly a willing student. Otherwise his master would have not taught him to resist mind control." Master Yarael Poof's long neck swayed slightly.

Master Oppo Rancisis's tiny eyes seemed to bore into everyone. "We are very disturbed that the boy walked through a laser shield. Such fine-tuned alteration of matter particles is a rare talent that we have always thought to be impossible without decades of training. At this time, only a few hundred Jedi have accomplished this technique and nearly all of them are Master Healers. Even so, most of them could not part, pass through, and return an object to its original state so quickly."

"The glowing is feasibly a combination of a protecting Force wave technique and other, as yet unknown, manipulations of the Force." Master Saesee Tiin told them. "Your explanation of the damage caused by the Force literally exploding around the boy, supports this theory. The strong and dangerous light around him reacted very much like the force field that expands in a protecting wave. Also, Skywalker injured himself due to his lack of control, which is very typical when one is training to produce the wave. Why and how the light occurred spontaneously and with little warning is still obscure."

"He may also have control over energy attacks." Qui-gon pointed out.

"How so?" Master Yoda asked as his ears perked up.

"On Sielilyad, the Knights with me described a bright, narrow beam of light that distracted them." Qui-gon reminded the Council. "I believe that this could have been a Force action."

"Those Knights did not speak of that light with any significance." Master Windu said.

"They could not have anticipated that a child could possibly accomplish what takes a Jedi a decade to learn. I doubt that it even occurred to them." Qui-gon reiterated.

"Skywalker would have to be quite adept at absorbing and dissipating energy in order to create a beam out of it." mused Master Windu as he leaned back in his seat.

"Odd, that do this he can, yet control his glowing, he does not." Yoda added.

Master Even Piell's voice gruffly intruded. "Skywalker's lack of other skills is at this time undecipherable. He has not levitated himself to our knowledge. Yet it is very probable that he can. Perhaps he is concealing or conserving it until needed."

"Likewise after his last theft, our holo-interviews with the guards show that he never preformed mind tricks on them, despite how useful it would have been." Master Depa Billaba tilted her head when she finished speaking.

"The boy was unable to pierce your concealment trick, Master Jinn. And does not know how to hide himself enough to evade us." commented Ki-Adi Mundi.

Master Plo Koon spoke through his breathing mask. "He also made no effort to heal himself of the after effects of his light explosion. It is quite puzzling, as evident from his manipulation of the laser shield, he is capable of doing so."

"In less than four years, learned too erratically, he has." said Master Yaddle concisely.

"We will meditate on the future in order to locate him." Master Windu decided.

"On the unnamed places, we will focus." Master Yoda's eyes were closed.

Obi-wan was confused. "How can this be when no one can see Anakin's future?"

"We will go where the Force shows us no future." Qui-gon replied.

**********

One month later...

**********

Anakin ran through the forest nimbly. They had found him again. /This is stupid. These droids can't handle a nature trek!/ He and Kaely had been so happy here. Every day was filled with exploring and fishing. He spent much of his time working to control his Force light and loved how calm and peaceful this unnamed, deserted moon was.

Anakin leapt down from the tree branch as he smashed the last battle droid. He panted lightly. /This is actually becoming easier after all the *practice* I've had lately./

"Impressive." The strange voice intoned from nowhere.

"Whatever." Anakin said sarcastically in the direction of the mangled droid heap that he knew the comlink must be on.

"Your speed and adeptness at dodging has certainly improved."

"Well then, perhaps you should just lay off on the ugly droids and do the job yourself." Anakin spat in disgust and walked away from the metal droid parts calmly.

"Very well."

