Go Back   StarTrek-Online.NET > General Site > STOcast
Advertisements - These will disappear if you Register!

STOcast Episode #2, Featuring Mike Stemmle
Old June 4th, 2007, 23:35
Demosthenes offline
Administratus Extremus

Rep: Demosthenes has a spectacular aura aboutDemosthenes has a spectacular aura about
Arrow STOcast Episode #2, Featuring Mike Stemmle

StarTrek-Online.net is proud and excited to announce the release of STOcast, Episode #2 Feat. Mike Stemmle!

In this episode our hosts briefly discuss the continuously evolving community expectations and perception of Star Trek Online and we speak to STO's Story Lead, Mike Stemmle about his role at Perpetual Entertainment, what exactly he does and his motivations and inspirations in preparing the background and foundations on which Star Trek Online will be built.

[Download MP3] - Length: 44 min - 40.3 MB
[View Transcript]
[View Show Notes]

[00:00 - 01:15] ~ Introduction
[01:15 - 08:30] ~ Discussion segment
[08:30 - 08:53] ~ Intermission
[08:53 - 42:10] ~ Our interview with guest, Mike Stemmle!
[42:10 - 43:55] ~ Outro

Old June 4th, 2007, 23:42
Polt offline
The Great River of Supply

Rep: Polt is on a distinguished road
Total Awards: 7
Excellent User Badge: Awarded to users who make the most exceptional contributions via their behaviour and interaction on the forums. - Issue reason: STOnet's resident sailor of the Great River of Supply has been a constant contributor, whether it's through Personal Logs, the Starfleet Corps of Engineers sessions, NPC contribution to Subspace Transmissions, or simply through outstanding posts. Mark of Creativity: Awarded for submitting an article to the 'Personal Logs' section. - Issue reason: For your personal log submission 'An analysis of the  Pictureshow Ribbon: Awarded to users who submit a photograph of themselves to the 'Look at me!' pictureshow thread. - Issue reason: For your submission in the pictureshow thread! NPC contribution commendation: Awarded for nominating an NPC to appear in an issue of SST. - Issue reason: For nominating an NPC to appear in an issue of SST Commendable Post Award: Awarded for good content in a post. You can request this award for yourself or for others. - Issue reason: For your contribution to the 'Non-Fans' thread 
Woot! I have sooo been looking forward to this. Can't wait to listen to it. Have to run out for the evening, but I will listen when I get home later!

Thanks guys for working so hard on this!

POLT

Old June 4th, 2007, 23:47
Demosthenes offline
Administratus Extremus

Rep: Demosthenes has a spectacular aura aboutDemosthenes has a spectacular aura about
I subtitle this episode 'Killer Tribbles'

I'd like to say a massive thanks to Mike for taking part and giving us much to scrutinise and discuss in our continued agonising and anticipation of STO I've got some of my own feedback to everything he had to say, but I'll let you guys chip in first!

Old June 5th, 2007, 01:01
Daedelus offline
Intelligence Officer - GF

Rep: Daedelus is on a distinguished road
Total Awards: 2
SNDB contribution commendation: Awarded for submitting a starship name to the Starship Names Database. - Issue reason: For your contributions to the Starship Names Database! Pictureshow Ribbon: Awarded to users who submit a photograph of themselves to the 'Look at me!' pictureshow thread. - Issue reason: For your participation in the  
the hint of cardassians as a playable race makes me very happy.
Tribbles and mirror universe, i likes what im hearing

"Espionage is a risky business"

Gemini Fleet
Starfleet Communications

Old June 5th, 2007, 01:11
Jenkl offline
Crewman Apprentice

Rep: Jenkl is on a distinguished road
Amazing work guys! I love it!

