Go Back   TheXverse.com Community Forums > The Community > X-Men Movie Discussion > VIP Post Archive

Old 06-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #101
WorthyStevens
Fallen Angel

Originally Posted by Zak Penn
- How exactly did Angel fly at the same speed as the blackbird, a supersonic jet, to get to San Francisco so quickly?

* He had to have stowed away on the plane, otherwise it isn't possible.
So, is it safe to assume that Angel takes more of a part in the battle? Because what would he be doing during the timespan between the beginning of the battle, and the time his father is pushed off the top of the building? I couldn't imagine that he would just be sitting in the Blackbird when a war is brewing below.

And since he at one point WAS in an X-suit, he had to have earned that somehow.

Last edited by WorthyStevens : 06-04-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:35 PM   #102
sabretooth
Storm Front

Zak, thanks for continuing to answer our questions - it means a lot and we, as fans, have been privileged to have had such an opportunity!

Q. Why was Storm's Alcatraz wave cut from the movie after being heavily featured in trailers etc? Will this shot be reinserted into the DVD cut of the movie?

Last edited by sabretooth : 06-04-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #103
Stuart Green
New Mutant

Thanks for the replies, Mr. Penn, though I must admit, I rather loathed "X-Men: The Last Stand". With all due respect, the story and character development were nowhere near as good as the first two and the fact that my favorite X-Man, Cyclops, died and my favorite X-Woman, Rogue, got a minimalistic role (and cured) didn't help, either. Sorry, but I'm not going to lie about my opinion. You deserve to know the truth.

I have a few questions, if you have the time:

#1.) This was missed when the other questions were compiled, but oh well: I started a petition to give Rogue not only a leading role in "X-Men 4" (if there is one), but to also give her Miss Marvel's powers somehow. I have 140 signatures so far and climbing (115 of them were in the first five days). I want your honest opinion: Do you think this petition will work?

#2.) Why wasn't Juggernaut the step-brother of Xavier? Such a cool storyline was sorely missed here and instead, he was just a mutant henchman to Magneto. Why don't we see X-Men family ties in any of the movies, like Magneto and his kids (Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Polaris) or Juggernaut's ties to Xavier?

#3.) Switching gears, I'd like to ask a question regarding your work on "Hulk 2": Since Jennifer Connelly is still currently contracted to return for a second, do you know what you'd like to do with Betty Ross' character in the second?

#4.) Months ago, I know that producer Avi Arad said in an interview that the Hulk will be shorter than 15 feet, because, as he said, "there's no human connection there" if he is 15 feet tall (he's right about that) and that the Hulk would be a mix of CGI and an actor in make-up and prosthetics in order to focus on the "human, primal, naive part of the Hulk". But whatever they do to bring Hulk to life (though, personally, I think the actor theory could work, but only if it's done right) I think there's one thing everyone really wants to know: would you rather write the Hulk like he was on the TV show (no talking, just growling and roaring) or would you rather have him speak primally like in the comics ("Hulk smash!" and all)?

Thanks for all the answers you've given us so far. Good luck with your next movie.

Sincerely,
Stuart Green
Old 06-04-2006, 05:10 PM   #104
Aiden
Cyclops

[quote=Darkstar]3) Do you think it might have been better to simply have Cyclops leave the X-Men at the start of X3 and ride away grief-stricken (never to be seen again), rather than kill him off? Fans of the character seem to prefer him absent than dead...
QUOTE]
About that, maybe we shouldn't assume anything...I mean, why was Jean in a coma after she had risen?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #105
Crimson Warrior
New Mutant

Mr. Penn,

I have a simple request that you kindly please help to clear up this now infamous Colossus vs. Juggernaut fight debate. Previously you have said that it was once scripted but replaced with the kitty/juggs chase.

Was Colosssus vs. Juggernaut ever shot in any shape or form? we have some people going around the net claiming to have seen this fight, along with quotes from John Bruno and etc that state that "the two pair off".
Old 06-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #106
chris4rain
New Mutant

Hi Zak,

I had this long thing written and it just got deleted, so here's everything in a nutshell: Loved the film, loved that there was a 3rd party involved (Worthington/Gov. with the Cure), and thought very good resolution was met for the characters, as well as great controversy over having all of their values challenged. I HAVE 5 QUESTIONS FOR YOU, REGARDING BOTH X3 AND THE PROPOSED "YOUNG X-MEN" SPINOFF (sorry for the caps, wanted to make sure I got your attention):

1) You've already mentioned the ending of Beast teaching at the school, which we saw a picture of and fit his resolution much better ("diplomacy" turned its back on him, so it was out of place having him accept that position). My question is with Logan and Magneto: was there an ending of Logan leaving the school for good (since there's nothing left for him there and he is the tragic loner), and an ending perhaps of Magneto and Mystique? I heard a rumor of the Mags/Mystique ending, which I thought fit better than the ambiguity of his chess scene- the two of them lost their pride and their identities, but it would have been really good closure I think to see them reunite, now feeling alienated to everyone but eachother.

2) It seems that the proposed "Young X-Men" spinoff is for the most part X4, because those are the only ones left with the exception of Storm and [hopefully] Beast. Would you create it for all intents and purposes as the sequel to X3, in terms of story and tone? Iceman's development has gotten better each film, Kitty could have good symbolic scenes because of her abilities, and Colossus's invulnerability sets him up for the same thematic foundation as the now absent Logan- I think Colossus has the most potential out of them all (not to say he should be front and center, its pointed towards Iceman, but there's just so much potential coming from Colossus, and this is from a someone whose never read the comics)

3) X3, unlike X1 and X2, had the plot driven by a 3rd party- which I really enjoyed because we got to see the established characters react to the Cure, to Jean, and we got to see mutancy as a social problem and not one for just Xavier's and Magneto's teams. In your proposed "spinoff", would there again be a 3rd party to drive the plot, or have the normal lives of the young x-men drive the story? (if this were a dream and I were a writer, I'd have a 3rd party, for example trask developing sentinels or a new super-violent Brotherhood, to help drive the plot, but maybe have a movie down the line be completely character driven like X1 or X2)

4) Since I'm looking at your spinoff for all intents and purposes as X4, how would Xavier and the surviving Brotherhood be handled? My main reason for asking this is Pyro- in X2 he didn't fit with the X-Men, but in X3 I felt he didn't fit with the Brotherhood either (look at this reaction to Mags leaving Mystique or to Magneto's rebuttle of the "kill Xavier" comment- he still hasn't found his place)- Aaron Stanford has a ton of talent, Pyro has been shown to be violent, and I think it would be cool to conclude his arch by having him be a super-violent super-evil bad guy, but have him still be a tragic victim of society, since we know from X2 he has family issues. Plus, we still have Juggs (who 99% of the people really liked), and Multiple Man (2 scenes showed everyone that Eric Dane IS Multiple Man), who just needs to be rescued for giving himself up in X3. Magneto's arc is complete, Xavier for the most part too, whose now with Moira. It seems fitting to just develop him and Moira, but not bring him back to the school- he's been regretting since X1 getting the X-Men involved.

