The 13 Essentials of the Spokane Mountaineers
As a standard in the outdoors, those participating in Mountaineer activities
should carry the 13 essentials. Trip coordinators should check to make sure that
participants have these items with them.
- MAP (topographic map of the area).
- COMPASS (e.g., Silva type with a plastic base plate, with 2° markings,
for orienting compass to map).
- SUN PROTECTION (sunglasses with 98-100% UV protection, sunscreen with a
sun protection factor of 15+, lip balm).
- EXTRA FOOD AND WATER (emergency packet of high energy food, minimum of 1 quart water).
- EXTRA CLOTHING to keep you warm and dry.
- HEADLAMP/FLASHLIGHT with extra bulb and batteries.
- FIRST AID KIT.
- FIRE STARTER (candle, paste, or other commercial starter).
- MATCHES in a waterproof container with a striker.
- POCKET KNIFE.
- SIGNALING DEVICE (whistle and/or mirror).
- EMERGENCY SHELTER (e.g., tarp, reflective blanket such as a Space Blanket,
or tube tent).
- TOILET PAPER AND TROWEL.
Copyright © 2000 Spokane Mountaineers, Inc.