The Philippine Star
eligibility for executive clemency of the 14 soldiers convicted in the
Aquino-Galman double murder case has been shelved due to its political
implications, Malacañang said Thursday.
Secretary Eduardo Ermita said the application for clemency by the 14 convicts
is currently being reviewed by the Bureau of Pardons and Parole, but the fact
remains that President Arroyo will ultimately decide their fate.
things come in the evaluation of whatever action the President as President
would take, but the President has the absolute power under the Constitution on
the matter of granting or not granting executive clemency,” he said.
former constables have officially applied for executive clemency, for they are
however, admitted their case is different because of the nature of the offense
they had been convicted of.
the subject matter, former senator (Benigno) Aquino (Jr.) being the one
assassinated, and then considering that the wife of former senator Aquino has
become the former president, you can see the political implications of this,”
Ermita pointed out.
refused to give a timetable for the review of the case.
president Corazon Aquino said on Tuesday that she has forgiven the soldiers
involved in her husband’s assassination and merely wanted them to confess to
One of the
convicts, Pablo Martinez, appealed that they have already served 24 years in
prison which qualifies them for executive clemency.
noted another convict, Rolando de Guzman, suffered a stroke while in prison.
The issue of
health is also one of the qualifications for executive clemency. Marvin Sy