5) Were there any transition scenes cut? The only place where I thought this was seeing Logan leave the mansion, then suddenly he's in the forest, hoodie and jacket off, ready for a fight.

*As I said, loved the film- the controversy/dichotomy for the Cure (and Pheonix) was a fantastic way to challenge everyone's values and see where they really stood, and I thought the archs of the X-Men we knew were completed well (INCLUDING Jean and Cyke- was very, very pleased how that was handled *see below*, was pleased to see Rogue take the cure, and I liked Angel's arch- who I don't think needs any more X-film appearances since his arc was completed here). I can go on and on, but in the end I just thought there was a lot more substance to this one, and it went far beyond just character's lives like X1 and X2 (which I still love). And it was good to see more life at the X-mansion.*

*And yea, Jean and Cyke were really stressed here- loved how the thing that kept setting her off was Cyke's death, how she wasn't shown to love Logan whatsoever (I was afraid they'd go that route), and how she allowed Cyclops to look at her just with his eyes- symbolically, that was very powerful and pretty emotional. Glad to see them buried together- it shouldn't have been any other way.*

Good Luck, and hopefully your X-sequel becomes a reality,
-Drago-

Last edited by chris4rain : 06-04-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #107
TLCstormz
X-Man

I would like to issue a PUBLIC apology.

When I first replied in this thread, I had only seen the movie once. I have now seen it FOUR times, and I must say I am COMPLETELY in love with the movie. But that is a double edged sword.

The general audience will NOT be going to see the movie twice, and neither will many die-hard fans, since so many (TOO many) are so "disgusted" with the film.

The movie is VERY hard to swallow if you are any other kind of fan, other than a Wolverine fan or just a general audience member.

Nevertheless, I love the movie...NOW...I still have my problems with it (the overuse of Wolverine so much so that he steals other characters emotions, i.e. Storm @ Xaviers' empty wheelchair) but now, I can accept it as a good movie and an end to a Heaven-sent X-Men franchise. I DO, however, hope that this IS the last film. I don't know how many "real fans" would be able to deal with MORE films from the current cast, producers, and writers.

Thank you SO much for your time and God bless.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #108
chris4rain
New Mutant

Originally Posted by TLCstormz
I would like to issue a PUBLIC apology.

When I first replied in this thread, I had only seen the movie once. I have now seen it FOUR times, and I must say I am COMPLETELY in love with the movie. But that is a double edged sword.

The general audience will NOT be going to see the movie twice, and neither will many die-hard fans, since so many (TOO many) are so "disgusted" with the film.

The movie is VERY hard to swallow if you are any other kind of fan, other than a Wolverine fan or just a general audience member.

Nevertheless, I love the movie...NOW...I still have my problems with it (the overuse of Wolverine so much so that he steals other characters emotions, i.e. Storm @ Xaviers' empty wheelchair) but now, I can accept it as a good movie and an end to a Heaven-sent X-Men franchise. I DO, however, hope that this IS the last film. I don't know how many "real fans" would be able to deal with MORE films from the current cast, producers, and writers.

Thank you SO much for your time and God bless.

I saw it a bunch of times too- the first time I saw it I was pretty non-commital because I knew pretty much everything that would happen, just wanted to see it happen (which sucks- I miss the time of not having everything given away online or in trailers). Second time (and the rest), it rocked, and I was able to look for other things (other character reactions to certain events, symbolism, full character arcs, etc) that just helped to enhance the film.

I have to disagree with what you said about the general audience not liking the film- of all the times I saw it, the only types of complainers were the ones at my midnight showing (crazy fanboys- there was one group there just to make fun of Iceman for being too young, chuckling "hey, why don't we just make Iceman a 12 year old"... I guess it took them 6 years to come up with that one.), or a few people who didn't see X1 or X2 and kept asking questions. From what I saw, the general public really enjoyed it.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #109
Zak Penn
VIP

Default more answers

Originally Posted by Elixir
1. We have heard that you are to be writing a Young X Men film - what with Rogue's decision in regards to the cure in X3, do you have plans for her in such a spin-off? Do you think there is still a place for her with the XMen? Obviously I understand that this may be hard to answer so early on.

* I have not had a chance to do any thinking about this lately, although obviously I would like to continue the younger characters, like Rogue, Bobby, Pyro, Angel, etc. Don't know if that's feasible, we'll see. By the way, in terms of the cure, the nature of Rogue's power would inherently make it unstable. (We actually had a scene in an earlier draft where Logan gets shot and his healing power counteracts it. Cool, but didn't fit.) If she came back, you'd want to have her absorb powers and keep them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyke93
- Why did Xavier easily dismiss Cyclops off to run the school, while in X1 had that great scene of showing Cyclops willing and able to take over Xavier's place if something should happen to him

* See above. Also, we wanted to give Storm a leadership position, as she hasn't had much to do. It made sense given that Scott is being driven crazy by psychic calls from Jean. (And by the way, the implication is not that Scott is a crying baby; the implication is that Jean is trying to contact him and it's driving him nuts.) People who say Cyke comes off weak in his brief time in the film are not being fair to the movie.

- Why did Cyclops only have interaction with only 2 characters, Jean and Logan?

* See above.

- Why did storm not say anything about Cyclops during Xavier's funeral?

* She did at one point, but it made the earlier problem we discussed all the more glaring. Also, the X-Men are never completely sure what happened to him. They only have the glasses and Jean's reaction; no body, etc.

- Why did Angel suddenly show up at the mansion not do anything there and just fly in to rescue his dad out of nowhere?

* Well, that is a pretty slanted view of what happened. He showed up because he had no place else to go. The reasons for not having him in the final fight had more to do with logistics and the sheer number of characters we had to deal with. Keep in mind, we see Angel as having been "set up" in this movie. When Simon and I were writing, no one was calling it "The Last Stand" or saying this was the final movie.

Quote:
Why did you (both) feel that it was necessary to *** make a movie cleary made for the mainstream audience? Only non-X-Men fans and Wolverine fans will totally appreciate this movie.

* Is it mainstream to tell the story of a woman driven mad by her power to the point that she destroys everything around her, and then is killed by a man who loves her? Is it mainstream to include a cure that questions the very nature of the heroes' powers, and in fact provides no easy answer? If so, guilty as charged. Also, for all the complaints about Wolverine, this film turned out to be less about him than X2. Jean, Xavier and Magneto provide the most emotional moments.

