Horizon College & Seminary traces
its origins back to a small school that George Hawtin, the local pastor, began
in Star City, Saskatchewan, in 1935. He moved the school, then known as Bethel
Bible Institute, to Saskatoon in 1937, where he purchased property and developed
a campus at Avenue A and 29th Street. In 1945, the college became the property
of The Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada and in 1947, the college came under the
direction of the Saskatchewan District of the PAOC as a result of a major
administrative change in the school itself.
Robert M. Argue came from his Regina pastorate in 1947 to provide the college
with solid leadership during the next nine critical years. When he left in 1956,
C.H. Stiller, the Saskatchewan District Superintendent, became president and
guided the college through some difficult years created by low enrolments. It
was, however, during this time that the Manitoba District began to support
Bethel. When the school, in 1962, had its name changed to Central Pentecostal
College, it came under the joint sponsorship of the Manitoba-Northwestern
Ontario and Saskatchewan Districts of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada.
During Alvin Schindel's presidency, from 1963 to 1974, the college purchased the
former Lutheran Theological Seminary building and some land just off 8th Street
East. With the erection of a new residence in 1969, capable of housing
seventy-two students, the college was developing a campus more suited to its
needs and purposes. In 1972, Central Pentecostal College established an agreement with Lutheran
Theological Seminary in Saskatoon whereby qualified students could study at
Central Pentecostal College towards attaining a graduate level theological degree.
Further significant campus developments took place during the ten years of
Kenneth Birch's presidency from 1974-1984. Ken led a building program that added
a 150-seat lecture theatre, an expanded library, and a new office complex to the
existing education building.
Central Pentecostal College was granted Affiliate College status by the University of Saskatchewan
on July 1, 1983. This recognition has provided access for our students to use
the University Libraries and other facilities as well as participate in the
recreational sports program. A number of courses were also recognized for
transfer credit to the University.
Presidents of the college since 1983 have included: J. Harry Faught (1984-1993),
Ron Kadyschuk (1993-1998), David Munk (1998-2004), and Doug Stiller (2004-2006).
Central Pentecostal College began the process of external accreditation with the American
Association of Bible Colleges (AABC) in 1988 and was granted accredited
membership in the AABC in 1997. The accrediting association is now called the
Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE).
In 2007 the ABHE approved a new agreement between our college and Providence
Theological Seminary (in Otterburne, Manitoba) to create a Pentecostal Studies
track in Providence’s Master of Divinity program. This opportunity for graduate
studies is administered through Canadian Pentecostal Seminary (CPS) Central, the
seminary division of our college programs.
Hundreds of graduates from the ministerial training programs at Horizon are in
different types of full-time ministry at home and abroad as well as responsible
places of lay leadership in local churches and other ministries.
In 2006 Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht was appointed Transition President of the college.
He has provided visionary leadership towards renewing the ministry of the
college including the name change brought about May 1st, 2007, wherein we
officially changed our name to Horizon.