Anakin spun around in horror when he sensed a dark presence approach from the large trees behind him. /This guy's been here the whole time?! And dimming my senses too!/ Anakin realized in shock. The owner of the voice was tall, but shorter than Master Qui-gon and wrapped in a black, hooded robe. Even though the cowl blocked most of the face, Anakin was puzzled that he couldn't seem to see any distinguishing facial features. /This guy is hiding behind an illusion!/

*****************

Part 22 Thoughts are indicated like /this/. ***********************************

Anakin crouched in a ready stance. The forest surrounding them was silent as all of the animals had fled during Anakin's battle with the droids. No breezes reached them in the dim shadows of the trees. He knew that his usual tactic of simply running would not work against this foe. He had no traps, no weapons and was too tired from fighting the battle droids to make it far.

"If you survive, I will keep you. If not...."

Anakin swallowed his fear and fought down the chills that menacing tone gave him. /I can do this./ he encouraged himself. He waited for his opponent to make the first move. Due to how much taller his enemy was, Anakin didn't dare attack first. He had no way of knowing how many feet or arms might be hidden beneath that black robe. Or what weapons.

The creature's first strike was a simple punch towards the boy's midsection. It was too strong and nearly overpowered Anakin's block. Anakin jumped up and swung his left fist to uppercut to it's jaw. But his enemy caught his wrist and aimed a knife-hand strike at the boy's neck. Anakin rotated his whole arm in a reverse hammer blow, ducked the strike and escaped backwards. A Force pull nearly tripped him but he resisted it and Force shoved back. He leaped into the nearest tree above him to gain some distance.

"Cunning."

"Uh'huh. Just why are you after me, by the way?"

"You are valuable."

"Yeah, right."

Anakin scrutinized the figure below him. /Why does this guy seem familiar. I'm sure I've never seen him before, but../

His eyes widened in horror. "You're a Sith!"

The Sith vaulted up to him. Though he blocked the fist coming at his head, Anakin failed to stop the thrust kick to his chest. It knocked the air out of him and he fell to the ground on his hands and knees. He barely rolled out of the way when his attacker followed. He moved stiffly in response to his painful ribs.

A shrill squealing sound echoed in the forest. Anakin's tiny droid came flying madly at the Sith. She zoomed in circles around its head and fired her electrically charged darts.

"Kaely, no!"

The Sith waved one black gloved hand in a Force shove that sent little Kaely wailing and spinning off into the atmosphere.

/No! Please be alright Kaely!/ his face scrunched up with worry, but he remained as calm as possible and concentrated on his enemy.

Her intervention had provided Anakin with a much needed diversion. He flipped up to a hand stand and kicked the Sith in the forehead.

"You'll regret that!"

"See if I care!"

The Sith threw a Force enhanced punch that connected with the boy's right arm. Anakin screamed and fell to one knee. He ducked a roundhouse kick to his head and scurried further into the woods. It took nearly all his concentration to support his excruciating right arm and ignore the pain from his bruised ribs.

/I wonder why that thing hit my arm so hard, but his kick only banged my ribs? Was this guy holding back before?/ Running was terribly painful and his vision began to blur.

"No more fun." The black clad figure pulled out a blaster from it's voluminous robes. The Sith fired several blaster shots in rapid succession. Anakin had nothing to block them with. He dodged wildly in search of cover as the blots burnt the nearby trees and he choked on the smoke. For a second time the Sith tried using the Force to grab Anakin and successfully snagged his ankle. With the pain from his injured arm, Anakin couldn't concentrate enough to free himself. He twisted around and grasped a tree limb for support. The Sith Force-yanked him into the open and fired.

They both stared in incredulity as the bolt splashed harmlessly against Anakin's shoulder. The Sith tossed the blaster to the ground.

"Excellent energy absorption skills."

The boy stood cradling his right arm and gathering the strength he knew he'd need to throw off the Sith's hold.

Boldly, Anakin raised his left hand and pointed his finger at the Sith. "That was a mistake."

A burst of narrow, white light shot from his fingertip. The energy he absorbed from the blaster bolt greatly enhanced the beam. But his hopes plummeted when the Sith stopped it and closed it's fist over the remains of the light.