Why did you (both) feel that it was necessary to slant the movie SO MUCH SO in the direction as "Wolverine will save us all, the movie, the universe, everything that has ever existed"? If people thought that the FIRST TWO movies were all about Wolverine, then this one is TRULY going to upset them (which is why I KNOW that X-Men fans (meaning the thought of them being a TEAM), like myself, are going to be truly heartbroken that, AGAIN, Wolverine has been overly inflated and used).

* See above. Did you know that one of the early drafts of X1 was called "Wolverine and the X-Men?" The only thing I can tell you is that I doubt you will see Wolvie in another X-Men ensemble movie for awhile.

The Phoenix scenes were truly magnificent. The fact that she "killed" those that she killed is fine with me. It served the story well and no one had a needless death...except for Psylocke.

* Thanks, I know that many people who had no expectations about Cyke or the Professor felt that these scenes were some of the best part of the story. In fact, I had an argument with more than one person who disagreed with me about their not being enough mourning for Cyke. Which was weird, actually.

I really enjoyed the movie, so don't think that I'm one of those *** X-Fans who are bitter at the world. God bless you for your efforts.

* Thanks a lot. And by the way, I bear no ill will towards those of you do post negative things. You have strong feelings about this universe, and where else do you get a chance to voice your opinion? Getting to work in Hollywood means having to take your lumps, particularly on something like X-Men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibune
1.On script was the Sentinel in the Danger Room supposed to have been shown in full form?

* Not really. We wanted to see that Sentinel Head to be a surprise when it rolled into frame. So much for the surprise. And no, Simon and I didn't design it. If we had, we probably would have stuck more with the classic design. Although, in the end, I don't think it matters much.

I ask because it seems that sort of detail would be up to the director ultimately

* Director, Production Designer, Effects... the list goes on.

How will you deal with Xavier's rebirth, the loss of Mystique's, Rogue's and Magneto's powers, and the deaths of Jean and Scott in X-Men 4? What are some of your plans for X4?

* I have no plans for X4 because the studio is claiming there won't be one. But I have some ideas.

Any chance of Cyclops coming back?? I truly think Scott's appeal has been underestimated, as much as we like Wolverine, he's overly inflated in the movies, does he have to be the hero everytime??

* I really don't know.

Any chance of Jean coming back???

* No.

Why did Jean/Phoenix have so few lines??

* See above. She has lots of lines until the section of the movie where she suddenly has none.

When writing the script, did you or Simon plan for them to use the 'firebird' phoenix force? I mean it was at the end of X2, and for continuity's sake, should have been in X3. And why didn't we see Phoenix rising? Was that in the script? I mean, at the end of X2, all I could think about was seeing the below pic in X3.

* What up, noob? See my first post for an answer to this question.

Please tell me that a Colossus and Juggernaut fight was shot, a few people have said they have seen it at press screenings, I smell bull, but did they ever have a confrontation in the script? How could they be in the same movie, and NOT fight???

* Do you know how hard it is to figure out who squares off with who? The answer is hard.

what happened to Pyro at the end after Iceman knocks him out? does the Phoenix kill him or does he somehow get away? i've been racking my brain on it since i saw the movie last night.

* Did you see him die? I didn't.

i thought the film was well done. i had a few nitpicks but overall thouroughly enjoyed the movie.

* Thank you. Me too.

i loved the movie completely,thanks for giving us th egrand finale i always wanted.

* Thanks very much.

you talked about an early draft with gambit in it,what would his role have been and what would phoenix be doing in that draft?

* Gambit was on that prison truck. Phoenix's role would have been the same.

uhh,the only thing i felt out of place in the movie was phoenix rising,why wasn't she show rising,or wet for that matter since she was under water for that long?

* It's funny, I argued pretty hard for showing the Phoenix rising from the water. We actually gave the original Phoenix Rising issue to someone on the crew as a gift. But when they showed us the silhoutted Jean in the blast of light, it seemed kind of Spielbergian and I thought it was the right choice. (Not that it was up to me.) Also, I thought that would save the fire effect for the end. Oh well.

also any truth to this to your knowledge?

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives...ms_xmen_4.html

To be continued...
Old 06-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #110
Zak Penn
VIP

Default more answers

Originally Posted by Elixir
1. We have heard that you are to be writing a Young X Men film - what with Rogue's decision in regards to the cure in X3, do you have plans for her in such a spin-off? Do you think there is still a place for her with the XMen? Obviously I understand that this may be hard to answer so early on.

* I have not had a chance to do any thinking about this lately, although obviously I would like to continue the younger characters, like Rogue, Bobby, Pyro, Angel, etc. Don't know if that's feasible, we'll see. By the way, in terms of the cure, the nature of Rogue's power would inherently make it unstable. (We actually had a scene in an earlier draft where Logan gets shot and his healing power counteracts it. Cool, but didn't fit.) If she came back, you'd want to have her absorb powers and keep them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyke93
- Why did Xavier easily dismiss Cyclops off to run the school, while in X1 had that great scene of showing Cyclops willing and able to take over Xavier's place if something should happen to him

* See above. Also, we wanted to give Storm a leadership position, as she hasn't had much to do. It made sense given that Scott is being driven crazy by psychic calls from Jean. (And by the way, the implication is not that Scott is a crying baby; the implication is that Jean is trying to contact him and it's driving him nuts.) People who say Cyke comes off weak in his brief time in the film are not being fair to the movie.

- Why did Cyclops only have interaction with only 2 characters, Jean and Logan?

* See above.

- Why did storm not say anything about Cyclops during Xavier's funeral?

* She did at one point, but it made the earlier problem we discussed all the more glaring. Also, the X-Men are never completely sure what happened to him. They only have the glasses and Jean's reaction; no body, etc.

- Why did Angel suddenly show up at the mansion not do anything there and just fly in to rescue his dad out of nowhere?

* Well, that is a pretty slanted view of what happened. He showed up because he had no place else to go. The reasons for not having him in the final fight had more to do with logistics and the sheer number of characters we had to deal with. Keep in mind, we see Angel as having been "set up" in this movie. When Simon and I were writing, no one was calling it "The Last Stand" or saying this was the final movie.

Quote:
Why did you (both) feel that it was necessary to *** make a movie cleary made for the mainstream audience? Only non-X-Men fans and Wolverine fans will totally appreciate this movie.

* Is it mainstream to tell the story of a woman driven mad by her power to the point that she destroys everything around her, and then is killed by a man who loves her? Is it mainstream to include a cure that questions the very nature of the heroes' powers, and in fact provides no easy answer? If so, guilty as charged. Also, for all the complaints about Wolverine, this film turned out to be less about him than X2. Jean, Xavier and Magneto provide the most emotional moments.

