Our school is named for a man and a saint
whose watchword was courtesy.
St. Francis de Sales, Bishop of Geneva and Doctor of the Church,
was born in
1567 and died in 1622. He was a man of the Renaissance, obtaining
degree in the arts and his Doctorate in both Civil and Canon Law.
St. Francis de Sales was a gentleman. His
courtesy was more than surface; it
was charity in action. No one fell outside the scope of his charity
was the object of his love. Our namesake is an excellent model
for all educated
in St. Francis' classrooms.
The School Sisters of Mary Immaculate of
Joliet, Illinois staffed the St.
Francis de Sales parish schools since 1893. In the late 1890s
the school began to
offer high school courses. In the fall of 1937, due to the increased
higher education, St. Francis de Sales became a four year high
school, with an
enrollment of 180 students. St. Francis presented diplomas to
the 21 seniors who
comprised its first four-year graduating class on June 11, 1939.
In the 1950s
enrollment saw a significant increase and it became evident that
if the school were
to meet the educational challenges before it, an expansion of
facilities was eminent.
The East Side community readily accepted
the challenge. The desires of the
parishioners, combined with the untiring efforts of the late
Stritch and the late Monsignor Alphonse Memmesheimer, then pastor
parish, along with the continued support of Albert Cardinal Meyer,
broken for a new school on February 19, 1956. Two years later,
on April 20, 1958
Msgr. Memmesheimer presided at the dedication of the new St.
Francis de Sales
High School. Since 1962 St. Francis de Sales High School
has been sponsored by the Archdiocese of Chicago.
facility houses 30 classrooms and laboratories,
a cafeteria, gymnasium, multi-purpose rooms and a
chapel. Recent renovations have been made to the science and
computer labs. St. Francis de Sales provides a safe and enriching
environment where students and teachers can come together
to learn, worship and grow.
We are proud
of the important role we play in the community.
St. Francis de Sales anchors the southeast
Chicago neighborhoods of the Eastside, Hegewisch and South
Chicago. We draw students from other Chicago neighborhoods,
as well as south suburban communities and northwest
communities of Indiana.
Nearly 45% of our current student
body attended public grammar schools and junior high schools.
A little more than 50% of our current student body is from the
neighboring communities surrounding St. Francis de Sales.