Old June 5th, 2007, 01:12
Flatfingers offline
Designer of Systems

Rep: Flatfingers has a spectacular aura aboutFlatfingers has a spectacular aura about
Total Awards: 5
Mark of Creativity #3: Awarded for submitting 3 or more articles to the 'Personal Logs' section. - Issue reason: For your contributions to the Personal Logs section! Excellent Post Award #3: Awarded for outstanding content in a post, regardless of length. - Issue reason: It continues to be an enormous pleasure to read your consistently great quality contributions to the forum, both in your posts and the threads you create, I'm very pleased to have you receive the first tier 3 Excellent Post Award we've given, thanks! Mark of Clarity: Awarded for clearly conveying complex views and ideas in a thread. - Issue reason: For your continued concise and productive contributions to many of the debates and discussion around the site, great work! Promising new user: Awarded for introducing yourself to the community with multiple great contributions. - Issue reason: For your valued, concise and enjoyable contributions so far, keep it up! SNDB contribution commendation: Awarded for submitting a starship name to the Starship Names Database. - Issue reason: For your contributions to the Starship Names Database! 
Thanks much to Mountainforest for STOcast #2 with Aiten and Writerguy, and to Demosthenes and Perpetual's Mike Stemmle for bringing us a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the writing on Star Trek Online.

I really enjoyed Mike's sense of humor -- that gives me as good a feeling about ST:O as anything can.

That said (hey, there's that phrase again!), the word "fighting" sure came up an awful lot in this interview. (Fighting tribbles?) Of course combat has to be a part of ST:O, no question, but I'd really like to have heard about non-combat gameplay features that were also getting serious attention from the design and writing staff.

I'm especially looking forward to hearing whether any other active play mode is considered "core functionality" besides combat.

None of which detracts from my appreciation to Mike for taking the time to talk about what he's up to on ST:O. Gamers have to find something to fuss about; it's in our contract.

--Flatfingers

Old June 5th, 2007, 02:24
Starshelle offline
Chief Petty Officer

Rep: Starshelle is on a distinguished road
I really enjoyed that interview! Mike seems to be have a great sense of humor, and I look forward to seeing what him and the rest of the STO team put together. I do understand that fighting and combat will be a part of a game, but I hope some missions will allow for non-violent tactics as well.

Old June 5th, 2007, 03:11
Al Gorn offline
VOTE GREEN! VOTE GORN!

Rep: Al Gorn will become famous soon enough
Pictureshow Ribbon: Awarded to users who submit a photograph of themselves to the 'Look at me!' pictureshow thread. - Issue reason: For your submission in the pictureshow thread! Commendable Post Award: Awarded for good content in a post. You can request this award for yourself or for others. - Issue reason: Excellent contribution to the 'Intelligent Area Design' thread 
Thanks a million for the new episode.

Mirror Universe.... droooool - lovin it!

ps. I just noticed I hit my 2nd Anniversary with ST:Onet. woohoo.

The forum lurker formerly known as BlixNado...

Last edited by Al Gorn : June 5th, 2007 at 08:14.

Old June 5th, 2007, 05:09
Simeet Gandhi online
Crewman

Rep: Simeet Gandhi is on a distinguished road
Total Awards: 1
Commendable Post Award: Awarded for good content in a post. You can request this award for yourself or for others. - Issue reason: For your posts in the 'Non-Fans' thread 
Nicely done episode, but hugely dissapointing content.
Yeah, it is indeed too much to expect a Star Trek experience with Star Trek Online. Sigh.
Yeah, let's give Perpetual a pass for not staying true to the IP and bowing down to the success of WoW. Really.
Expecting starship exeriences really was too much, lets' get one with the phasers and photon torpedoes.

Why even call it Star Trek Online? Why not World of Starcraft?

It's clear that Star Trek is a mainstream license, and most of the people drawn to it will be expecting the Star Trek experience. Perpetual is cheating by cashing in on the license while being incredibly lazy and just copying the gameplay mechanics of WoW.

What a dissapointment. The time I spent following this game and expecting something bold was a huge waste of time. I really was not expecting such a blind side blow.

The more dedicated people and even casual gamers will not forget this. This decision by PE will be cemented in its history, they will never be able to recover from the PR backlash. And prove me wrong.