Why did you (both) feel that it was necessary to slant the movie SO MUCH SO in the direction as "Wolverine will save us all, the movie, the universe, everything that has ever existed"? If people thought that the FIRST TWO movies were all about Wolverine, then this one is TRULY going to upset them (which is why I KNOW that X-Men fans (meaning the thought of them being a TEAM), like myself, are going to be truly heartbroken that, AGAIN, Wolverine has been overly inflated and used).

* See above. Did you know that one of the early drafts of X1 was called "Wolverine and the X-Men?" The only thing I can tell you is that I doubt you will see Wolvie in another X-Men ensemble movie for awhile.

The Phoenix scenes were truly magnificent. The fact that she "killed" those that she killed is fine with me. It served the story well and no one had a needless death...except for Psylocke.

* Thanks, I know that many people who had no expectations about Cyke or the Professor felt that these scenes were some of the best part of the story. In fact, I had an argument with more than one person who disagreed with me about their not being enough mourning for Cyke. Which was weird, actually.

I really enjoyed the movie, so don't think that I'm one of those *** X-Fans who are bitter at the world. God bless you for your efforts.

* Thanks a lot. And by the way, I bear no ill will towards those of you do post negative things. You have strong feelings about this universe, and where else do you get a chance to voice your opinion? Getting to work in Hollywood means having to take your lumps, particularly on something like X-Men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibune
1.On script was the Sentinel in the Danger Room supposed to have been shown in full form?

* Not really. We wanted to see that Sentinel Head to be a surprise when it rolled into frame. So much for the surprise. And no, Simon and I didn't design it. If we had, we probably would have stuck more with the classic design. Although, in the end, I don't think it matters much.

I ask because it seems that sort of detail would be up to the director ultimately

* Director, Production Designer, Effects... the list goes on.

How will you deal with Xavier's rebirth, the loss of Mystique's, Rogue's and Magneto's powers, and the deaths of Jean and Scott in X-Men 4? What are some of your plans for X4?

* I have no plans for X4 because the studio is claiming there won't be one. But I have some ideas.

Any chance of Cyclops coming back?? I truly think Scott's appeal has been underestimated, as much as we like Wolverine, he's overly inflated in the movies, does he have to be the hero everytime??

* I really don't know.

Any chance of Jean coming back???

* No.

Why did Jean/Phoenix have so few lines??

* See above. She has lots of lines until the section of the movie where she suddenly has none.

When writing the script, did you or Simon plan for them to use the 'firebird' phoenix force? I mean it was at the end of X2, and for continuity's sake, should have been in X3. And why didn't we see Phoenix rising? Was that in the script? I mean, at the end of X2, all I could think about was seeing the below pic in X3.

* What up, noob? See my first post for an answer to this question.

Please tell me that a Colossus and Juggernaut fight was shot, a few people have said they have seen it at press screenings, I smell bull, but did they ever have a confrontation in the script? How could they be in the same movie, and NOT fight???

* Do you know how hard it is to figure out who squares off with who? The answer is hard.

what happened to Pyro at the end after Iceman knocks him out? does the Phoenix kill him or does he somehow get away? i've been racking my brain on it since i saw the movie last night.

* Did you see him die? I didn't.

i thought the film was well done. i had a few nitpicks but overall thouroughly enjoyed the movie.

* Thank you. Me too.

i loved the movie completely,thanks for giving us th egrand finale i always wanted.

* Thanks very much.

you talked about an early draft with gambit in it,what would his role have been and what would phoenix be doing in that draft?

* Gambit was on that prison truck. Phoenix's role would have been the same.

uhh,the only thing i felt out of place in the movie was phoenix rising,why wasn't she show rising,or wet for that matter since she was under water for that long?

* It's funny, I argued pretty hard for showing the Phoenix rising from the water. We actually gave the original Phoenix Rising issue to someone on the crew as a gift. But when they showed us the silhoutted Jean in the blast of light, it seemed kind of Spielbergian and I thought it was the right choice. (Not that it was up to me.) Also, I thought that would save the fire effect for the end. Oh well.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:26 PM   #111
jh7058622
Phoenix/Slayer/Rogue

Hey Zak you double posted. Shame. J/K lol

Buffy:I'd love to be upstairs watching TV, gossiping about boys, or god even studying but I have to save the world! Again~!

Rogue: When I was 13 had me a boyfriend till I kissed him...That's when I first realised if I touched anybody I absorbed their strength right into me. Some power huh? That's when the boys quit calling.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #112
xmenNewbie
New Mutant

Default Thanks

Dear Zac:
Thanks for the previous responses. With your busy schedule we really appreciate u taking the time to discuss the movie with us.
love the ending, I think it's so tragic the way Logan kills Jean, the woman he loves. The look on Jean's face was great, she was finally at peace and then she died, in Wolverine's arms. When the water comes down around him and he's holding her in his arms and screams "nooo" I just could not hold back the tears, and I just think it was great, loved it.
Good Job.

Last edited by xmenNewbie : 06-04-2006 at 11:40 PM. Reason: change
Old 06-05-2006, 12:08 AM   #113
ginny_weasley
New Mutant

Thanks for the answers Zak! This is truly a special treat for us fans - whatever complaints I may have about X3, you and Simon have earned a great deal of respect from me for answering our questions.

I know you're short on time, but just in case you get this far into the questions...

Some Phoenix Concept Art has recently appeared on Alp Altiner's site here:

http://www.alpaltiner.com/alp_naviga.../alp_xmen.html

About 3/4 the way down the page there's some concept art of the Golden Gate Bridge, looking as though it's being torn off/up/apart by the Phoenix Effect.

Had you and Simon envisioned or played around with Jean moving the bridge earlier in the scripts? Or was this just an artist experimenting with ideas?

(Though I'm quite satisfied with Magneto's bridge work - an amazing scene with or without the Phoenix Force).

As always, thank you for answering questions.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #114
WorthyStevens
Fallen Angel

Although I'm disappointed about not seeing Angel participate in the battle, I like that you said he was being "set up" in this movie.

And I know you said that you haven't had time to think about this lately, but do you have any ideas or thoughts about what to do with Angel in the future?

And for my own peace of mind, is it safe to guess that Warren can possibly make a Danger Room session (off-screen of course), by the end of the movie, or right after it?

Last edited by WorthyStevens : 06-05-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:43 AM   #115
powerbomb1411
Ms. Page's Future Husband

Hey Zak or Mr. Penn, however you prefer.

Three questions

First, I don't remember who it was, but it was said that the infamous AICN script review had changed, but the movie we saw seemed to be pretty dead on with the script review they had on their especially with the major spoilers. Any comment on that?

