Looking Back at the DeKalb County Courthouse
by Ron Klein and Mac McIntyre
The DeKalb County Courthouse stands as a silent witness to 93
years of the county's history. It is not the original courthouse.
It is the third generation, "born" in 1905 at a price of around
$100,000. Somewhere within the four fluted columns, in the walls
made of Bedford buffed stone, lies a testimony of the fortitude of
Sycamore's founding fathers.
Not everyone thought it a good idea for the courthouse to be
located in Sycamore. There were numerous efforts to have the
courthouse, and the designation as DeKalb County's seat, placed in
other communities. Some have called these efforts "skullduggery,"
but the verdict handed down in history reflects that Sycamore is the
county seat and home of one of the grand courthouses in the country.
If Dr. Henry Madden had had his way, the courthouse would sit in
Brush Point, which was just a little northwest of Sycamore (then
called Orange). Rufus Colton thought Coltonville was the ideal
location for the county seat. Rufus thought he had the inside track.
After all he was the Circuit Clerk and court sessions were held at
The county had just been formed in 1837 and the title of county
seat was coveted. Rufus went so far as to hold an election to
determine the site of the county seat ó without bothering to notify
anyone who was not a resident of Coltonville. This maneuver was
cancelled by an act of the Illinois Assembly and finally Sycamore
was chosen as the county seat. Perhaps Madden and Colton were right
to put so much effort into gaining the title of county seat for
their communities. Brush Point and Coltonville did not last long
after the decision was made in favor of Sycamore.
A log structure, serving as the courthouse, was erected in
1839. For 11 years this two story building, located across State
Street from the present courthouse, kept an increasingly busy
schedule. By 1850 the county had grown substantially and the need
for a new courthouse was evident. E.P. Young, Kimball Dow and J. C.
Kellogg were appointed to contract for the new building at a cost
not to exceed $6,000. An addition to the second courthouse was
constructed in 1863, and it served the county well up to the turn of
The present courthouse was built amidst controversy as another
attempt was made to wrestle the title of county seat away from
Sycamore. Two wealthy industrialists from DeKalb, Jacob Haish and
Isaac Ellwood, pledged $20,000 each to help defray the costs of
building a new courthouse, to be built in DeKalb. Residents of
Sycamore collectively raised $70,000 to keep the courthouse in
town. Despite legal fights and escalating pledges (Jacob Haish once
pledged $103,000 of his own money) the county seat remained in
Sycamore and the present courthouse was constructed.