Old June 5th, 2007, 08:36
Kinneas offline
Illustrator

Rep: Kinneas has a spectacular aura aboutKinneas has a spectacular aura about
Total Awards: 3
Mark of Artistry: Awarded for noteworthy artwork in the Art and Graphics forum. - Issue reason: For your continued contributions of art to the community. Commendable Post Award: Awarded for good content in a post. You can request this award for yourself or for others. - Issue reason: Post #10 in 'The Fallacy of Chasing the MMORPG Fan' was nominated by a user for this ribbon! SCE contribution commendation: Awarded for contributing to a Starfleet Corps of Engineers IRC session. - Issue reason: For your contribution to an SCE session! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeet Gandhi View Post
The more dedicated people and even casual gamers will not forget this. This decision by PE will be cemented in its history, they will never be able to recover from the PR backlash. And prove me wrong.
I appreciate your viewpoint very much yet do hope you are wrong. I do not mean that in any hostile way.

Painfully I say, you could be very right.
--------------------------
Mr. Stemmle.

On reigning in the 'Silly'. Don't reign yourself in toooooo much.

Tholians and Gorn. !!! I'm a TOS kid. You're speaking my kinda' language.

On Klingons and the 'Klingon Warrior' to be used on UFP ships. Whew... That one does indeed seem the toughest one to deal with. It seems very historic and controversial.
---

Very nice episode #2 folks.

Old June 5th, 2007, 08:59
Botanybay online
Lieutenant

Rep: Botanybay will become famous soon enough
SNDB contribution commendation: Awarded for submitting a starship name to the Starship Names Database. - Issue reason: For your submissions to the Starship Names Database! Commendable Post Award: Awarded for good content in a post. You can request this award for yourself or for others. - Issue reason: For your continued contributions of well reasoned and thoughtful posts 
Darn, I am at work right now and cant listen to the interview. Mike Stemmle is the man I put the most hopes in for making ST:O a hell of a good game whith loads of story content and the exact right ammount of humor. Allways have been a fan of the Adventure Game attitude and believe that the company that succeedes first to incorporate the spirit of games like "Monkey Island" together whith modern ways of action packed gameplay will easily dominate the market after a short period of time.

Mike, I count on you! Do you hear me?!

Cant wait to listen to that interview, once I am at home.

Internetconnection: 20 Euros
Star Trek Online: 40 Euros
A real Life: Priceless

Old June 5th, 2007, 10:26
Gabsau offline
Petty Officer 1st Class

Rep: Gabsau will become famous soon enough
Total Awards: 1
Commendable Post Award: Awarded for good content in a post. You can request this award for yourself or for others. - Issue reason: For your well presented contribution to the 'What do you hope most...' thread 
Great interview guys!
And a big thanks to Mike for all the handy info he supplied. I'm really hoping the game will sport an interesting, yet engaging story throughout the world. One of the things I liked about the recently released LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) was the story element - the 'missions' were about character growth and exploration. You had combat of course, but there were many other elements to the mission stories which made them intriguing.

I'd have to agree with Flatfingers, I would have liked to have heard more information about non-violent missions and outcomes. The word 'fighting' did crop up many times throughout the interview, and I hope the game will sport many elements and functionalities which are not centralised on combat. In my opinion, there's more to Star Trek than combat. (eg: different possible ways to complete a mission: diplomacy, exploration or combat)

Anyhow, I so can't wait for this game! Seems like it is shaping up ok, oh - and I hate the teases! hehe :P