Second, about Cyclops but not about his role. It's still seems to be a nice debate on various forums on wether he is dead or alive or wether it's even clear cut. Now I am asking you this as a fan, me a fan and you a fan, one on one, fan to fan.

Looking at the facts then we never saw Cyclops die or see his dead body, and then the litte detail of everything at the lake being pretty much destroyed except for his glasses.

Now coming from your fan boy side, do you feel Cyclops is definately dead or do you feel their is enough evidence that could say he is still alive, perhaps a "telekenesis Coocoon" (Just like Jean apparently was in), or perhaps some (Mr.) Sinister works?

Third, well I didn't see it answered and I don't know if I posted it on the combined thread that was deleted.

For anyone that might still be speculating, was it a funeral or a memorial? (I was debating with someone else and they didn't find Marvel and Wizard reliable, they claimed it was a memorial.)

Thanks for answering all the questions you have, the fans really do appreciate what you and Simon are doing, it's nice to see our questions answered with out all the company (we do everything perfect) bull ****.

THE REAPER

Written and Created (Characters/Story) by Keith Robinson, Pencils By Ivan Barriga, Inked By Henrik "H" Horvath Colored by Paul Little (Bomb Queen IV), Letter by Franzisca Guedel, Edited by Michael Johnson.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:03 AM   #116
Zak Penn
VIP

Default More!

You said previously:

"There are more fan easter eggs in this movie than I can count."
Can you (or anyone else) clue me in to some or all of these?

* No, because there's more than I can count. almost every scene in the movie has some specific reference to a comic book or a specific scene in X-Men lore. There are obvious ones -- the danger room, the Sentinel, oh my stars and garters, the specific mutants in the background of many scenes, Trask -- and there are subtle ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWN3R RANGER
Seriously, what was this guy's purpose and who was he? He looks like Gambit.

He was in one shot in the movie, then never seen again. Can you explain?

* I have no clue. I think he's an extra but I really don't know. He ISN'T Gambit. Unless you want him to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedMan
Hey Zak and Simon,

How hard must it have been to write that scene with Angel in the bathroom? I'm just saying, it was a GREAT scene, my favourite in fact, but so heartrending!

* Thanks. Matthew Vaughn deserves some props for that scene.

I'm sure you've read the novelization; did you know ahead of time about your cameos? :P

* I have not read it. What is my cameo?

How much influence did you have on the novelization? Claremont seems to have taken a bunch of artistic license, but it's brilliant. Is what he writes what you planned to do with the characters but just couldn't due to a lack of screentime? I like it a lot and hope to see some of it in the extended edition.

* I guess I should check it out. We really had nothing to do with it other than a conversation with Chris about the Phoenix saga and the points we were struggling with. I'd be very curious to hear what he thinks of the movie.

Otherwise, I just have to say it was a fantastic movie; you all did the best you could with the material you had, the great spots overshadowed the good. Great work, guys.

* Thank you.

Originally Posted by yellowjacket1
I'm sorry but for sanity sake, I have to comment on some of these questions. There's obviously 120 million reasons why they did what they did. The record box office trumps any fanboy whining even in my book.

Q- Zak, do you agree with this statement? What fans are failing to see is that if they continue to whine about an excellent movie that generated this much money that they risk being tuned out by studios forever. Studio execs and writers will see them as meaningless and never listen to constructive criticism again.

* Do you want the good news or the bad news? The bad news is that studios, including the ones who are faithfull to the comics explicitly, do not have time to care about the hardcore fan community. They are giant corporations who need returns on their 200 million dollar investments. The good news is that the people who DO listen are the producers, directors, writers and actors, and on rare occasions that makes a difference. So no, I don't think making constructive criticisms about the movie means people won't listen to you anymore. And many people's points are well taken, they just sometimes get drowned out by people who troll through the boards trying to be dicks. As you can see from these questions, I would rather listen to what people have to say and try to learn something from it then dig my heels in and say "We made a lot of money and so the movie was great." I see a lot of crap posted about Lauren, Avi and Kevin, and I have to tell you, they DO listen to the fans. They just don't win every fight.

Originally Posted by warcam
If you were required to provide a plausible explanation as to how Magneto and the Brotherhood travel around so much without being detected (to Jean's house, back to the forest, to San Francisco, etc.), could you do it, and if so, how?

* I think I can do it pretty easily, actually. There are a buttload of mutants in Magneto's camp, many of them probably low level psychics, teleporters, etc. Plus, Magneto can commandeer a plane any time we wants (something that was in an early draft but got cut because of similarities with X2.)

Originally Posted by CapBeerCino
1) What was behind the decision to kill Cyclops off screen? (It comes off as him not being important enough to get a death scene imho).

* Ah, Capbeercino, I have read your many negative comments. I applaud your civility here. I don't think showing Cyclops obliterated would have made his death more important, it might even have read as needlessly cruel. But this was an editorial decision in any event, so you'd have to ask them.

2) Do you feel his death was morned by the other x-men as it should?

* I answered this already. No.

3) Is anyone (but you guys) in the x-3 production is aware of the fan reaction to Cyclops fate? Do you have any idea if James Marsden is?

* This is actually a very interesting question. I don't know if they are, and I'm very curious to hear how James Marsden feels. I have only met him a couple of times and we didn't get a chance to talk about it. Maybe someone will interview him for Superman and he will spill the beans. Let me know.

Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay
-Cyclops: There's no getting around it. Cyclops got the shaft. It was the wrong route to take with the character. There's really not much here (anything) for Cyclops fans to be happy with. And it inherently brings down the Phoenix Saga, and the movie. I don't know exactly what you're parameters were, but surely they were more related to his "Superman Returns" schedule, than Fox telling you that he had to die and not have a role in the film.

* Well, I answered this already. And you know what? Your assumptions are not necessarily correct. Simon and I wrote the script where he gets offed, that we will drag around with us. But that doesn't mean that guys have any idea how we fought or who told us what. Many of you do not understand how being a screenwriter works in Hollywood, and so you make assumptions about what it is we do.

There's about 2 scenes in particular that stand out to me that should have been Cyclops scenes;

1. Wolverine's fight in the woods, where he goes to try to bring Jean back. I think that would have been an amazing action sequence had that been Cyclops fighting against Spike, and the rest of the Morlocks (since they were never called "Omega Muties" in the film, I'm going to call them Morlocks), hiding in the crowd at Magneto's speech, and then following Jean off into the woods. Granted, you couldn't have Magneto launch Cyclops through the woods, as Cyclops isn't made of metal, but surely some way to get rid of Cyclops could have been found.

* That might have been a good scene, but it would never have made it into the shooting draft, much less been shot.

