George Cadbury, with his brother Richard, took over his fathers small business in 1861. Based in Birmingham City Centre, the business expanded into the manufacture of pure cocoa and then chocolate bars and filled chocolates.
By 1878, the city premises had become too cramped. The two brothers purchased land in the countryside, 4 miles out of Birmingham but with excellent canal and railway access, and embarked on the building of a new factory in what became known the world over as Bournville. Driven by a passion for social reform linked with his Quaker beliefs, George Cadburys objective was to provide decent quality homes in a healthy environment which could be afforded by industrial workers. Bournville has never been a factory village tied to the Works; fewer than half the inhabitants have a link with the Cadbury factory.
In 1900 came the founding of Bournville Village Trust, to administer and develop the village and its surroundings. The Estate today covers 1,000 acres, providing a home for some 25,000 people, and includes an exceptionally wide range of housing provision.
Bournvilles green environment reflects the aim of George Cadbury that one-tenth of the Estate should be... laid out and used as parks, recreation grounds and open space.