History of the Village of Alix
Alix was originally called Toddsville after Joseph Todd who first came to this area in the spring of 1900 from Michigan, USA. Mr. & Mrs. Todd and five children traveled by covered wagon, which was pulled by an ox and a horse. They were on their way further east, but decided to stop overnight in the Alix area before proceeding on their journey. They were very impressed with the quality of grass, soil, and abundant water here and decided to settle in this area. Little did they know then that the 1/4 section they purchased would later become the site for the Village of Alix. The original Todd home is situated north of the junction of 52nd Street and Highway 12 within the Village of Alix. Many families have lived there over the years.
When the Village of Alix was incorporated on June 3rd, 1907 the name was changed to Alix. As Mrs. Alexia Westhead was the first white woman settler here the president of the CPR thought it fitting to name the village after her. Mr. Sanderson was mayor for the first year and then Mr. Todd held the position from 1908 to 1909. Mr. Todd served as Justice of the Peace and contributed much to the Village over the years. Mrs. Todd was a practical nurse and was often called on to deliver babies and attend to other medical needs. Mr. Todd built the first school here, which is now part of the Lions' Den situated on 49th Avenue.