2. Wolverine marching up to the Phoenix, where he kills here. I know Cyclops doesn't have a healing power, and couldn't survive the hurricane of demolecularization, but as with the scenario above, surely there could have been a way to dramatically march Cyclops up to the love of his life, and be the one to off her. It pains me when I hear Wolverine say "No, not for them. For you. I love you" and then Phoenix goes all tame so he can kill her.

If that's how it would have played out, I would be a very happy man.

* Well, as I said before, I think the seeds of Logan being the one to kill Jean were set up in the first two films, even if that is sacrilege to the canon. And you know what, I worked on X2, so I think I am qualified to speak about this. I think getting Phoenix into this movie AT ALL was an achievement.

The other thing is... when the X-Men go for the final battle, how do you think it would have been to have Angel approach the X-Men, and ask if he could go along with them, since his father is on Alcatraz? He did overhear them, he knew they were going. It would have been great if he could have become a member of the team for the final battle. It wouldn't have changed too much, he still could have just saved his dad, but it would have given him a chance to be A.) Part of the team (as he was heavily advertised in his costume), and B.) Give him a chance to kick a little bit of ass in the final battle, make him a more useful character, and give Angel fans something to cheer for. And it would have given a bit more payoff for the introductory Angel flashback scene, as well.

* Well, we wrote that exact scene. But it didn't make it past the powers that be. There were actually some legitimate reasons for this having to do with production restraints, difficulty with the wings, etc, before everyone starts lumping this in with the Scott stuff.

After seeing the movie for a 2nd time, those would be my "complaints" with the movie. What are your guys' views on how those situations could have played out?

* Sounds like you had less complaints than me, which is how it should be.

Was it the stepford cuckoos at the funeral?

* Yes. Another Easter Egg.

will you have rogue back for your spin-off and find some explaination for her being a mutnat again,possibly give her different powers or let her control her old ones

* If I am able and Anna is willing and Fox doesn't throw me out on my ear for answering these questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstormfan
I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!! i thought it had great action and was very emotional, (i almost cried in the scene where phoenix kills xavier!!)

* Thank you. Did you notice the look on Xavier's face immediately before he is obliterated? It is there for a reason.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:04 AM   #117
Zak Penn
VIP

Default More

i think you guys did a great job, although it does seem that a lot more of the movie was cut than originally said:

Wolvy/iceman talk
Storm tidal wave
Storm/kitty scene
Parts of Danger room(it was said the version showed on Leno was cut up,but was same in the movie)
iceman/kitty kiss
Storm punching Callisto in the face..etc

Do you know why these scenes were cut?

* A lot of this stuff was cut for legitimate editorial reasons. Storm's tidal wave didn't cut into the scene correctly, it was out of sequence (I assume we'll see it on the DVD) The iceman kitty kiss was cut because -- guess what -- we decided it was too much and that Bobby wouldn't do it! So even though we are the guys who killed Cyclops, we do have tiny little hearts that occasionally beat.

Anyway i thought the movie was great,i just wish Storm's tidal wave scene hadn't been cut....hope it makes it to DVD

* See above.

oh, and congratulations on the HUGE BOX OFFICE!!!

* Thanks, but that's the marketing guys and you, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay
This question isn't "X-Men: The Last Stand" related. It's an "X2" question.

I don't know how heavy your involvement was on that film, and how late in the production you were, but I was always wondering this, and perhaps you know.

When Xavier is being manipulated to use Cerebro to kill the mutants, and Magneto comes in and switches it to the humans... and we see all the humans across the nation being hurt, it shows us the White House, and the President is waking up... he's not in pain anymore, but waking up as though he had already been attacked. Was it your intention (or the intention of the film makers period) to hint that the President was actually a mutant?

* This sequence was added after me. I have heard theories in both directions.

Incidentally, could I just say for the record that the fact that I got story credit on X2 doesn't mean I wrote "the story." It means I wrote an early draft of the script, and I lost credit in arbitration. I'd like to post my draft of X2 some day, maybe I am dead wrong, but I feel as though I made a significant contribution to that movie.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:29 AM   #118
Zak Penn
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbomb1411
For the sake of me proving I am right and someone else is wrong. Be honest. Was it a funeral or a memorial?

* It was written as a funeral for Xavier, which was part of the reason why Scott wasn't mentioned. .

Oh and Cyclops manages to still be a big discussion. From your view point as a fan and not a writer, do you think Cyclops is dead for sure or do you think he could still be alive seeing as how we never saw him killed and we never saw a body.

* I think the fact that we never saw either leaves things open, sure. But I will be honest and tell you that it wasn't intentionally open-ended on our part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh7058622
Hey Zak long time no C!!! hehehe ^_^
I wanted to know why in the movie we were not able to see Jean as pure energy coming up from the lake like in the early script review at AICN discribes? That was the next best thing to having the phoenix firebird. (tear ,~_~) Was it budget or time or a combination or something totally different? I also want to say that you really respected the killing of Scott in the movie and didn't make it just on a wim. Did you ever think that maybe Jean could have just thought that she killed him and then he come back at the end of the movie and they die together or she tells him he needs to let her go and kills herself like in the comic. It would have been extremely dramatic would have made the Cyke fans a little less upset. Was it more important to have Wolvie be the hero or is there something else? And finnally did you ever consider Rogue in any action because in interviews for x2 Anna Paquin said she really wanted to do some action and she didn't do any in x3?

* I think I addressed the Phoenix stuff, so let me tackle Rogue. I think we would all agree that there is a ****load of action in X3. Some people, including critics, seem to complain that there are no character scenes. Well guess what, Rogue got a bunch of character scenes. And although her powers are very cool, we have to dole out the time. She got the heart of the cure plot, Bobby got to ice up more. And incidentally, check out the first two movies; Rogue is nothing like she was in the comics. Lastly, Anna was filming another movie while we were shooting X3, so I'm pretty sure she wasn't even available for the third act.
Originally Posted by Magneto110
Zak...I heard you were leaving this board for a while. So I wanted to say thankyou for everything. It really has been a pleasure being able to correspond with one of the writers of a major motion picture.

* Thanks. It's been semi-fun and very interesting.

