29 August 2007 - Mountbatten Centre gets the go aheadThe development of the Mountbatten Centre in Portsmouth as a flagship sports facility has taken a major step forward after planning permission was approved this month.
In April, Portsmouth City Council confirmed the preferred bidder for the £20 million redevelopment of the centre as Broadwater Leisure Ltd, one of the major local authority leisure management contractors in the country. As part of the project they will also be operating the other council-owned leisure facilities in the city.
The main feature will be a new 50 metre community swimming pool with new and renovated facilities including:
- a new entrance and reception area
- a 50m x 8 lane main pool with a 12.5m teaching pool
- a dedicated wetside changing village
- poolside accommodation and offices including a first aid room and a 200 capacity viewing area overlooking the pool hall
- a new 150 station fitness suite
- a new and relocated health suite with separate health and fitness changing facilities
- a new semi sprung floor and improved lighting for the existing main hall and works to the athletics and cycle tracks.
The new Mountbatten Centre will be the hub of a sustainable network of community sports facilities across Portsmouth, and also at the heart of the city's bid to host a pre-Games Camp prior to the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, which could create a real 'buzz' across local communities and encourage more participation in sport and physical activity.
The council is now in detailed negotiation and consultation that should lead to a contract being signed towards the end of this year. Work is planned to start on site before the end of the year, with a scheduled completion and opening date in the summer of 2009.
Councillor Terry Hall, Executive member for Culture and Leisure said: " The design is exciting and modern and the project should bring huge benefits to the city in terms of sporting facilities and sporting participation by the whole community. When the new sports facilities are up and running I hope that as many residents as possible will make good use of the new and superb facilities available."Date : 29 August 2007