Old June 5th, 2007, 11:48
Fraek offline
Fleet XO, Gemini Fleet

Rep: Fraek will become famous soon enough
Total Awards: 4
Excellent Post award: Awarded for outstanding content in a post, regardless of length. - Issue reason: For your outstanding thread,  Pictureshow Ribbon: Awarded to users who submit a photograph of themselves to the 'Look at me!' pictureshow thread. - Issue reason: For your submission in the pictureshow thread! Commendable Post Award: Awarded for good content in a post. You can request this award for yourself or for others. - Issue reason: For your great posts in the 'Life in the Beta Quadrant' thread SNDB contribution commendation: Awarded for submitting a starship name to the Starship Names Database. - Issue reason: For your submissions to the Starship Names Database! 
So... ...in addition to Vulcans being space-Elves, we now have the Bimphalians being space-Frogloks, but at least the Tellarites won't be space-Dwarves?
Anyhow; nice podcast! It's good to hear they're making progress and that there will be Tribbles for my Klingon to fight! Hopefully this will mean I can put together a team and go on excursions to honor the warriors who gave their lives to the Great Tribble Hunt!

Old June 5th, 2007, 11:52
Demosthenes offline
Administratus Extremus

You can blame me for not seizing the opportunity to prod and poke a little more into areas of non-combat gameplay, perhaps Mike can enlighten us a little on that later because I've no doubt the game isn't all pew pew, but at this stage of development where the mechanics of combat seem to be what is being implemented its understandable that's what Mike will be most concerned with making fit right now- but I'm on that side, hoping there are many other elements besides crying havoc and letting slip the dogs of war

I really enjoyed hearing about the development from Mike's perspective and how the story, which there sounds to be plenty of, is woven into the fabric of core MMORPG functionality. It's a shame we didn't hear more about the depth of missions and how the player might directly interact with story elements but I guess as Mike pointed out that's a consequence of where they're at with development right now, but it sounds like a lot of time and effort is going into developing an extensive and detailed background which I can't wait to get to grips with.

Couple of nuggets, no definitive final playable race list but it seems safe to say the Klingons, Cardassians, Ferengi and Tellarites are definitely still on the slate (and I live with the assumption Humans and Vulcans are no brainers ) so there's still some speculation to be had on what other races are in. *Crosses fingers for Andorians*- I was also happy for some clarification on how those races will fit under the banner of Starfleet, and that the Klingon Empire will definitely be left intact and alive as a separate entity even if there be reason for their citizens to be serving alongside Starfleet officers in the game. Eh, after all that effort and scrutiny expended in the last couple of months those Blimps aren't even close to the primary threat, but if they look anything like writerguy's concept they'll be amusing to bump into

But you know, talk of the Orion Syndicate, subordinate races, Gorn, Tholians, a demilitarised Cardassia, sectors with sprawling backstory and the extensive inspirations being drawn upon to develop the foundations of the story really infuses some confidence in me that there'll be plenty to explore and engage in before we have to warm up the torpedo tubes and turn off the safety on our phasers- though I'm looking forward to that too

As for Killer Tribbles Where's my Bat'leth...

Old June 5th, 2007, 15:14
Powerhelm offline
Lieutenant

Rep: Powerhelm will become famous soon enough
Total Awards: 4
Excellent Post award: Awarded for outstanding content in a post, regardless of length. - Issue reason: For your excellent contributions to the 'Non-Fans' thread Starship Engineer Award: Awarded to users who submit an excellent and thoroughly detailed Starship Design to the Starship Design Bureau. - Issue reason: This medal has been awarded for the exemplary work on the design of the Redemption class. The interesting ideas were compiled well into a good description and a well organised diagram NPC contribution commendation: Awarded for nominating an NPC to appear in an issue of SST. - Issue reason: For nominating an NPC to appear in an issue of SST Starship Design Award: Awarded to users who successfully submit a complete design to the Starship Design Bureau. - Issue reason: For your submissions to the SDB! 
I noticed mike said something about setbacks and annoyance. One thing they could do is increase the experience/rewards per setback so you could interact with something and a screen comes up saying this could have unforeseen side effects though these affects could be good or bad. Good = Like Mike said a surprise extra mission or perhaps makes the mission you're on easier, Bad = a setback but conquering it gives more rewards.

Also warning people that there could be setbacks in the mission acceptance screen.
I prayed for one week to god and one week to Spock. I found my prayers were answered more often the week I prayed to Spock. I think I'll stick with him. I appreciate efficiency and attention from my deities.