But before you leave us I just wanted to ask you. Is there any chance you could put Cyclops in your spinoff? Honestly Zak, out of the Magneto film and the Wolverine film, you have the best shot at a movie that will actually be a box office success. This is because fans want to see a number of familliar mutants in a film and not just a movie that focuses on one. If you look at the Super Hero Hype Boards.....nobody is interested in a Wolverine spinoff. Its kind of sad....how they are still going ahead and making it. I mean it has a chance to do decent at the boxoffice but wont even come near the sucess of any of the previous films. The SHH boards is probably the most popular movie comic book forums and if you look at the Xmen: The Last Stand section.....The Cyclops thread is by far the most popular and has been visited by thousands. We all wanna see more Cyke and Zak you have a chance to make that a reality. Your film has the most promise....and I honestly believe yours will do the best since its the closest thing to a Xmen sequel with a number of mutants. So please consider putting Cyclops in your film. He could easily be brought back since death is extremely relative in the X-men universe. He has such a huge fanbase and has been mistreated in the trilogy. I have faith in you Zak ....is there any chance you could incorporate Scott Summers in this film, the number one rated mutant in the recent Ign study and in the minds and hearts of many Xmen fans?

* Don't have too much faith in me, because I don't control the X-Men franchise. My spinoff hasn't even been discussed officially. But I hear you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman
And who's idea was it for colossus to only have one line and do basically nothing?

* That was this guy who posts as Kurosawa on SHH. He threatened us that we better not give Colossus a line or he would organize a boycott.
I'm not going to go in to why some of Peter's dialogue didn't make it in. He had a lot more to do than in X2, you gotta give me that.

Originally Posted by RangerKing
Is Jean/Phoenix truly dead or did she create a second body for her new personality and therefore she is still in the lake.

* As far as I'm concerned, she's dead. I love her, I love Famke, but I think it would be incredibly cheap to bring her back.

This next question branches off from the previous one, is the reason why Cyclops wasn't shown dying is because he is in the lake with the true body of Jean? Xavier, will he be able to "morph" this comatose body into his own image? Will the cure actually prove to only repress the mutant gene for a while and will start to reemerge and cause a virus for not only the mutants but also for the humans? Could we see Apolcaplyse and Mr. Sinister in the future as well as Magneto's children?

* These are questions that will need to be answered when the next movie comes about, but I don't have the answers now.

Also. Very very X-Cited about the prospects of an X-Kids movie. You strike me as a passionate fan with skills who's able to listen to the hardcore fanboys but cut through the bull**** as well.

* Can I just say that you are my favorite poster on these boards!

Can you give us some insight into Marvel's involvement with the franchise? I imagine an X-Kids movie setting up, or prequeling the next trilogy. Would that be a you decision? Studio? Jackman? Marvel? Who's overseeing this increasingly sprawling franchise? Any chance the X-Kids movie would be called "Generation X: Search for Xavier." kidding.

* The Studio controls this franchise. I am off writing the Hulk for marvel directly, and I am directing a low budget improvisational comedy this summer, so it could be a while before I get to this.

And incidentally, the Wrath of Khan reference is pretty apt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starCHILDE
Hi Zak!

As I told Simon, thanx for this amazing movie. It was the best of the three X-Movies and that's thanks to your job.

I have a couple of questions though:

1. Did you write any scene where Psylocke used her psi-blade or her telepathy? Was it filmed? Why did you decide to kill her?

* No, I didn't. I didn't realize she was going to be Psylocke till I saw the dailies. I thought she was going to be a random background mutant.

2. Now we all have seen it, which was your favorite scene of the movie?

* Hard to pick. I think the entire relationship between Magneto/Xavier/Jean and Logan works really well. I'm not sure that people are appreciating the full subtlety of it. The ambiguity of Xavier's decisions, the rage Jean feels for him, Wolverine's association with Jean and disgust with Xavier, Magneto's taunting followed by genuine regret over the death of his friend. I'm sorry, but there is some subtle, deep **** in there, and I think the actors played the hell out of it. My favorite moments were small ones:

-- The performance of the kid who played young angel
-- Xavier snapping at Logan about not needing to justify himself
-- Jean's sudden transformation, when she tells Logan that Xavier has tamed him (which he has!)
-- Magneto scolding Pyro
-- Every single moment with mystique. Simon and I fought like bitches in heat for the "I don't answer to my slave name" line.
-- Magneto " I have been marked once, my dear, and no needle will touch my skin again."
-- Beast meeting Leech. (I fought AGAINST this scene and was dead f-ing wrong.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretooth
Zak,

Q. Do you know if any cut scenes from X3 will be reinserted into the DVD??

* I don't know the plans yet.

Could you PLEASE try get Brett to put Storm's Alcatraz wave into the DVD cut of the movie?! I don't understand why that was cut from the theatrical version!

* I assume he'll put that on, but then again, I thought there would be a fire bird.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:29 AM   #119
Zak Penn
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbomb1411
For the sake of me proving I am right and someone else is wrong. Be honest. Was it a funeral or a memorial?

* It was written as a funeral for Xavier, which was part of the reason why Scott wasn't mentioned. .

Oh and Cyclops manages to still be a big discussion. From your view point as a fan and not a writer, do you think Cyclops is dead for sure or do you think he could still be alive seeing as how we never saw him killed and we never saw a body.

* I think the fact that we never saw either leaves things open, sure. But I will be honest and tell you that it wasn't intentionally open-ended on our part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh7058622
Hey Zak long time no C!!! hehehe ^_^
I wanted to know why in the movie we were not able to see Jean as pure energy coming up from the lake like in the early script review at AICN discribes? That was the next best thing to having the phoenix firebird. (tear ,~_~) Was it budget or time or a combination or something totally different? I also want to say that you really respected the killing of Scott in the movie and didn't make it just on a wim. Did you ever think that maybe Jean could have just thought that she killed him and then he come back at the end of the movie and they die together or she tells him he needs to let her go and kills herself like in the comic. It would have been extremely dramatic would have made the Cyke fans a little less upset. Was it more important to have Wolvie be the hero or is there something else? And finnally did you ever consider Rogue in any action because in interviews for x2 Anna Paquin said she really wanted to do some action and she didn't do any in x3?

* I think I addressed the Phoenix stuff, so let me tackle Rogue. I think we would all agree that there is a ****load of action in X3. Some people, including critics, seem to complain that there are no character scenes. Well guess what, Rogue got a bunch of character scenes. And although her powers are very cool, we have to dole out the time. She got the heart of the cure plot, Bobby got to ice up more. And incidentally, check out the first two movies; Rogue is nothing like she was in the comics. Lastly, Anna was filming another movie while we were shooting X3, so I'm pretty sure she wasn't even available for the third act.
Originally Posted by Magneto110
Zak...I heard you were leaving this board for a while. So I wanted to say thankyou for everything. It really has been a pleasure being able to correspond with one of the writers of a major motion picture.

* Thanks. It's been semi-fun and very interesting.

