Catacomb Beginnings

In the spring of 1928, Bishop R. A. Gerken purchased 40 acres of land 3 miles northeast of Amarillo for an all male preparatory school. Anxious to begin classes, Bishop Gerken opened St. George's College on September 12, 1928 before construction of the school had even been completed. Lacking a building, the 35 students who enrolled attended classes in the basement of the old Sacred Heart Cathedral.

continued