Silently, the Sith lifted it's hand and increased the energy within ten-fold. Anakin gasped and staggered backwards. A sphere of light boiled and sparked with a sickly gray and yellow hue. Too quickly for Anakin to react the Sith aimed the ball of energy at him. His eyes widened and he cringed as he saw the grayish yellow blast coming towards him. It was too big and he knew that he couldn't dodge or out run it in time. He thrust out his undamaged left hand in a vain attempt to block it.

/I'm going to die!/ With his eyes squeezed shut, Anakin waited for the searing blast to strike him.

A warmth began to irritate his palm and a loud crackling was the only sound he could hear. Anakin slowly opened one eye slightly. The ball of gray and yellow fire hung suspended in the air next to his fingers. Anakin jerked his hand away in shock and shielded his eyes from the halted flames. Stumbling, he moved out of it's attack path. He could see that behind the ball was a trail of yellow sparks held in the air as if frozen.

"Ani!" Obi-wan shouted. "Over here!"

Anakin held his injured arm with his sore left hand and scrambled to the Jedi as fast as his feet would allow. He almost tripped over Master Yoda in his haste. The small Jedi Master's eyes were closed in deep concentration as he held the blazing energy with the Force.

Anakin reached Obi-wan and Master Qui-gon with obvious relief on his face. /I've never been so glad to see anyone in my whole life!/ Qui- gon looked a little surprised to see him smiling. A flash of light startled Anakin and he jumped around just in time to see the Sith vault into the trees as his own attack reversed and flew at him. Master Yoda appeared oddly irritated that the Sith avoided it. From the shadows two more Jedi Masters appeared with ignited lightsabers and followed the retreating figure.

Yoda glanced back at Anakin and shared a look with Qui-gon before bounding away to pursue the Sith as well.

"Am I glad to see you." Anakin panted lightly. His face was strained and he leaned against a nearby tree, grateful that the danger was over with.

The Jedi looked at him hopefully. But, they were delayed in answering by a whining hum. Zipping through the trees came a tiny round object no bigger than their fists. It buzzed and screeched around their heads and at their faces.

"Stop, Kaely." Anakin said in a weak voice.

Obi-wan used the Force to snatch the tiny droid out of the air and pull her to his hand. He looked at her closely and turned her upside down.

"What is this little thing for?"

Kaely was indignant at such treatment and squealed at him. Master Qui-gon smiled at his padawan. "To annoy people, obviously."

"Of course, annoy." he looked at Anakin. "Are you com..ouch!" Obi-wan let go of the small nuisance instantly.

She flew up and waved her arm appendage threateningly at Obi-wan's face. Kaely scolded him harshly.

"Kaely, hush! And don't pinch people!" Anakin commanded.

She suddenly halted and chirped at him. "Kaely, this is Master Qui- gon and this is Obi-wan." Anakin took a deep breath. "This is K-LE1, a droid I designed and built all myself." he said proudly.

The tiny droid was suddenly all politeness and cooed sweetly at the Jedi. Anakin rolled his eyes at her.

"Hello, Kaely." Qui-gon said with an amused smile. Obi-wan just looked at her and sighed at his master's absurdity. The Jedi returned their focus on Anakin.

"I didn't know if you'd given up on me or not. Thank you."

"You are welcome." Qui-gon replied.

"Oh, yeah. Master Yoda just saved my life, didn't he?"

Obi-wan grinned at the look of disgust on Anakin's pale face. "Indeed. How bad is your arm?"

"I don't know. That Sith thing hit it hard."

Obi-wan gently held the boy's right arm and examined it. "It is broken just below the elbow." He carefully braced it with the Force to help relieve the pressure. "We will wrap it up back at the ship."

"I..." Anakin's voice trailed off when he felt a prick at his neck. He turned his head around and saw Master Qui-gon holding a medical injector. Anakin gave him a look of betrayal before collapsing unconscious into the Jedi's waiting arms.

Next ->

 

Feedback  tall_terror@hotmail.com