But before you leave us I just wanted to ask you. Is there any chance you could put Cyclops in your spinoff? Honestly Zak, out of the Magneto film and the Wolverine film, you have the best shot at a movie that will actually be a box office success. This is because fans want to see a number of familliar mutants in a film and not just a movie that focuses on one. If you look at the Super Hero Hype Boards.....nobody is interested in a Wolverine spinoff. Its kind of sad....how they are still going ahead and making it. I mean it has a chance to do decent at the boxoffice but wont even come near the sucess of any of the previous films. The SHH boards is probably the most popular movie comic book forums and if you look at the Xmen: The Last Stand section.....The Cyclops thread is by far the most popular and has been visited by thousands. We all wanna see more Cyke and Zak you have a chance to make that a reality. Your film has the most promise....and I honestly believe yours will do the best since its the closest thing to a Xmen sequel with a number of mutants. So please consider putting Cyclops in your film. He could easily be brought back since death is extremely relative in the X-men universe. He has such a huge fanbase and has been mistreated in the trilogy. I have faith in you Zak ....is there any chance you could incorporate Scott Summers in this film, the number one rated mutant in the recent Ign study and in the minds and hearts of many Xmen fans?

* Don't have too much faith in me, because I don't control the X-Men franchise. My spinoff hasn't even been discussed officially. But I hear you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman
And who's idea was it for colossus to only have one line and do basically nothing?

* That was this guy who posts as Kurosawa on SHH. He threatened us that we better not give Colossus a line or he would organize a boycott.
I'm not going to go in to why some of Peter's dialogue didn't make it in. He had a lot more to do than in X2, you gotta give me that.

Originally Posted by RangerKing
Is Jean/Phoenix truly dead or did she create a second body for her new personality and therefore she is still in the lake.

* As far as I'm concerned, she's dead. I love her, I love Famke, but I think it would be incredibly cheap to bring her back.

This next question branches off from the previous one, is the reason why Cyclops wasn't shown dying is because he is in the lake with the true body of Jean? Xavier, will he be able to "morph" this comatose body into his own image? Will the cure actually prove to only repress the mutant gene for a while and will start to reemerge and cause a virus for not only the mutants but also for the humans? Could we see Apolcaplyse and Mr. Sinister in the future as well as Magneto's children?

* These are questions that will need to be answered when the next movie comes about, but I don't have the answers now.

Also. Very very X-Cited about the prospects of an X-Kids movie. You strike me as a passionate fan with skills who's able to listen to the hardcore fanboys but cut through the bull**** as well.

* Can I just say that you are my favorite poster on these boards!

Can you give us some insight into Marvel's involvement with the franchise? I imagine an X-Kids movie setting up, or prequeling the next trilogy. Would that be a you decision? Studio? Jackman? Marvel? Who's overseeing this increasingly sprawling franchise? Any chance the X-Kids movie would be called "Generation X: Search for Xavier." kidding.

* The Studio controls this franchise. I am off writing the Hulk for marvel directly, and I am directing a low budget improvisational comedy this summer, so it could be a while before I get to this.

And incidentally, the Wrath of Khan reference is pretty apt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starCHILDE
Hi Zak!

As I told Simon, thanx for this amazing movie. It was the best of the three X-Movies and that's thanks to your job.

I have a couple of questions though:

1. Did you write any scene where Psylocke used her psi-blade or her telepathy? Was it filmed? Why did you decide to kill her?

* No, I didn't. I didn't realize she was going to be Psylocke till I saw the dailies. I thought she was going to be a random background mutant.

2. Now we all have seen it, which was your favorite scene of the movie?

* Hard to pick. I think the entire relationship between Magneto/Xavier/Jean and Logan works really well. I'm not sure that people are appreciating the full subtlety of it. The ambiguity of Xavier's decisions, the rage Jean feels for him, Wolverine's association with Jean and disgust with Xavier, Magneto's taunting followed by genuine regret over the death of his friend. I'm sorry, but there is some subtle, deep **** in there, and I think the actors played the hell out of it. My favorite moments were small ones:

-- The performance of the kid who played young angel
-- Xavier snapping at Logan about not needing to justify himself
-- Jean's sudden transformation, when she tells Logan that Xavier has tamed him (which he has!)
-- Magneto scolding Pyro
-- Every single moment with mystique. Simon and I fought like bitches in heat for the "I don't answer to my slave name" line.
-- Magneto " I have been marked once, my dear, and no needle will touch my skin again."
-- Beast meeting Leech. (I fought AGAINST this scene and was dead f-ing wrong.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretooth
Zak,

Q. Do you know if any cut scenes from X3 will be reinserted into the DVD??

* I don't know the plans yet.

Could you PLEASE try get Brett to put Storm's Alcatraz wave into the DVD cut of the movie?! I don't understand why that was cut from the theatrical version!

* I assume he'll put that on, but then again, I thought there would be a fire bird.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:32 AM   #120
Zak Penn
VIP

Default Sorry about the double posts

It's Harry Knowles fault.

Incidentally, feel free to comment on these answers, but I'm not going to answer anything after the questions Nell compiled. Sorry, but my life is crazy right now.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 AM   #121
phoenix_force
fire and power incarnate!

are you going to do any Q/A like you did with x3 for the hulk2?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:37 AM   #122
Alistair
Associate Member

I'm glad you did not decide to have Bobby "cheat" on Rogue. I'm sure he would have been hated if that had been the case
Old 06-05-2006, 05:54 AM   #123
Highlord
New Mutant

Zak, I like the movie more than the first two and I think X3 is the best in the franchise. I liked X1 and X2, but they didn't have really any impact one me, but this one had.
It's more emotional, far better action and scene in the house is one of the most beautiful action scene ever filmed.

I would like you to ask, if you would ever want to write in next X-Men (of course if there would be) Apocalypse?
How would you see it, would you write it, do you see it as it could be an interesing?

Last edited by Highlord : 06-05-2006 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:03 AM   #124
CapBeerCino
New Mutant

If the x-men aren't completely sure what happened to Scott (I thought it was clear to them he was dead) Then why no one was looking for him?
Storm and Logan only found Jean and Scott's glasses and left? Some friends...
Old 06-05-2006, 06:26 AM   #125
Nell2ThaIzzay
Associate Member

Originally Posted by CapBeerCino
If the x-men aren't completely sure what happened to Scott (I thought it was clear to them he was dead) Then why no one was looking for him?
Storm and Logan only found Jean and Scott's glasses and left? Some friends...
I know we're all upset about what happened to Cyclops in the movie, but Zak has already addressed this and "admitted" that this was an "error" in the storytelling. He agrees that more should have been done on the handling of Cyclops' death.

I don't think that we need to keep rubbing it in his face.

In fact, I'm starting to feel bad about the way I've pressed the situation. I really hope that Penn and Kinberg don't get the idea that I disliked this movie, because I loved it very much so. My 6 viewings are a testament to that.